Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

A Topic

Ok, so with the new law now with regards to give way I'm confident all here are starting to find it better than before, at least I am. It makes for a faster time especially in town.

What I am still f**ked off with and confused with is on a twin way system turning into. If I'm turning right into a one way system (with two lanes in the same direction) people are still coming across into my lane that I am turning into (see pic) I hope this explains things, I was under the understanding that when turning left into a dual lane system you had the right of way regardless of the new rule as the opposite traffic had to turn into the first available lane FIRST, then indicate to turn into the farther away lane???

What I'm saying is, "car 1" should have clear course to turn into their first available lane regardless, yet "car 2" should still have the right to turn freely into their first available lane also (their first available lane) however if car 1 turns into the farthest away lane in which the have the right of way they are turning into a lane they shouldn't be???

post-2864-1338385292.jpg

Edited by The Diesel Guy

This is a very good question, as I have this exact same situation over here everyday. I live on a two way, single lane street in downtown Sacramento. The roads at either end of my block are one way, three lane roads.

I treat it that when I am in your situation, I assume that both car 1 and car 2 can essentially go at the same time. I always go into the closest available lane to me, and then indicate once I am in that lane to get to the one I need to be in. I have never had a problem yet, or any close calls.

Theory: Correct.

Reality: Good luck!

Have you tried finding mention of it in the road code?

You DO (should) have a clear lane to enter, and the other car has to turn into the same lane they were in. if they had two turning lanes, you couldn't do it.

You are correct in thinking that diesel guy and it is in the road code. If I'm turning right into the one way il go straight into closest lane but since the left turning people normally have the right of way they usually don't pay any attention to this rule and pull straight into furtherest lane where I'm already turning into. So usually I'm vary wary as to what the other car is going to do.

God damn dunedin drivers!

Yeah but doesn't the rule say that you have to turn into the same lane you are already in based on how far you are from the centre divider? I don't remember exactly...

So if you are in the lane next to the oncoming traffic, thats where you are supposed to stay. In that scenario, car 1 would have the right of way wouldnt it?

Yeah but doesn't the rule say that you have to turn into the same lane you are already in based on how far you are from the centre divider? I don't remember exactly...

So if you are in the lane next to the oncoming traffic, thats where you are supposed to stay. In that scenario, car 1 would have the right of way wouldnt it?

It does say each vehicle must stay within it's lane, but i believe generally it is interpreted that a right turning vehicle from a single lane will turn into the righthand lane of a two-lane road.

Probably should be clarified in future roadcodes?

My understanding is that car one should have right of way turning into the closest lane but then the rule "give way to your right" should apply. So if car one wants to turn into the farthest lane they have to go into the closest lane, then make sure the 2nd lane is clear before entering it.

Clear as mud?

righto

carry on :D

Yes, it's in the road code but most people don't know it and that was before all the changes confused people even more!

They have had to put extra signs on the turns in Wellington to try and get people to do this properly, as most don't know what to do and slow the traffic at junctions.

I always think that if the opposite car has the potential to hit me in my drivers door, I give way, and vise versa.

Except where the new give way rules at a T junction apply.

You can be fined by the Police for not turning into the closest lane. The Police did a series of setups here and gave out $150.00 tickets!! :mellow:

In theory both cars can turn at the same time and the new rule doesnt effect this as it has always been in place.

I have recently been annoyed with people not even looking before they switch lanes... not indicating <_<

You turn into the closest lane to you... not fking hard.

It's even in the Road code, bet the derpy c**t that fails at it would try rage and moan. I think I might print this one off..

Posted Image

How does this affect Bus lanes? i.e bus lane on the LHS. Does the bus lane count as a "lane" or they just turn straight onto the R/H lane?

You turn into the closest lane to you... not fking hard.

It's even in the Road code, bet the derpy c**t that fails at it would try rage and moan. I think I might print this one off..

Posted Image

Yep... pretty simple and if you want to move across to the next lane... "give way to your right" applies.

How does this affect Bus lanes? i.e bus lane on the LHS. Does the bus lane count as a "lane" or they just turn straight onto the R/H lane?

It is a bus lane, why are you driving in a bus lane? Unless of course you are driving a bus :P

Yep... pretty simple and if you want to move across to the next lane... "give way to your right" applies.

It is a bus lane, why are you driving in a bus lane? Unless of course you are driving a bus :P

the bus lanes have a 7-9am or 4-6pm sign attached in Auckland. They aren't permanently bus lanes. If you drive/park on them outside those hours, you won't get fined/towed. Thats my understanding anyway

You can be fined by the Police for not turning into the closest lane. The Police did a series of setups here and gave out $150.00 tickets!! :mellow:

In theory both cars can turn at the same time and the new rule doesnt effect this as it has always been in place.

I have recently been annoyed with people not even looking before they switch lanes... not indicating <_<

The po po often do the same here in tauranga - Walkie talkie ahead if you've turned straight to the outside lane.

And I'm sure if a bus lane was the very left you wouldn't turn into that.

I had this happen again today in the same place. Fantastic fun it is!

I had this happen again today in the same place. Fantastic fun it is!

As long as you are in the commy, just drive into them.....

Pull out the road code exerpt and staple to their forehead.

The examples here in wgtn, as mentioned, have sign posts / diagrams AND lane discipline markings.

my understanding is it all changes if you are confronting an SUV though, especially a late model euro.

As long as you are in the commy, just drive into them.....

Pull out the road code exerpt and staple to their forehead.

The examples here in wgtn, as mentioned, have sign posts / diagrams AND lane discipline markings.

It was in the Commy but it would fold up like a piece of tissue paper if it hit anything. The 320d would probably barge a hole through the opponent.

my understanding is it all changes if you are confronting an SUV though, especially a late model euro.

:lol:

Yet people still manage to cock it up. The Tinakori/Bowen intersection is hell..

it's a simple concept, and common courtesy, but unfortunately people are very impatient and will do absolutely anything to get 1 or 2 cars ahead, especially in peak hours

My next favorite one is normal ole Give way T intersections with one big lane, dickheads sitting in the middle to turn right!!!

It was in the Commy but it would fold up like a piece of tissue paper if it hit anything. The 320d would probably barge a hole through the opponent.

That situation is also a good demonstration of hoe good most BMW horns are..the 120 d has a ^&%$#N LOUD horn

That situation is also a good demonstration of hoe good most BMW horns are..the 120 d has a ^&%$#N LOUD horn

is a horn mate!