Sign in to follow this  
JDMGTB

E39 header back exhaust

So here's the deal, sold my GTB Subaru and am left with a 2008 Toyota Hi Lux (D4D) and a 2002 E39 525i Individual in the garage. The Bimmer is the missus car and lets be honest, good car, just seriously lacking in the "power" department and very dull drive. It's only redeeming features is that it has Koni fully adjustable coilovers and 19" E60 M5 rims covered in tasty 235/35 Toyo T1R on the front and 275/35 Yokohamas on the rear, which makes for a very spirited ride and hanlding, just needs the ooopf to match. Recently got a very substantial pay rise and have an itch to try and get a little/alot more performance out of the 525. Now before anyone suggests to drop a V8 or a 3L into it, I don't really want to go that far. Just after a few things that I can do myself eg; pod and cold air box, header back exhaust that ideally has quad pipes etc. Should I have the VANOS redone as I have heard this can improve things? Also would it be better to get a ECU remap or 1 of those plug and play performance chips, or both? Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Oh and it will be getting a body kit of some description, at this point in time I'm thinking maybe a motorsport as with the adjusties etc I can almost garantee that something will get broken sooner or later.

Oh and yes I have done plenty of Google ling but really didn't amount to much, so if also when you make a suggestion can you please include places where I can go in and see them or call them to talk to them about said modifications. Cheers.

if it were me i'd be looking into some e36 m3 headers(not sure how well they fit in an e39), a cam grind and a remap. m54b30 intakes are supposed to be an upgrade as well.

replacing vanos seals is a good idea

What part of the country are you in?

^^^^ E36 M3 headers??? A completely different engine.

As far as a 525i being "boring & seriously lacking power" - each to their own.

We have the same car & it is fine as a family car, & certainly not what I would call boring.

I admit it is no rocket ship, but equally no slug, although I guess it is in comparison to the Subi GTB you speak of. That said - much more of a car than the Subaru.

If you are that serious in wanting more power (as it sounds you are), seriously, sell it & buy a 540i instead.

From what you describe - I don't think you will gain what you are looking for from this one.

Vanos seals, Manual conversion ;)

The E36 M3 engine isn't so different to an M54 either.

Dinan Supercharger would be good for power but does come with a price.. I have a 528i and I would agree that its no slug but is a bit underpowered and it does need more power!

Different tac you mentioned the 525 was your wife's car mmm does she know about your plans for her car ??

Whats wrong with the hilux diesel plenty of torque their :P seriously if you want something to match the GTB then have a look at the M range or a 540.

Different tac you mentioned the 525 was your wife's car mmm does she know about your plans for her car ??

Whats wrong with the hilux diesel plenty of torque their :P seriously if you want something to match the GTB then have a look at the M range or a 540.

I am not saying that it is a "boring" car, just a bit of a slouch at times, it is far from boring. Nor am I trying to replicate or replace a turbo Soobie for out right power. The car is a pleasure to drive, and handles like a dream with the adjusties and huge wheels, al I am saying is that it just needs a bit more urgency. Does the missus need to know the plans? Um... No, but that is not the point. The Hi Lux has good for torque but is noisey and inrefined to drive and does not make for a plesant ride on a long road trip (plus the dog gets car sick in it and voimts al over my nice rubber mats).

So all I am after is a few mods to liberate a little more power, I'm not after V8 power, nor am I after forced induction, just something to match it's handling ability.

if it were me i'd be looking into some e36 m3 headers(not sure how well they fit in an e39), a cam grind and a remap. m54b30 intakes are supposed to be an upgrade as well.

replacing vanos seals is a good idea

What part of the country are you in?

Tauranga, but Auckland is not too far away.

I am not saying that it is a "boring" car, just a bit of a slouch at times, it is far from boring. Nor am I trying to replicate or replace a turbo Soobie for out right power. The car is a pleasure to drive, and handles like a dream with the adjusties and huge wheels, al I am saying is that it just needs a bit more urgency. Does the missus need to know the plans? Um... No, but that is not the point. The Hi Lux has good for torque but is noisey and inrefined to drive and does not make for a plesant ride on a long road trip (plus the dog gets car sick in it and voimts al over my nice rubber mats).

So all I am after is a few mods to liberate a little more power, I'm not after V8 power, nor am I after forced induction, just something to match it's handling ability.

That ain't a dog!

Remap will do it.

That ain't a dog!

Remap will do it.

Pax is a big doy! He's nearly as big as your cat. It's not his fault he can't see over the window sills in the Hi Lux! Yeah definately a remap is on the cards, also cold air box + pod, where can I get a decent header back exhaust done with quad pipes at the rear that will fit nicely into the rear kit I'm getting? Also, you need to help me stance the car too by the way, the front wheels need to come out a bit, the rears sit nicely in line with the arches, so might have to buy a few spacers and see what looks good and what doesn't.

Pax is a big doy! He's nearly as big as your cat. It's not his fault he can't see over the window sills in the Hi Lux! Yeah definately a remap is on the cards, also cold air box + pod, where can I get a decent header back exhaust done with quad pipes at the rear that will fit nicely into the rear kit I'm getting? Also, you need to help me stance the car too by the way, the front wheels need to come out a bit, the rears sit nicely in line with the arches, so might have to buy a few spacers and see what looks good and what doesn't.

The spear wheel well will kill your quad exhuast idea. Cold air intake will do f**k all other than make more noise.

The spear wheel well will kill your quad exhuast idea. Cold air intake will do f**k all other than make more noise.

I'll find someone who can find a way around it. Yeah I want to open up to that nice straight 6 sound like yours bud. Like a vaccum cleaner on steriods

I'll find someone who can find a way around it. Yeah I want to open up to that nice straight 6 sound like yours bud. Like a vaccum cleaner on steriods

I've just had my panel & paint shop remove my tyre well for the dual exhaust i planned.

No problem! Just another thing I'm including in the certification.

forget about pod filter and pull a aluminium pipe from it all the way to the ground so the opening is facing the floor as u drive. just be careful on rainy days as it will suck in water :)