Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

New E30 owner questions

So I have picked myself an auto 320i E30. Couple of quick questions:

1. What RPM should it be doing at 100kph? It seems to be unusually high

2. What is the dial down by my right knee? It has 0-3 and seems to show a headlight beam with up and down arrows?

3. What is the button next to the shifter on the right above the drivers side window switches? It appears the marking have come off, so no idea what it is!

So I have picked myself an auto 320i E30. Couple of quick questions:

1. What RPM should it be doing at 100kph? It seems to be unusually high

2. What is the dial down by my right knee? It has 0-3 and seems to show a headlight beam with up and down arrows?

3. What is the button next to the shifter on the right above the drivers side window switches? It appears the marking have come off, so no idea what it is!

1. dunno.

2. head light adjustment, prob broken

3. circuit breaker for electric windows.

1. Depends on the diff, which depends on a lot of things. They came out with a variety of different diffs. How high is abnormally high?

1. Depends on the diff, which depends on a lot of things. They came out with a variety of different diffs. How high is abnormally high?

From what i recall my 320i auto E30 did 3000rpm at 100k

was a 1990 Facelift, I heard that the pre facelift had taller gearing, ie lower rpm at 100k

3000rpm is normal for an auto 320i at 100km/h

F/L yes but as above - the PF/L auto cars had taller diffs. Can't remember exactly off hand but I think around 2700 ish @ 100km/h

F/L yes but as above - the PF/L auto cars had taller diffs. Can't remember exactly off hand but I think around 2700 ish @ 100km/h

Yes it was definitely higher than that. Very odd, I'll have to try it again to make sure it's going into 4th but I was looking at 4500 or so, which is what I call abnormally high!

Interestingly I just saw what the rev limit is for the race series and this car revs much higher than that! It's a strange one.

Yes it was definitely higher than that. Very odd, I'll have to try it again to make sure it's going into 4th but I was looking at 4500 or so, which is what I call abnormally high!

Interestingly I just saw what the rev limit is for the race series and this car revs much higher than that! It's a strange one.

Are you sure the tacho is reading correctly? What does it idle at?

It can't rev more than the race series cars - they rev to the factory limit

Are you sure the tacho is reading correctly? What does it idle at?

It can't rev more than the race series cars - they rev to the factory limit

Idles at around 1000. It could be a tacho issue, that would explain somethings. I'll have a look into that

1000rpm at idle doesn't really add up to 4500 at 100kmh though.

What year is the car - pre or F/L?

4cyl 318i cluster or rev counter??

I'm definitely leaning towards some sort of tacho issue. I know it's been replaced due to the old one failing. Perhaps the gearing is wrong and it is simply increasing in reading at a higher ratio than the actual revs.

I'm definitely leaning towards some sort of tacho issue. I know it's been replaced due to the old one failing. Perhaps the gearing is wrong and it is simply increasing in reading at a higher ratio than the actual revs.

Its possible the Cluster is from a 4 Cylinder model, take a pic and post up of the cluster, from memory the redline starts at 6000 on 4cyl, and 6200 ish on 6cyl

Ok here's some photos.

First up we have the current (replacement) cluster that is in the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the one that was removed

Posted Image

Posted Image

It will rev to an indicated 7200 or so now (I'm guessing because it only shows up to 7000 but it goes past that), so it seems like it is somehow showing 1000 or so over what it should, despite showing the right amount at idle.

It is interesting how the new cluster's redline is higher than original, meaning it is probably not from a 4 cyl?

Your tank capacity has also changed ;) So has your measurement for fuel efficiency.

My 318i PFL has the same cluster (from factory) as your replacement.

Edited by kevinator9

Yeah I noticed those two. I don't think the fuel gauge is reading right either. It showed empty and then only took 25 litres, unless E30s have tiny tanks?

I'm beginning to suspect this cluster is not fully right. I might get the old one fixed and then put it back in

in the 3rd photo, in the bottom right that chip/plug sets the revs to suit a 4 pot or a 6 pot. swap that over and try again. i made the mistake a while back and wondered why it would on rev out to 4k with the 4 cyl.

^^^^^^ Yep was just going to say that. The little white plastic rectangular box.

They can be swapped, assuming your original dash has the same setup (pre 86 did not have the programming chip) - hense me asking earlier what year your car is??

You still face the fuel gauge issue though, pre & F/L cars had different fuel tanks & also different gauge sender setups - hense maybe a miss match.

Motometer to VDO makes no difference but models do

So essentially best way to go is to just fix the original one and revert to that, should fix it all, hopefully :)

Yea it will. Robinson Instrument Services in Auckland can do.

Again, to confirm variables - what year is the car?

1990 is a facelift car. Being auto it would have had, & still probably has, a 4.45 diff which as mentioned earlier, the engine will be doing about 3k @ 100kph.

The cluster currently in the car (as mentioned) looks to be a pre f/l unit, having a different fuel gauge setup & also shows a smaller tank capacity to that of the facelift car. Hence incorrect operation.

The second dipstick will be ATF (at the rear of the engine)

As you suggested - yes will be better to get your original cluster repaired.

Thanks for that. Turns out the old unit is caput and probably canibalised to make the current one work. Onto trademe to find a new unit! Thanks for all the help