Sign in to follow this  
Apex

New 2012 3 Series as driven by Autocar.

This looks like it is be quite a good car, one I think brings BMW up to date. I do fair it will again be too expensive in our market though, as tested that's a 28,000.00 GBP or $56,500 NZD car but will cost 80 - 90k when its here.

As much as I love BMW's they really are no longer the premium car the NZ dealers price them at, it should be a sub 70k car in NZ to compete with the likes of the Ford Mondeo, VW Passat etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/autocar?featur...u/0/i-9xcwd6sY0

2.0 Turbo and 8-Speed DSG or 6-Speed manual sounds like a nice package, add an LSD and life is good.

Very nice.

True.. at least it's not a french thing.... and a Ford Mondeo or Passat is not in the same league as a BMW

They were never the pinicle of motor cars in NZ anyway. We have training courses starting early '12. Looking to be a good car.

True.. at least it's not a french thing.... and a Ford Mondeo or Passat is not in the same league as a BMW

I'm sure you have driven everything and know what is best so I trust your judgment there, I personally have not driven the new Passat or 3 series so am unsure.

I trust they are not as good as the new BMW but I struggle to see where the BMW is 40k better than a Mondeo or Passat in both specification, dynamics or technology, its hard to see where the extra cost comes from as a potential buyer of a medium sized European car as our next car, its no safer nor fuel efficient, nor is it bigger, they all come from Europe so its not freight. 40k is one hell of a premium.

If you start comparing what people pay for them in America and Europe you will see we pay a massive premium for them over here where other European cars only cost marginally more here than they do in Europe.

If it were priced properly they would sell sh*t loads of them for sure!

Anyway, its an exciting car, one that BMW need IMHO, its not a six but there is a lot to be said for new turbo BMW's!

I am not sure if you guys aware, Germany got slammed with the new Euro 5 emission standard last year, which has forced all German manufactures to use turbos on their new cars and reduce the capacity of their engines (new Mercs and BMWs), hence less straight sixes for BMW and less enormously large V8 for Mercs. Opel and Audi have already introduces turbo engines into their releases ages ago. Another reason, why the new 3 series is not a straight six could be because the new M3 is going to be straight six, and looking at that video I can hardly see how da hell are they going to be better than this. How are they going to make it worth having an M-car rather than just normal 3-series. Unless it is going to be some rocket spaceship with incredibly good fuel consumption :) I guess we will see very soon.

Easy, it will have the same attributes ans the 1M, sporty suspension, LSD, wide wheels, better tyres, steering tune etc.

M cars are a lot more than just engine. The whole geometery is different in an M car. As well as specail parts to help reduce weight in the right areas. The is extended through out the car to give a tighter more dynamic drive.

This looks like it is be quite a good car, one I think brings BMW up to date. I do fair it will again be too expensive in our market though, as tested that's a 28,000.00 GBP or $56,500 NZD car but will cost 80 - 90k when its here.

As much as I love BMW's they really are no longer the premium car the NZ dealers price them at, it should be a sub 70k car in NZ to compete with the likes of the Ford Mondeo, VW Passat etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/autocar?featur...u/0/i-9xcwd6sY0

2.0 Turbo and 8-Speed DSG or 6-Speed manual sounds like a nice package, add an LSD and life is good.

If you are really serious about buying one then why dont you buy it brand new in the UK and ship it to NZ yourself shipping and duty wouldn't be more than 20K so you would be able to land it here for 70 odd Grand...

If you are really serious about buying one then why dont you buy it brand new in the UK and ship it to NZ yourself shipping and duty wouldn't be more than 20K so you would be able to land it here for 70 odd Grand...

even better, get a VAT Qual one and you get the VAT back @ 20%, then add on NZ GST @15% plus shipping and inspection

I reckon you could land one for about $NZD 57k based on UK£28000, thats almost mondeo money.

Sounds good eh! Group buy?

Sounds good eh! Group buy?

I am in! In 3 years time :)

Edited by swordfish

Guest Ari Gold

Add an LSD and life is good... Drop 40k and they'd sell heaps...

I'm not sure you're the target market to be honest.

Agreed.

Just like any brand, you get what you pay for. BMW is a premium class vehicle, a Mondeo is not.

Nuff said. I've owned a late model Mondeo and whilst they are made well they don't compare with a new BMW. Over my old E53 the newer ones feel even better made.

Out of interest who is target market these days?