Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Build Project

Good Day members, im new to the forums, even tho i have been a member since 2007 (I forgot)

I have an E39 528i Manual that i will be building up for track and drag. I have pulled out the M52B28 from my Auto E39 that broke and will be rebuilding the entire engine.

Now i have the following on the "to do" list for mods and some mods have already been ticked off, but am keen for more ideas..

- M50 2.5 Intake system (already installed and tested)

- ECU Remapp, but will need to track someone down to assist with that side.

- 3mm steel gaskets with inline carbon fibre threading

- 2X2.5" exhaust with custom twin mufflers

- Custom extractors (already built and installed)

- US Spec M3 Cams (does anyone know where to get these, besides the US)

- SC14 Supercharger

- Fibre Hood, Bootlid and body kit (currently building)

Does anyone know what the CC rating on the M52B28 is and will these need to be upgraded.

My E36 2.8 had a similar set up that ran 310 rwhp (minus the M3 Cams and Injector Upgrade), so im hoping to get more for the E39.

I have also researched from the lads in Japan on how to lighten this heavy lady, so we will be chopping allot of steel and replacing it with Carbon fibre.

Thanks,

François

- 3mm steel gaskets with inline carbon fibre threading

What is this?

- US Spec M3 Cams (does anyone know where to get these, besides the US)

They cost plenty more outside the US. Getting the cam reprofiled in the country might work out better

Does anyone know what the CC rating on the M52B28 is and will these need to be upgraded.

What sort of power are you hoping to make? I'm assuming you want to know the injector size not engine size. Otherwise it's nearly 2800cc (84mmx84mm bore and stroke. you can do the math)

- ECU Remapp, but will need to track someone down to assist with that side.

Gavin from Hi Velocity can help you there. He has all the correct checksums for your DME to remap it.

Gavin from Hi Velocity can help you there. He has all the correct checksums for your DME to remap it.

Bet me to is. +1 for Gav

Thanks for the replys.

BBS - I am wanting to know the Injector Size of the M52B28. Since this will be forced induction, i am wanting to up them to larger injectors, but only if needed.

Hybrid and Young Jack, ill contact Gavin this week to get some more information for the ECU Remap.

I will be happy with anything from 350 - 400 HP, which im sure is do-able after complete rebuild with all the mods.

the sc14 wont come anywhere near that power level you would need to use a sprintex or similar but from the looks way out of your budget

the sc14 wont come anywhere near that power level you would need to use a sprintex or similar but from the looks way out of your budget

Our budget is not the issue, the issue is that we want more power out of the engine before installing the SC14. So our goal is to get the car to good NA HP levels prior to FI which is why i have posted this asking for other ideas.

We chose the SC14 for several reason, mainly because it can be configured to kick in by the touch of a button and because it fits perfectly under the M50 intake which gives it the "Stock" look which is needed for the race class we are wanting to race in.

IF we are stull not happy with the outcome after the build, we will install our Vortech system and try get that to appear "stock"

Which race class is this? There are plenty of ways to hide away stuff. Look up how people hide turbo's in California

How do you fit the supercharger under the intake without moving the alternator or power steering?

Got any pictures of your e36

Our budget is not the issue, the issue is that we want more power out of the engine before installing the SC14. So our goal is to get the car to good NA HP levels prior to FI which is why i have posted this asking for other ideas.

We chose the SC14 for several reason, mainly because it can be configured to kick in by the touch of a button and because it fits perfectly under the M50 intake which gives it the "Stock" look which is needed for the race class we are wanting to race in.

IF we are stull not happy with the outcome after the build, we will install our Vortech system and try get that to appear "stock"

first off ( to which i dont know why i bother ) the clutch is just a Toyota thing and under higher load pulls high current and fails it may also my to check its displacement verus engine size it was only every intended for a 2ltr and max rpm the blower was designed for.

if your going FI of any configuration thats how the engine should be built including compression and if budget isnt an issue then why go down that road to start with,vortex work fine for raod cars but they suffer from bearing failer from prolonged high rpm use thus what a race car would endure.

look forward to see the outcome cause itll be the class mine will run in( to which i didnt know the bmw series allows for).......plus a few others.

Edited by crunchy

I don't see the advantage of using an E39 528i, may as well use an E36 or E46, at least their lighter to compensate for the lack of torque.

If I was building up an E39 as a track car I'd use the V8 model no question, minimum 300hp/400nm out of the box, wouldn't take much to get that to 350hp + with torque to match....

Plus is boosting a M52 really a good idea, especially if your going to drive it hard....

Edited by V8E36

Plus is boosting a M52 really a good idea, especially if your going to drive it hard....

its a great idea, as long as you do it properly.

I have an E46 rolling chassis that will be built after the E39 is completed. The reason i chose the E39 528, is that i havent seen many of them around in Manual nor have I seen many around that have been modified to an extent that i am going to. Almost half the car will be fibre glass or carbon fibre, including the back two doors, boot and bonnet and maybe the front venders depending on time. I will be uploading some photos shortly of progress.

I thought that building a unique project car is all about the journey and the fun, but also hoping that the outcome is good too.

Although, a V8 does sound pretty sweet, perhaps ill look at doing that next.

Ah i see, will be substantially better with that weight reduction.

Edited by V8E36

Which race class is this? There are plenty of ways to hide away stuff. Look up how people hide turbo's in California

How do you fit the supercharger under the intake without moving the alternator or power steering?

Got any pictures of your e36

Ill dig them out of the archives.

As for the supercharger, the SC14 unit is a pretty small unit and we have it put up against the engine wall for now. We have also purchased a longer pulley from some Toyota hi-ace at Pick a Part to fit to on the SC14, and all in all it looks like it will fit just above / behind the alternator, atleast that is the plan.

Ah i see, will be substantially better with that weight reduction.

I hope so, because like you say, them E39s are pretty heavy weights

with a so called not a problem budget then dump the motor and use a s50b32 but don't be too disappointed with the sc14 as they wont make you anything close to 400hp they dont deliver that sort of cfm no matter what you do.

now what this class your running in? silverfox should correct me here but unless its alpina based and single cam forced induction of anything else isnt a go thus why it class would be more like gt1/gt2 or just club day depending on tires used.

You're right Steve, no sc's allowed sorry.

You're right Steve, no sc's allowed sorry.

thought as much his dreams to do this is something different and with lots of carbon/glass and a strong n/a s50 would be a fun class car, im doing mine to prove a few special people wrong dont care about where i run it <_<

From the online user manuals: (which are US based - don't some of their engine have iron blocks or liners or something?)

Curb weight (with one person, ready for operation, full tank of fuel, options not included)

2000 e46 328i M52 Sedan manual: 1450Kg

2000 e39 528i M52 Sedan manual: 1585Kg

2001 e46 325i M54 Sedan manual: 1535Kg

2001 e39 525i M54 Sedan manual: 1565Kg

I assume they use the same size "person" in the figures. The 2001 figures are interesting!

Is this car a M52 or a M52tu?

PS. Listen to crunchy.

thought as much his dreams to do this is something different and with lots of carbon/glass and a strong n/a s50 would be a fun class car, im doing mine to prove a few special people wrong dont care about where i run it <_<

What are putting your s50b32 into?

sorry guys dont have one of those as much as their a good n/a engine wont be up to my punishment, and lack of responce from nusins i would say at a guess ive scared him off :) lol

Edited by crunchy