Sign in to follow this  
brando88

need help

Hay im stuck in the decision of which bmw i should get,it will be between the e38 740i or the e39 530i if i could get some coments of which one you guys think would be the best that would be grate. e.g pros and cons.

Cherz

Go the e39. The e38 is ugly :-)

E38s are are cool and it's a V8.

E39 530 are also good cars.

Drive both and decide yourself.

A 530i is going to be a better long term proposition from a repair point of view. Probably a sportier drive too, less luxo-barge. A 530i with manual conversion would be a good move! Our manual 525i goes stupidly well for a baby E39 (especially after the vanos seals were done). Super flexible, pulls really well at anything above 1500 rpm.

If I ever cook the engine, I'd seriously look at a 3.0 conversion..... Maybe I shouldn't maintain the cooling system!

Both the boys above are dead right in their comments.

Ive had/have both & they are both excellent-I would suggest if u dont need the size & arent too hooked up on the v8 thing then the 530 is prob the way to go/

Either way man u cant lose-theyre both super cool

Hay im stuck in the decision of which bmw i should get,it will be between the e38 740i or the e39 530i if i could get some coments of which one you guys think would be the best that would be grate. e.g pros and cons.

Cherz

Get the best of both worlds, get a E39 540, do yourself a favour and get something 2000 onwards, they, in my opinion look better and come with the big screen. If you look on trade me then there's 5 or 6 nice low km ones on there and best of all they are similarly priced to the smaller engined models. There also a very tasy 2001 E38 740 motorsport on there too. Buy the V8, you won't kick yourself a few months down the track. The missus has a 525 and I've driven a 330, they are both good engines but no where near a good old fashioned V8 power. That's my 2 cents. Even better, by an M3.

Get the best of both worlds, get a E39 540, do yourself a favour and get something 2000 onwards, they, in my opinion look better and come with the big screen. If you look on trade me then there's 5 or 6 nice low km ones on there and best of all they are similarly priced to the smaller engined models. There also a very tasy 2001 E38 740 motorsport on there too. Buy the V8, you won't kick yourself a few months down the track. The missus has a 525 and I've driven a 330, they are both good engines but no where near a good old fashioned V8 power. That's my 2 cents. Even better, by an M3.

+1. E39 540 hands down. For the price you'll pay for a 530, it's well worth investing in the 540. Depends what you want, of course. The 5 and 7 series of that generation (or any, to be honest) are worlds apart. If you want a fully featured luxo-barge (as noted prior in this post), go for the seven. They're electric-everything though, so make sure you get a good one. From my experience, the 5 series is big enough for the family, and provides a much more 'sporting' ride. I'd pick the 540 over a 7 any day of the week - solely because I'd get a bit sick of the 'wafty' ride the 7 is known for.

+1. E39 540 hands down. For the price you'll pay for a 530, it's well worth investing in the 540. Depends what you want, of course. The 5 and 7 series of that generation (or any, to be honest) are worlds apart. If you want a fully featured luxo-barge (as noted prior in this post), go for the seven. They're electric-everything though, so make sure you get a good one. From my experience, the 5 series is big enough for the family, and provides a much more 'sporting' ride. I'd pick the 540 over a 7 any day of the week - solely because I'd get a bit sick of the 'wafty' ride the 7 is known for.

Really? The 7 is a "comfortable" drive, don't know where the wafty bit comes into it, i've driven some 7s new and old that would out handle some newer 3 series etc.

The 7 is a big family wagon that has more than enough room for everyone, the 5 is the same but just a tad smaller, not much interior wise.

thanks guys for all the help iv just gone on trade me now and hav seen the price of the 540i and i think that will be the new car for me :)

thanks guys for all the help iv just gone on trade me now and hav seen the price of the 540i and i think that will be the new car for me :)

Make sure you get a year 2000+ model, other wise known as the facelift, they have a better infotainment system and LED tail lights, halo lights and a bit better body kit. Don't worry about getting a "Motorsport" edition, apart from visual asthetics they are the same car.

Below are just what I found. Put some big rims and some lowering springs and you are away. Don't be fooled into an older model just because it has some big wheels, rims are fairly cheap nowadays and theres heaps of good trademe online stores with good deals, buy the car for the car and not what it has on it and go from there, you'll thank yourself for buying the newer model in the long run.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-469573209.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-411859582.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-474721399.htm (this is a good buy)

Or even better, get this one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-477685506.htm

Really? The 7 is a "comfortable" drive, don't know where the wafty bit comes into it, i've driven some 7s new and old that would out handle some newer 3 series etc.

The 7 is a big family wagon that has more than enough room for everyone, the 5 is the same but just a tad smaller, not much interior wise.

A good set of adjusties and some 19s will cure that "wafty" ride, it'll turn any luxo barge into a spine jarring work out aye bro? :thumb: to Greg very um... "Sporty" ride in his M3, hey did anyone feel that huge Ant we just drove over?

E39!! E39 look much classier and a bit newer.. very nice comfortable ride to drive... better than most cars nowadays I would dare say!

Make sure you get a year 2000+ model, other wise known as the facelift, they have a better infotainment system and LED tail lights, halo lights and a bit better body kit. Don't worry about getting a "Motorsport" edition, apart from visual asthetics they are the same car.

Below are just what I found. Put some big rims and some lowering springs and you are away. Don't be fooled into an older model just because it has some big wheels, rims are fairly cheap nowadays and theres heaps of good trademe online stores with good deals, buy the car for the car and not what it has on it and go from there, you'll thank yourself for buying the newer model in the long run.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-469573209.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-411859582.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-474721399.htm (this is a good buy)

Or even better, get this one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-477685506.htm

if current bid price for the M5 was its buy now I would buy it in a heartbeat...

I love my E39. Arguably the best looking BMW ever made I reckon and they're fun to drive. 530's got enough grunt for what is a pretty big car. Before I bought mine I test drove some 523s and 520s and they just didn't have enough power. A 540 or M5 would be super fun but I imagine they chew through petrol which we all know isn't as cheap as it used to be. My 528s got enough grunt while still being reasonably economical... And it looks bloody great!

+1 on a facelift E39 530i - love mine, great all rounded!

Hi Brandon, Would put my money on a 530i model 2002-03 why balance, power, ride, handling, luxury, economy owned one for five and half years had good times and bad with it but over all a very nice vehicle to own.

E34? doing it wrong?

Would buy an E39 vs E38.

Seven series cool'n all.. but nah.