Sign in to follow this  
APT

Importing a BMW E30 M3

Ive been on the lookout for a E30 M3 for awhile now and there only seems to be those two red ones on trade me.

Has anyone imported an M3 from overseas such as the US ?

Can they be registered in NZ - as they are older then 20 years ?

Do they have to comply with the new emissions regulations ?

Would like to hear you advice.. Thanks !

with the caliber of your other cars all I can say is I like where this is going!

Hi Andrew.

I have just imported my second E30 M3 and have been driving it here now for a month. Give me a PM with you number and I will give you a text/call. Better if we discuss over the phone I think but I went from Zero to M3 and I am happy to talk you through the process anf give advice on what to look out for and where to buy them :)

.................but to answer your question:

M3 over 20 years old = registerable in NZ as a Category B LHD vehilce.

Exempt from emissions and impact regs if it is in fact in the above category

Have seen a few examples here in the last week or so. Tend to be rust free with faded paint as oposed to cheap mods and hiden rust examples that I saw when living in the UK..

Plenty of USA seem to have the tunermotorsports 2.5 crank and evo cam inlet cam replacement done which is a nice way to go .

Check out the gearbox specs as the 2.3 has an over-driven 5th rather than the CR ratio 5 speed in Europe. Plenty of info if you seacrh bimmersport on importing. As these are all 20 year plus they are easier to import than when I looked at doing the same in 2005 when living in the UK.

From what I've seen have the owership seems to be either track day cars or collectors with immacutale version. But the overall standard seems to be higher than the UK.

How much would a rhd conversion cost ?

Dont convert your E30 M3 to RHD. There are many reasons for this which include steering racks, brake servos and the general bastardisation of a cult classic. Most importantly, the value of these cars lies in their origionality - they were never builty in RHD. They are best left alone. The LHD thing make them even more special here in NZ.

If you did do the RHD conversion it would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Not sure exactly how much). Then youd have to get a LVV cert for it. Seems silly when you can get it registered and complied as a LHD with no hassles.

Dont convert your E30 M3 to RHD. There are many reasons for this which include steering racks, brake servos and the general bastardisation of a cult classic. Most importantly, the value of these cars lies in their origionality - they were never builty in RHD. They are best left alone. The LHD thing make them even more special here in NZ.

I agree totally....

How much would a rhd conversion cost ?

Driving an LHD is not the issue some think-you soon get the safety factor sussed

If you did do the RHD conversion it would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Not sure exactly how much). Then youd have to get a LVV cert for it. Seems silly when you can get it registered and complied as a LHD with no hassles.

Totally agree. Leave them as they are. They are meant to be LHD for many reason some outlined above. No issues driving on the left. Easy parking, great visibility.

Ive been on the lookout for a E30 M3 for awhile now and there only seems to be those two red ones on trade me.

Has anyone imported an M3 from overseas such as the US ?

Can they be registered in NZ - as they are older then 20 years ?

Do they have to comply with the new emissions regulations ?

Would like to hear you advice.. Thanks !

Do you know your E30 M3 specs?

Basically 3 versons country wise, European, US and Japanese.

The differences?

European: Dogleg gearbox, larger gas tank (second tank behind the rear of the back seat)

USA: Standard H pattern gearbox, side lights, no extra gas tank behind the seats

Japanese: Standard H pattern gearbox, large gas tank.

In saying that, a number of European spec cars have found there way into Japan so you can find euro spec cars in Japan. They other thing to watch is that so many Japanese E30 M3's have been tuned and tracked.

I agree with the bastardisation etc. And I have driven a bit on the wrong side, on the wrong side IYKWIM.

But a RHD could be used as a proper daily :)

Edit; My understanding was there were a couple that were 'factory' converted and sold as new.

Edited by Nick G

they were never builty in RHD.

Apparently they did - I have a magazine article that proves otherwise (unless it was made up - albeit unlikely with extensive photos and chassis plate and special plague stating it to be one of two in existence). 2 right hand drive special editions made for Japan only (one now reside in Hong Kong according to the article), plus a yellow right hand drive convertible in Brunei according to the article.

Edited by M3_Power

Birds London also did a number of Conversions. The NZ new ones where also largely converted to RHD. Not sure if they were done in NZ

Birds London also did a number of Conversions. The NZ new ones where also largely converted to RHD. Not sure if they were done in NZ

Those were different and are considered by the masses and enthusiasts alike as aftermarket conversions. The three I talked about came from BMW directly and were taken off the standard production line and converted to proper right hand drive cars.

Edited by M3_Power

None left the factory in Germany as RHD, they were all LHD as they should have stayed.

A few were converted with BMW endorsement in Australia by Gardiner (I think).

None left the factory in Germany as RHD, they were all LHD as they should have stayed.

Not according to this article from BMW Car that I have ...

According to the article the cars are identical in spec as the LHD variants (with a slightly modified exhaust header for obvious reasons), but the steering racks were one off specials)

The other car is still in Japan with the original purchaser I am lead to believe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

Not according to this article from BMW Car that I have ...

According to the article the cars are identical in spec as the LHD variants (with a slightly modified exhaust header for obvious reasons), but the steering racks were one off specials)

The other car is still in Japan with the original purchaser I am lead to believe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes I have seen that article. And urban legend has it that "the Factory" built an RHD one for Denny Hulme - but it may have been a Frank Gardner conversion. Wonder where that car would be now?

Yes I have seen that article. And urban legend has it that "the Factory" built an RHD one for Denny Hulme - but it may have been a Frank Gardner conversion. Wonder where that car would be now?

In the garage at Jerry Clayton BMW in Takapuna??

Two NZ new M3's were converted here by a company in Rotorua. Both cars were EVO 2 one Red and one Macau Blue. The red one sold in Auckland last year and the blue example has resided up here for many years.

There is also an EVO Sport that lives/lived in CHCH and i believe, was converted down there.

How many E30 M3s were sold as NZ new? What I have been lead to believe is that all of them sold NZ new were converted to RHD due to the regulations at the time.

There certainly seem to be quite a high proportion of E30 M3s in NZ that have been converted to RHD, with most of the conversions being done by "Road & Track" (or similar) in Rotorua.

In the garage at Jerry Clayton BMW in Takapuna??

Seriously?? I might have to take a look at it!

So much barnyard cars in NZ!!.. well not so much as barnyard.. more like collections, just look at concourse!! damn... probably something like that red e30 m3 in europe that only had like 22 miles on it since new?? IIRC he was suppose to give it to his son. but ended up being forgotten about in the garage??