Sign in to follow this  
byza213

wtb: e39 non woodgrain interior trim

i was looking at similar

with the rarity of alloy trims especially in nz it seems alot easier to sand and gloss paint the ones you have

i had a slightly different idea but not sure if it will work

Edited by jason H

I converted my E39 (which allanh now has) with wood to the silver trim and man what a difference it made but you can get the black wood type that alot of jap 525is came with for cheap.

Read somewhere ages ago about people using vinyl wrap to redo their interior trim and cover over woodgrain, have a funny feeling it was on an E46 forum in the states. From memory results were better than you'd think. Might be an option for you.

Heaps of people in the states using 3M vinyl wraps on the trim, and it does come out looking good.

Ill be doing mine when i can decide on either black or silver.

if any one attempts the vinyl process post some pics

i can imagine the different feel non woodgrain would give , feels too old lol!

Personally, I love the wood trim but vinyl wrapping is pretty easy. You can also get complete sets of non-wood trim on ebay pretty cheaply just check they will ship to NZ.

Full silver trim set with shipping to NZ only GBP24...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-silver-t...8#ht_1862wt_956

i have a set lined up over here around 250 (motorsport trim) , maybe other bmw wreckers will have the trim also

Edited by e34play

Read somewhere ages ago about people using vinyl wrap to redo their interior trim and cover over woodgrain, have a funny feeling it was on an E46 forum in the states. From memory results were better than you'd think. Might be an option for you.

If you don't want to DIY, a signwriter (one that does car wraps and signs) would do it. Probably cost around $100-150 and would be perfectly finished, so around the same or less than trying to pick up replacement trim from o/seas.

wow so it wasn't just me wanting to cover up the woodgrain with wraps! has anyone use the wraps off trademe? am considering but want to hear results from real users. after looking at the link im definately looking to wrap up my trim!

My mate painted his Montreal Blue to match the car, except the gear lever surround, which is Black I think.

Looks quite nice and ties the inside and outside together.

If you wanted to paint it silver, Hammerite smooth spray cans are a nice silver colour, but leave t to dry for a week or two to harden properly.

ok guys so my mates a sign writer , hes going to wrap my trim for me

pics will come once done and if you guys are happy i can arrange and pass on his details

going with grey carbon

like this?

Posted Image

i remember this pic from a bmw forum in america was it? I dont think they are wrapped?

it is wrap , check this

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1668845

yes he will be wrapping mine like the first pic

was a choice between grey carbon. brushed titanium. Matte silver which he has already and doesnt need to order.

i wish mine had the tv unit in it !

Edited by e34play

i wish mine had the tv unit in it !

And i wish i could install a normal headunit... damn nav/tv unit.

I like how effective a change the wrap is, but can I just say that the contrasting carbon fibre- look stuff seems like the equivalent of black- centred cheap cast aftermarket alloy wheels with inappropriately deep dish. I like the flat grey.

ok guys so my mates a sign writer , hes going to wrap my trim for me pics will come once done and if you guys are happy i can arrange and pass on his details going with grey carbon

I know this is 2012 post - but was wondering if you ended up doing this and what the results were?