Sign in to follow this  
leithcm

BMW 3 Series Launch

Got an invite to go to the Christchurch launch of the new 3 Series at the Colombo, 363 Colombo Street last night; hosted by Jeff Gray BMW.

They had on display examples of the 2002 turbo, E21, E30, E36 (which was a 4 door Alpina), E46, and E90. A couple were their own vehicles, rest borrowed off clients etc. The "stars" of the evening were the 328 twin turbo 4 (in a very nice deep black), and the 335 twin turbo 6 (in Arctic Silver). The 335 was the "Sport" version, the 328 the "Luxury" version. The night was a local success, I suppose you could say, some 150 - 200 people there, all enjoying the free bubbles, still whites and reds, as well as beers and fruit juices. Oh, and a damned nice assortment of canapes as well! The NZ MD of BMW was in attendance, as well as a large number of the local sales and management team.

The sponsors of the night signed up people for test drives - 2 hours at a time - anytime Saturday through to the next Saturday. Didn't know anyone who was there, but soon got chatting to a number. Surprising to learn of the frequency some people change their cars!!

A nice way to spend an otherwise wet drizzly night - was anyone else of this fraternity there?

Got an invite to go to the Christchurch launch of the new 3 Series at the Colombo, 363 Colombo Street last night; hosted by Jeff Gray BMW.

They had on display examples of the 2002 turbo, E21, E30, E36 (which was a 4 door Alpina), E46, and E90. A couple were their own vehicles, rest borrowed off clients etc. The "stars" of the evening were the 328 twin turbo 4 (in a very nice deep black), and the 335 twin turbo 6 (in Arctic Silver). The 335 was the "Sport" version, the 328 the "Luxury" version. The night was a local success, I suppose you could say, some 150 - 200 people there, all enjoying the free bubbles, still whites and reds, as well as beers and fruit juices. Oh, and a damned nice assortment of canapes as well! The NZ MD of BMW was in attendance, as well as a large number of the local sales and management team.

The sponsors of the night signed up people for test drives - 2 hours at a time - anytime Saturday through to the next Saturday. Didn't know anyone who was there, but soon got chatting to a number. Surprising to learn of the frequency some people change their cars!!

A nice way to spend an otherwise wet drizzly night - was anyone else of this fraternity there?

As soon as mine get out of warranty (Factory+extended factory usually = 5 years) - update time.

The F30/F80 M3 better be good....

As soon as mine get out of warranty (Factory+extended factory usually = 5 years) - update time.

The F30/F80 M3 better be good....

Twin turbo V6. Boo!

Plus, what M3??? The E90 is the very last M3 ever made! The Motorsport version of the F30 is now called an M4.

I took a new 335 i from Mc Burglars for a test drive drive today fantastically designed and detailed car spoilt by dumb ass dealers bringing in sports models with standard suspension.

Asked about the M sport version yes they bring that in with standard suspension as well (i.e. not motorsport).

Do other dealers do this as well , is it a BMW NZ thing , thought we had grown out of this 90's bad habit?

Are you talking F30? Cause the motorsport version hasn't been released as far as we are aware?

Motor sport due in 3 months or so but will be ordered with standard supension

Can be speced with motorsport suspension, i.e M4 wise.

Most cars in NZ are ordered with sport suspension delete as most people find it too harsh on our roads.

Most of the new cars we sell have std suspension even in M sport guise.

Its available if you want it, but you're spine will hate you.

Aidan,

I will lump your comment with the other one car dealers usually trot out when I ask for a manual " thats allright sir I am sure you will get used to driving an automatic and you will love it".

My usual reply"I am not some lilly livered sloth that wants to slush around at 30kmh in an auto".

My current car has a full blown aftermarket suspension that is stiffer than the M sport it came with and my spine loves it.

Can I take it that my NZ new X5 sport pac is likely to have standard springs in it? if so how do I identify which springs are fitted.

same here..."cmon Paul get into the 21st century" when i said i would rather have a 1 series in manual....funnily enough when my manual diesel became available i had to make my decision immediately as they "had 15 salesmen all over NZ who want the car"

Sports suspension plus older run flat technology would be brutal.

Guest Ari Gold

I took a new 335 i from Mc Burglars for a test drive drive today fantastically designed and detailed car spoilt by dumb ass dealers bringing in sports models with standard suspension.

Asked about the M sport version yes they bring that in with standard suspension as well (i.e. not motorsport).

Do other dealers do this as well , is it a BMW NZ thing , thought we had grown out of this 90's bad habit?

You have no idea what you're talking about. Having driven a 335i round Taupo racetrack and not being very gentle about it at all, you'd never miss it.

Compared it back to back with an IS F-Sport on the road, and the F-Sport was bloody awful. The Lexus has got that bouncy suspension you love, but it simply doesn't work in NZ roads. 10 mins in the car was about 5 mins too much.

Lexus suspension sh*t like the whole car and no I dont like bouncy suspension.

My suspension is not bouncy it is tuned for how I drive and the wheels / tyres fitted to it. It gives controlled wheel movement to give consistent handling at speed over the mediocre roads we have

In comparison the 335 was squishy and vague, lacked turn in precision, tail end steered and was generally a disappointment in the handling stakes.

Set up like it was I would probably be on the bump stops at least 20 or 30 times on my daily drive.

Yes you might be able to punt it round taupo and you might like it but I DONT!

I have punted my car around taupo and it was very rewarding.

You need to remember that you're part of the minority, most people who buy a new BMW dont want a hard ride, they want it to be smooth and comfortable, i know this because i talk to people every day who buy brand new BMWs.

The compromise to a softer ride is softer handling, thats the facts, if you dont like it don't buy one with standard suspension!

Go down to the dealership and order one with M sport suspension and keep yourself happy.

I've done quite a bit of driving now in the 328i sport line with standard suspension and i think its pretty spot on, but then my daily commute will be very different to yours and perhaps i prefer to cruise to and from work rather than working the car out.

One other thing - was chatting to a couple of the Jeff Gray staff, who had only just got back from a BMW drivers training day at Hampton Downs (I think it was.)

They were going on how great this experience was for all BMW drivers etc etc - so I asked them when are they going to put a similar event on - here in Christchurch at Ruapuna - for the local drivers? The answer - "Probably we will be organising one for sometime in October this year.."

So, local Christchurch Bimmersport fans, this could be something to look out for - and possibly get onto Jeff Gray BMW and put some pressure on by way of support?? I certainly, for one, would be very keen to attend!

Guest Simon*

So the new F30 328 is a blown 4 cylinder? What displacement, 2L?

I hadn't heard about this

So the new F30 328 is a blown 4 cylinder? What displacement, 2L?

I hadn't heard about this

Correct Simon, 328i is a 2L turbo four cyl, would blow past the previuos 328 six cyl too.

The F20 116, 118 and 120 are a 1.6L turbo, same engine for each but with different boost levels.

The 128 will be a stonking car and the F30 335 is MUCH faster than the previous 335, these are 3L.

Oh, I remember the good old, simple, days when a 316 was 1600cc, a 320 was 2ltr, 525 was 2.5ltr - easy to understand, far too complicated these days :unsure:

Oh, I remember the good old, simple, days when a 316 was 1600cc, a 320 was 2ltr, 525 was 2.5ltr - easy to understand, far too complicated these days :unsure:

+1 !!

Fully agree Jon, but very much gone of those days, still trying to get my head around it. Also, the F30 has multible guises, you can get a Modern, Luxury, Sport and Motorsport, all of which have different trimmings, wheel options, colours etc etc.

F20 is the same. Urban, Sport and Motorsport :wacko:

Word, they really ruined a once effective badge system all for the sake of making something less sound like more...

When did it first start? Mid 90s with the 523i and 323i?

kind of the opposite direction with those 2 though as they were badged lower than the engine size, but yea that's probably where it started

Done the hair driered 2 litre thing , found it okay on motorway type driving where changes in speed are controlled by the inertia of trafic , found it awefull on open road "entertaining driving"

Interesting, was that in the new 328? I understood it was a twin turbo, with a smaller turbo to remove the lag? Was that the problem on the open road, or something else.

Like all cars, it will take a while to get used to where the torque is in the rev-range. Certainly older turbo cars needed a certain style of driving to keep them "on-boost", shouldn't be so bad in a newer car.

Interesting, was that in the new 328? I understood it was a twin turbo, with a smaller turbo to remove the lag? Was that the problem on the open road, or something else.

Like all cars, it will take a while to get used to where the torque is in the rev-range. Certainly older turbo cars needed a certain style of driving to keep them "on-boost", shouldn't be so bad in a newer car.

The 328 is single turbo twin scroll. Very easy in traffic and very fun on the open road, heaps of torque all the way to red line.

Guest Simon*

Going back to the 1 series then, if you buy the entry level 116 and tweak the boost you can essentially have a 120 and more?

Like has been mentioned above I thought everything possible was being done to eliminate lag from the turboed cars

Agreed. I would want a 238i in manual with the Sport Suspension and a LSD. Would make for a fast car.

Nothing wrong with a modern European 2.0 Turbo, cars have come along way since the Japanese Turbo era of the 90's and I think its hard for people to comprehend this, you are dealing with two very different cars.

I can take off in third gear in my car and it boosts up fast, have never had turbo lag.

Edited by apex

Agreed. I would want a 238i in manual with the Sport Suspension and a LSD. Would make for a fast car.

From looking at the sales literature the 6-speed manual is a no cost option, and I think an LSD is available for a few dollars more. You might have more trouble getting hold of a 2-series though, I think its still under development, a 328i would be a good alternative :D

Nothing wrong with a modern European 2.0 Turbo, cars have come along way since the Japanese Turbo era of the 90's and I think its hard for people to comprehend this, you are dealing with two very different cars.

I may have been making an assumption from 3pedals post that it was the turbo aspect that was the issue, I may have it completely wrong and it was another aspect of the drive that was the issue, not lag.

An eight speed flappy paddle gearbox sounds like it could be fun... I'm going to the Jeff Gray launch on Friday to test the 320d (and eat all the free nibbles. :rolleyes: !). Be prepared for a Clarkson style test report.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Confused!! I am, if you were a person looking to buy a newer bmw hope like hell the dealer can explain all the difference etc etc because just reading this thread is looks a mess. BMW needs to get back to basic's and build and badge vehicle's which tell the customer what it is, if it is 2ltr and has twin turbos bla bla then so be it. But make it clear to the consumer not all the B.S that they are handing out at present. Not wanting this to sound like a rant but have come across this first hand while looking for another beemer and it gets to be a pain in the arse looking at something which it is not just my 10cents chuckle

Oh yea 328i. I don't know if that was my dyslexia or BMW's confusing badging.

Look forward to your review.

Confused!! I am, if you were a person looking to buy a newer bmw hope like hell the dealer can explain all the difference etc etc because just reading this thread is looks a mess. BMW needs to get back to basic's and build and badge vehicle's which tell the customer what it is, if it is 2ltr and has twin turbos bla bla then so be it. But make it clear to the consumer not all the B.S that they are handing out at present. Not wanting this to sound like a rant but have come across this first hand while looking for another beemer and it gets to be a pain in the arse looking at something which it is not just my 10cents chuckle

You need only look at power/torque and price TBH. Capacity does not translate to performance like it did in the 1970's.

http://www.bmw.co.nz/com/en/newvehicles/3s...eAndOptions.pdf