Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

E46 328ci vs 330ci

The vanos seals are easy to replace, did mine in the S50 and made a HUGE difference. The M52tu and M54 are twin vanos.

Cheers! I'm hoping it will make a huge difference - the car is pretty quick for a "poxy" 2.5, but i ONLY wanted manual, so was limited for choices! My wife still stalls it sometimes, because it sort of bogs a bit as the load comes on. I think she only ever stalled her old Impreza once, the BMW has happened probably 15 or 20 times - it varies depending on engine temp etc. I've already done the Clutch Delay Valve delete, which smoothed out takeoffs and changes a bit.

I just have to get a fan clutch spanner, but I think dad has one (we certainly had one for his E30 anyway).

Thanks.

Cheers! I'm hoping it will make a huge difference - the car is pretty quick for a "poxy" 2.5, but i ONLY wanted manual, so was limited for choices! My wife still stalls it sometimes, because it sort of bogs a bit as the load comes on. I think she only ever stalled her old Impreza once, the BMW has happened probably 15 or 20 times - it varies depending on engine temp etc. I've already done the Clutch Delay Valve delete, which smoothed out takeoffs and changes a bit.

I just have to get a fan clutch spanner, but I think dad has one (we certainly had one for his E30 anyway).

Thanks.

Good on you Allan, best mod I have done along with remapp and headers. Mine was hunting and lurching badly mainly when cold. Not a differcult job, just take care.

Thanks.

also check for vaccum leaks around some of the rubber hoses , they fall to bits after a while and need replacing.

will cause rough idle and stalling etc

anyway my stock 1986 e28 535iA that i just brought would drag the lot of these off

with its stock 310Nm and 218Hp :rolleyes:

Cough , Bull$hit :rolleyes:

Really? Was yours standard? The old man use to have a 330 and we had a bit of a drag (on closed roads, controlled enviroments blah blah) and it didn't stand a chance, well maintained very low km example, then again mine is well maintained also. The E46 are a very heavy car for the size, the M54 has alot of torque, quite an adictive amount, even the 2.2 M54 gets up and goes.

Yeap no airbox etc just the standard motor well maintained had done about 80,000ks at the time (didnt even have the SS exhaust on at the time). Three times with three separate e36 m3 b30's. One of those times was with Aaron Harris in his then standard 3.0 around taupo in road car trim. My car would pull off the start, then the m3's would catchup till they had to change gear and ran out top end puff, this is where the 330 would pull it back. The m54 has more bottom end but dies around 6krpm The m3 has another 2krpm on top of the m54 of that just over half of that is useful.

Alot of people now have pretty tired m54's in their 330i that I would say 90% of them dont have a working VANOS due to seals being all dried up. Double Vanos is pretty sensitive to it and its the m54's trumph card. When it doesnt work properly its like driving a Lexus or Nissan.

Around the 330 vs 328 debate. The 330 comes with an overhaulled drive train in general such as bigger brakes, larger halfshafts etc and a lot of interior upgrades like heated mirrors etc.

Well documented Josh. I have also driven 3.0 ltr m3. Hard work to perform. Reckon my 328 would be close till the taller gears. Torque is king on the street!

Yes. Thats where I got mine.

Does the timing not have to be locked to do this procedure?

All Vanos systems are different, some are easy and some can be vaginas to do. Mine needed a special tool to get the unit off but didn't effect the timing, if in doubt get someone who knows what they are doing.

Does the timing not have to be locked to do this procedure?

Certainly NOT on the M54 - I just did it this morning:

My Vanos Post