Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

School me on Vans...

The upside is i have been put in charge of up to 10k to spend on a van for work. The downside is, i dont know anything about vans. I need something big so Hiaces and L300s etc are ruled out. Something tells me to stay euro obviously, but its not my vehicle so need best bang for buck

- 90% of our work is in the city, and involves motrway driving to get there

- Must be able to carry a full to the brim load of electronic gear. this includes CRT (lead) TVs like you grand pearants still have etc so needs a good loading weight

- May be required to go up welly hills from time to time, so really looking between 2.5L and 3.0L, i think most are anyway

- Not bothered on automatic or manual, unless you guys say i should be. everyone that works here can drive both.

- MUST be rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

- Low maintenece and/or something that a home mechanic (ie me!) can work on would be good too

So anything fit all of those? looking at these for starters. Not the actual listings, but just to give you an idea of model

Ford Transit - common as right? but its a ford?Posted Image

Merc Sprinter - apparently very wide and not too long which would be much easier for parking the thing in town, but borderline out of pricerange.. worth getting a cheapy?

Posted Image

Merc Vito - are these FWD though?

Posted Image

VW Transporter - ummm??

Posted Image

anything else???

Posted Image

thanks!

The Mercs are good as their floors are virtually completely flat, although I dunno what the effect is on their internal height.

That last one, avoid! Every time I see one of those, I think, ooh, cool... and then see it a few days later either broken down or getting repaired (usually rear diff?!). Must say though, cutting off the back and turning it into a cabinet would be awesome... :D

The VW transporters are FWD too (from the shape you show there anyway - the T4). They are pretty good I understand

Why RWD? FWD often has better traction - do you know how easy it is to get a RWD van stuck??? Even in a driveway (when they twist they lose grip on the rear). The front wheels tend to be on the ground all the time, coz the engines up there. I've seen a van in a driveway with the rear wheel not even touching the road. The higher the load rating, the more likely it is to happen!

You can get hiaces in LWB etc, but they are pretty crap really (our work one is sh*t - NO power (75 kw from 2.5 D4D diesel turbo!) and is always making funny noises and failing injectors, brakes get stones in ALL the time). The old shape NZ assembled ones rust like a 70's corolla too (used to manage a rental company - they were always out for welding).

TD transits actually go very well, but I don't know how long for! There should be heaps of parts around, but they aren't known for good rust proofing either!

I know nothing about the mercs..... the brand new ones are VERY nice, but that doesn't really help you!

Jeez - I just re-read what I wrote... no help whatso ever... is it!

Edited by Allanw

From what I have researched in looking for a Motorhome based on these vans, the Later Transits are apparently much better - the TDi ones - the pic you posted is the older non Turbo I think.

You can buy a brand new Long Block TDi from Ford parts for not too much money, so look closer at the body would be my advice.

2006 and newer Mercs are rebadged VW LT46's whihc is a good thing, 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel, but I doubt you will get one for your budget.

Really wanting rwd because the engine is maybe 200kg max, but having a van full of computer gear all the weight will be over the back wheels. We currently use three station wagons, two of which are fwd and one rwd (my e34 daily) and the e34 is easily the best when wet. The other two just sit there spinning the wheels if there is rain gravel or hills are involved. When it comes to chassis flex, i dont think it will make a difference being fwd or rwd anyway? There are two diagnally opposing wheels that have no weight on them anyway.

Any other experience?

I'm biased being a Pom, but to me you can't look past a diesel transit, especially the later turbo with electronic injection control on them. Many, many happy memories of blasting around the UK and Europe in Tranny vans.

Has to be white, has to have a chocolate bar and copy of the The Sun in the front window, and England flags are compulsory for at least a month before any major football tournament :D .

Other than that, they're great!

TDI transit

I have a mark 5 smiley transit the first one pictured, bloody good van I load it to the hilt tow the caravan just throw life at it and it just loves me for it great work horse. The paint is real thin on them though as Ford guessed most companies who brought them would paint them - this has been the death knell of most of them. They have worked real hard too so been around the globe 4 or 5 times by now most of them.

For $10k I would go as high in the years as you can with a transit.

