Sign in to follow this  
vendt

potenza re002 cracking

hi all, put some bridgestone potenza re002 on my bmw about 5mths ago just had a control arm done for WOF so i got wheel alinement and wheels rotated.the guy at tire shop noticed cracking on inner tread :blink: anyone got the same problem or any idea why this is happening.tires where $1200 and i really cant afford to replace them,maybe i should have gone with the nitto invo :ph34r: .thanks

hi all, put some bridgestone potenza re002 on my bmw about 5mths ago just had a control arm done for WOF so i got wheel alinement and wheels rotated.the guy at tire shop noticed cracking on inner tread :blink: anyone got the same problem or any idea why this is happening.tires where $1200 and i really cant afford to replace them,maybe i should have gone with the nitto invo :ph34r: .thanks

did you not buy the optional tyre insurance? i always do unless i plan to sell the car anyways

edit: forgot to say i have the RE001s as well and no sign of cracking last i checked.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

did you not buy the optional tyre insurance? i always do unless i plan to sell the car anyways

edit: forgot to say i have the RE001s as well and no sign of cracking last i checked.

no told me about insurance ?

no told me about insurance ?

who did you buy from? Tonys tyres offer it, pretty sure brorepairs do also. not sure about the other crowds

Tyre insurance you say? Who does that? I had the same problem on my maxxis 255/45/17s on the rear and changed to 245/45 re002's so I hope it doesn't happen again because as you said, they are not cheap to replace

Yeah ive had two RE002's fail so far and my third wore out really unevenly even though nothing wrong with alignment etc. Tony's tyre service (tossers) didnt want to know even though i had insurance.

Since goodyear stopped the F1's ive had to resort to bridgestone and never ever been happy with them. This is the last time i'll be using bridgestone

Utter bollocks, Nuff said

That's shithouse they didn't come to the party. Might have to find another brand to use next time if these fail then

Yeah ive had two RE002's fail so far and my third wore out really unevenly even though nothing wrong with alignment etc. Tony's tyre service (tossers) didnt want to know even though i had insurance.

Since goodyear stopped the F1's ive had to resort to bridgestone and never ever been happy with them. This is the last time i'll be using bridgestone

Utter bollocks, Nuff said

tis is crazy talk :blink: so all that money i saved,the first time i eva got new tires,and thats it. i cant understand why big companies a doing this with no comeback.now i have to get some money together and put shitty second tires on my baby it just sux.

What pressure ar eyou running in them? If the pressure is not high enough the sidewalls can be prone to failure.

What pressure ar eyou running in them? If the pressure is not high enough the sidewalls can be prone to failure.

tire guy said 32psi my mechanic has put it up to 38 saying that the outer tread is wearing out,x tire shop guy is running his at 40 (not pontenza) Edited by vendt

tire guy said 32psi my mechanic has put it up to 38 saying that the outer tread is wearing out,x tire shop guy is running his at 40 (not pontenza)

try the forum sponsor for a replacement, depends on where abouts you are located?

We have Now started supplying new tyres in wellington, just opens up the choice of tyre, fitment and balancing in house

cheers

Jon

Edited by JKSE

Where abouts are you located?

We have Now started supplying new tyres in wellington, just opens up the choice of tyre, fitment and balancing in house

cheers

Jon

thanks jon but i just dont have the money i was hoping to get a few years out of these puppys,i really have no idea what to do :(

what about the consumer gaurentees act? if you havent had them long then theres a possibly, though they may claim you ran at the wrong pressure/werent aligned/left the car sitting for long amounts of time etc to which you couldnt really proove otherwise.

If you are genuine in your complaint and you don't throw the car around every corner that comes your way or enjoy losing traction then go back to the supplier. If they have a legitimate case to brush you away with, go straight to the manufacturer.

They don't lose anything as suppliers always happily take product back so as to not upset the relationship over something of low big picture cost.

Consumer guarantees act tells us that something ought to last a good product lifetime. If while proving km's travelled etc the cracks that your tires have can be deemed genuinely unsafe or defective, you have all the case you need surely?

Unless there is legislation excluding such things as tyres.

Edited by nath

Agree with Nath , Have had 6 sets of Bridgestone Tyres , I've only had cracking on one tyre out of 24. I considered that one to be faulty , even then was after being on the car for 4 years and 30,000 kms.

Ring Bridgestone NZ , The RE002 Are surposed to be an entry into the elite Potenza range. This should not happen if used normally or a slighly spirited style of driving.

Agree, tyres last longer than 5 months. Take them back with proof of purchase (bank statement will do). Don't. take no for an answer if you have been driving normally with correct pressure.

Insurance on tyres , what bollocks is that: the product has to be fit for purpose and you need to use it according to the manaufactuers specs .

If you do the Consuner guarantees act covers you , If you dont no insurance will cover you so you have just paid extra money for your tyres.

the insurance is for if you hit a screw that punctured the sidewall/people slashing your tyres (which would usually not be worth claiming normal insurance on) etc that sort of senario. I claimed on it once back when i brought tyres for the Volvo, no hassle replacement from tonys, mind you they were only triangles. i just wondered if they might be prepared to cover the OPs senario too

have had this happen on my sister's car. she kept running 32psi in 235s 18" on her bmw. tell tell signs of under inflated tyre is the side of the running diameter ( the surface that touches the ground) is wearing faster than the middle part. she only had triangle tyres though and had cracks on the side walls.

RE002 is not an old enough tyre design to be past its use by date, more likely to be due to underinflation.

On the insurance issue

- if some one slashed your tyres it is covered under your car insurance so you are double paying.

- the screw in the side wall put air in your tyres so you are not driving on the sidewall.

Would never pay this it is a rip off

Tyres dont need to be underinflated to get damage to the sidewall, see it fairly often.

Tyres dont need to be underinflated to get damage to the sidewall, see it fairly often.

so ive got them at 38 is this to much pressure? everyones got there own ideas but nothing to back it up (jack of all trades master of none) :unsure: