Sign in to follow this  
simonvv

635CSI

Gave it a clean and Sunday drive

Thinking it needs more power- chip,cam,airflow meter change???

5 speed, cream leather, the best

post-16282-1335338591.jpg

• Like 1

How about my mapecu2 unit which is custom fuel mappable and enables you to eliminate the afm (internal map sensor in mapecu). Has been running both my motronic ecus (1.1 & 1.3).

very nice , looks great

yes after years of playing around with m30's etc ,

doing cams , head swaps , etc etc

http://www.millerperformancecars.com/catal...p;category_id=6

best bang for buck is one of these and a remap of the ecu to suit

also lightening the flywheel to 7kg will help

and a diff swap to a 3.73 ratio etc

That looks sweeeeeet!

How much could I expect with that chip and airflow meter change? Safe on the motor?

very nice , looks great

yes after years of playing around with m30's etc ,

doing cams , head swaps , etc etc

http://www.millerperformancecars.com/catal...p;category_id=6

best bang for buck is one of these and a remap of the ecu to suit

also lightening the flywheel to 7kg will help

and a diff swap to a 3.73 ratio etc

How much could I expect with that chip and airflow meter change? Safe on the motor?

normally one of these 635csi engines will get about 110-120kw at the rear wheels (on gavins dyno),

i would say about 130-140kw with the maf unit and a remap.

but also a decent punch of usable toque through the midrange which is where you use it mostly.

best thingto do is run it up on teh dyno as it is , just make sure you have good spark plugs and set right also vlave clearances are done correctly , good air filter and fuel filter etc

good dizzy and rotor etc.

do a run so you get a base line to start with then go from there with mods etc

the biggest issue with remapping is you need the software to do it or someone that has it and your limited to what you add on and the remap wont allow afm removal the mapecu allows the owner to do many many things when ever they wish without going back and spending more just for a small change.

the mapecu allows you control over fuel/ignition and duel tables launch control flat shifting data logging etc etc etc and the stock ecu wont do that, and as Brent has found the final tune is only as good as the tuner to how good it comes out which applies to all tuning but you can atleast have control over it your self with out reflashing costs.

you get so much more to play with using the mapecu over the reflash then again i dought youll go any other way but a reflash

Edited by crunchy

My M30 535 has Miller conversion, mild regrind on cam and remap and puts out 155kw at the wheels, not hard to do.

Back to the topic opener - Love the car! :)

My M30 535 has Miller conversion, mild regrind on cam and remap and puts out 155kw at the wheels, not hard to do.

go on tell the full story david :rolleyes:

planned and skimmed head and block to raise the compression,

nice open headers and exhaust system etc

but yes thats good results from the old m30 block

thats a good result dave the 535 i did had headers/stock exhaust and stock everything else and the mapecu and a hour road tune no dyno making 140.7kw wheel and no drop off up top be interesting with a few extras what i could have done, still each to their own and for under 1k for the mapecu cant complain.

so whats the maf/w.a.r chip cost? 1000nz with shipping and gst plus the dyno if you need to sort out issues another 5-800?

i guess like all kw/hp numbers if cant drive or are just a poser the numbers arnt worth the paper their written on.( not directed at you dave :) ) but make funny youtube watching :rolleyes:

Edited by crunchy

Isn't the standard HP 210? Or would that have dropped drastically after 30 years ha

go on tell the full story david :rolleyes:

planned and skimmed head and block to raise the compression,

nice open headers and exhaust system etc

but yes thats good results from the old m30 block

Isn't the standard HP 210? Or would that have dropped drastically after 30 years ha

rear wheel horse power , not the flywheel hp that bmw give in the owners manual.

635csi 218hp 160kw 310nm at the flywheel

works about about 110-120rwkw depending on dyno and air temp etc when all in good order or new etc.

have seen some others with less and the odd one with more.

millar maf unit and adaptor chip and housing about $380usd incl fr8 (you dont need the war chip thing)

plus local nz remap talk to gavin etc as you might be surprised by the cost

^ Factory HP figures are measured at the crank. Dyno figures are measured at the wheels. You need to adjust for around 20% drivetrain loss. So, 155kw at the wheels is 207hp or around 240-250hp at the crank.

^ Factory HP figures are measured at the crank. Dyno figures are measured at the wheels. You need to adjust for around 20% drivetrain loss. So, 155kw at the wheels is 207hp or around 240-250hp at the crank.

Sounds about right i use 15% for rear wheel and 20% for a four wheel or two wheel auto.

So taking a m5 286hp factory spec motor would be 248-238 wheel or 185-177kw wheel again sounds about right, again just a number the track or a stop watch tells all.

Managed to find some funds to justify a new MAF, Chip and since I was on the Miller website i ordered a N21 cam to

Do I need the HD rockers or will the stock handle it ok?

If I do need HD rockers are they available in NZ?

Cheers

I love these cars. So sexy..

Looking forwrd to reading the updates on how your performance mods go. Oh, and more pics please.

H/D rockers arent that expensive so youre probably best to do it while the heads off