Posted Image

Or alternatively

Posted Image

Nothing wrong with a Transit - I had one that had done 3 laps of Europe on one oil change and no air filter.... Still started every time first flick of the key (even in winter) although the best I had was 65 mph downhill with a tail wind and the door locks were merely a suggestion on the Ford options list.

Edited by elmarco

Great have narrowed it down to either a merc vito and a ford transit. Ran this past the boss and more inclined to go with the merc. I talked to a customer who mentioned that they used to have a transit like the one pictured which was screaming at 100km/h. Having the indicators and wipers the "right way around" would be good too.

Does anyone know if the merc vitos are fwd though? I cant find anything online.

I drove a Mercedes Campervan in Auztralia 2.7 Diesel it was nice enough to drive, not very fast though, but comfortable for the weight of it... biggest vehicle I've driven myself so I'm not really the one to talk haha.

strange gearbox... tiptronic that you work sideways :S

I recently test drove a Merc Viano when looking for a people mover. I think it's closely related to the Vito. I liked it from a practical viewpoint but the moment I drove it I absolutely hated it. A pillar was huge and obscured my vision. It made a heap of noise and went nowhere fast.

This !!

This is what you need :P

Or this (but there's a compromise on load space)

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/renault/1994-...f1-ar34982.html

Edited by rogan

saw a few hyundai H1s today, what about those, are they any good? i know Chorus use them...

We had a rental H1 in Melbourne when we were over there.

was a minivan version with slush box. Manual box would be so much better.

they are... EVERYWHERE in Australia.

does anyone know what the correct name for the wider hiaces are? in the new shape, you can get ones that are 150-200mm or so wider than the standard model... all the tour companies i used in Thailand had them.. were they even available here?

... that bit extra will make all the difference for usability

I think they are the Hiace ZX rather than ZL. All the ZX are hi-top and longer, not too sure about being wider though.

yep, the ZX's we have here at work are wider - quite a lot wider. Nearly has as much space as my '84 VW! The narrow ones feel like you're crammed into a Bambina. There's probably 200mm difference, feels like more though.

yep, the ZX's we have here at work are wider - quite a lot wider. Nearly has as much space as my '84 VW! The narrow ones feel like you're crammed into a Bambina. There's probably 200mm difference, feels like more though.

Thanks for that. Now i know the name i can get more relevant results than "widebody hiace".... All sorts of monstrosities have been coming up!

Well, a long time has passed, and ended up getting none of these vehicles, but a got a Ford Econovan instead about 8 months ago. high kms but rebuilt engine top and bottom and scruffy inside, exactly what i needed. Was from a crowd that went bankrupt and flogging them off (story goes that the owner died and all sorts of debt uncovered etc).

Anyway, I changed the dizzy, rotor, leads and plugs for a $5 note (well it felt like that) certainly a LOT cheaper to maintain than any BMW new or old! Goes really well, but seems the economy isnt the best and never has been. ive just dealt with it because its a work vehicle, but seeing as i wont need it for several weeks when I close up shop, i might as well take it to bits lol.

---

It currently is getting around high 12-13L/100km which does seem high. its used as a delivery vehicle, so almost exactly half the time its 100% empty, the other half its got about 800kg at a guess worth of gear in the back, mostly desktop computers, CRT monitors that sort of gear. and most of the driving is on the motorway, with some nipping around the CBD thrown in for good measure so very little stop start driving.

or is this normal milage for a van and hype over nothing?

run on 91 gas, 1997 Ford Econovan/Mazda Bongo etc (boxy shape, not the newer rounder shape)

Use the wag for a week then go back to the van, it'll seem so much better.

Use the wag for a week then go back to the van, it'll seem so much better.

:lol: used to use my scruffy E34 525i wagon!

yeah, petrol vans are shite for economy, honestly the gear ratio's are all wrong for highway driving and the engines are low tech and not at all tuned for economy!

yeah, petrol vans are shite for economy, honestly the gear ratio's are all wrong for highway driving and the engines are low tech and not at all tuned for economy!

I think its doing about 3 grand at 1000km/h, but then the 316i does the same and thats getting like 6L/100km