Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

Touch-up paint

Does BMW NZ or anyone else sell the appropriate BMW coloured touch-up paint?

Just pop in to jerry Clayton or team Macmillan.

They could order it for you if they dont have it, i have a couple plus the clear coat.

Colourworks can make it for you on the spot, just give them your paint colour code.

CarColours will make it on the spot too but I'm not 100% sure how reliable they are compared to proper BMW stuff.

Hey Zadkiel, just a friendly reminder that you don't need to post a new thread for every new question you have, you can either search the forums to see if your question has been asked and answered before (9 times out of 10 it has been) or you can post in the "Quick questions" thread here.

You'll get an answer just as quick and keeps the forums tidy.

Cheers, Mark. :)

Ha thanks for that! I do feel like a bit of a forum clogger! I do try searching first, but didn't know about that quick question thread, I will definitely use that in future, thanks. And thanks for all the answers too :)

What colour are you after? I have plenty of Cosmosswartz touch-up paint if that's any good.

About $30 from the dealer. Come with a clear coat bottle too.

Tip: use a cut off cotton bud, just the stick bit for stone chips. (the brush is way too big).

Colourworks can make it for you on the spot, just give them your paint colour code.

+1. good to deal with, friendly and helpful

I'm not 100% sure how reliable they are compared to proper BMW stuff.

Huh? What do you mean "proper BMW stuff"? You do know BMW don't 'make' the touch up paint aye?

I can "make" Rolls Royce" paint with what paint i have in my shed if i wanted.

Huh? What do you mean "proper BMW stuff"? You do know BMW don't 'make' the touch up paint aye?

I can "make" Rolls Royce" paint with what paint i have in my shed if i wanted.

The stuff BMW supply then. Come on, that should be obvious.

The stuff BMW supply then. Come on, that should be obvious.

That still won't guaranty it's the correct colour.

BMW has over the last 20 years changed their paint OEM at least 3 times, and each paint manufacturer will have at least 3 variants for the same colour, so right off the bat you have 6 variants of one colour. Which one would BMW have in stock and will it be the correct one for your car?

As an example, Nissan colour 'Passion Rose Pearl', PPG has 22 variants of that colour and that's only one of probably 10 paint manufacturers globally that can produce that colour.

Getting a bit off topic there! It's all good people.

It's delphin metallic I'm afraid so I can't make use of that comos. I'll give Colourworks a visit since they are literally just down the road from me.

Getting a bit off topic there! It's all good people.

It's delphin metallic I'm afraid so I can't make use of that comos. I'll give Colourworks a visit since they are literally just down the road from me.

Take car OR a clean piece of car (fuel filler flap) with you. Make sure when they make the colour they check it against the colour of your car (flap)

Don't let them say "It'll be ok mate, you'll never know the difference"

You should also be aware that paint fades with time. Depending on the colour of your car touch up paint may not match exactly. In some respects that makes going to an aftermarket place better as they can mix the paint to match the paint on your car rather than just the colour code.

For 30 bucks, I don't know why you wouldn't just get the BMW stuff. I don't believe that if you got the correct code there would be any variance, (save for fading).

For 30 bucks, I don't know why you wouldn't just get the BMW stuff. I don't believe that if you got the correct code there would be any variance, (save for fading).

Really?

Which one would you choose?

The standard one?

The yellower one? (Y)

The darker one? (D)

You'd be pretty pissed if you picked the std one and your car was done with the darker one.

Keep in mind theese are just the PPG ones i found in 30 sec's of looking in my books. Now imagine the variants from DuPont, Sikkens, Spies Hecker, Glasurit, DeBeer, Metalux, Fortec.................the list goes on.

post-3653-1328839114.jpg

TIL this. I stand corrected.

So when I ordered paint from BMW and used the colour sticker from the car its just luck I didnt get the wrong 'shade'? That was lucky.

TIL this. I stand corrected.

So when I ordered paint from BMW and used the colour sticker from the car its just luck I didnt get the wrong 'shade'? That was lucky.

With the "touch up" stuff you get from dealers they'd just use the 'prime' colour, the one i called the "std" colour.

BUT in saying all i have i must also say if it's only small chips you should be able to get away with the 'prime' colour, the bigger the area to be touched up gets the more important the correct colour becomes. (obivously)

As you were. :D

I have already gone to Colourworks and got some. It looks pretty close to me! To be fair it was fro a few tiny little spots, it's not like a big patch or anything. It's much closer than generic stuff from Repco that I have used before! (Not on my E30 off course, on previous beaters I've had). Thanks though, interesting to see all those colour codes! When will companies think about owners 22 years down the line like me :)