Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Early Xmas Present

So I finally found a boat that was being looked after in the way that I would look after my own boat, so I bought myself an early Xmas present:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top speed is an estimated 78mph. Saw well over 60mph on sea trials, but was still accelerating and had to put gps down and hang on. Will dash-mount gps at some point and report back.

Yehaa!

extreeem man... enjoy your summer with it.

That will be a heap of fun. 1850 Bullet is a great boat - good combo of speed, protection and useable space.

Oh my lord that is awesome. I'd put a tow bar on the M3 for that bad boy

NIce choice Graham but it looks nothing like the type of boat you were originally looking for.

When's our first fishing trip, or won't you allow smelly old rods, bait, berley bombs etc on board?

You're right Brian - not what I was originally after, but once I got a taste for this sort of boat (and realised that it was possible to get one with a moderate vee hull), then there was no looking back.

Has foot throttle and trim controls on steering wheel = very easy to drive.

Will be kitting out with a few extras in the new year - fixed VHF (handheld for now), the all-important stereo, a few cleats, etc for tying up (being a lake boat 'til now it has none), maybe a wake boarding arch.

Have put the pre-requisite safety gear on board before anyone asks.

Looking out the window of the office at the landing in Okahu Bay and wondering if an early knock-off isn't on the cards....

hahaha awesome .. love the black cover for it, so miami vice launching on the boat ramp

Very nice, looks like a really quick boat! Does it only have rope steering system? would have thought with 200hp it would have to be hydraulic?

Very nice, looks like a really quick boat! Does it only have rope steering system? would have thought with 200hp it would have to be hydraulic?

The steering system is galvanised wire (no stainless allowed!) and is the only way to go with this type of boat. All the fastest outboard race boats run it. A few have power assistance at the helm, but they still run wire to the engine wings.

It gives a level of feel and precision that hyraulic can't match. Hydraulic is easy to turn, but feels dead, and you need to feel what the gearbox and prop are doing in the water to be able to drive a boat like this fast. Hydraulic systems are ususally pretty scary on a boat this fast - there are a few around - my advice is watch someone drive it first before accepting a ride.

The Haines 1900s I trialled before I bought this was hydraulic. But it topped out a shade under 50kts and the hydraulic was a dream. I think it was set up wrong to only get that much out of a 225. Under propped probably.

Turbo is correct, it has Galv wire wing steering. It's pretty good.

Owned for 48hrs now and been out twice. Once on a shakedown run with a mate up the western Waitemata, and then out to Motuihe this afternoon with three attractive young ladies from last night's night on the town. Was sunny when we left, but pissed down on the way home, raindrops like bullets. All arrived back soaked but with grins a mile wide. I love this thing already. Less than 20 minutes from Okahu Bay ramp to on the beach with our feet up in Wharf Bay at "cruising" speed. B)

Not really. Ferry wakes and some slight chop, but it's actually surprisingly dry and soft ride. On very flat water there is some slap as it sits up on the pad, but in chop the vee cuts through most of it. Awesome spray deflection from the bow - like a knife. And it spends a lot of time in the air (thinks it's a plane) and air is pretty soft :D

I know nothing about boats, but that looks really cool!

... And it spends a lot of time in the air (thinks it's a plane) and air is pretty soft :D

Remember there is also a two second rule for boating. If you are in the air for more than two seconds, landing is going to hurt.

Standing is always more comfortable than sitting down in a boat... a real boat :P ... Nice ski trolley though Graham