Sign in to follow this  
Matt

WTB: E34 touring

I'm sick of using the e30 for surfing trips so I figure an e34 wagon/touring would be the go!

Preferences:

-2.5L or larger engine (can't help but think the 520i would be a bit gutless on the open road. Comments?)

-Manual (will settle for an auto though if the rest of the car is in great nick

-Leather (a preference but definitely not a necessity)

-Black dashboard (there is little I hate more than a beige dashboard and they seem to be too common on 5 series!)

I am in Auckland so would prefer something local rather than taking a punt on something I can't see in the flesh before buying.

I would prefer to spend under $5k but could (reluctantly) stretch the budget for the perfect car. Let me know what you've got!

Edit: Damn, put this in the wrong section! Can a mod please move for me?

Edited by Matt

$5k should get you a pretty clean one. they usually sit around the $2-4k mark for a 2.5L. the V8s are more of course. Manual pretty much out of the question, ive only seen one and that was the 525iX i used to have.

and your right about the 520i. my Touring used to be an M52B20 (M50B20 is the standard engine) so was slightly perkier than the normal 520i, but still a slug. You want a 2.5L minimum. Not from personal experience but aparently the M30 versions arent the way to go either, too thirsty when you could have more powerful and more efficient M60 for the same price bracket.

Cheers for the info. I kind of figured it would be a long shot on the manual but worth asking haha. This one on trademe would be perfect, pity it is in Levin though!

most have the double sunroof setup

which aren't working or leak when parked on a hill etc

that one in levin has a non working sunroof.

e39 wagons are getting cheap now , lots of high k's one now around $4-7k but all seam to need lotsof little thing doing.

e34 vanos 525i with leather , non sunroof , auto

then convert to manual and while you are at it drop in a e36 328i engine :rolleyes:

Stretch your budget for a E39 touring..... Sold...BMW 530i touring this one even had a roof rack for your boards.

Edited by speedyg

My Dual-Sunroof works and doesn't leak.

I paid 2k for mine lulz.

I think the 2.5 M50 is okay. I think I'd get an E39.

Wish mine had leather :( Stupid NZ people ordering things with strange options.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe it is worth stretching the budget for an e39. Although it would probably require me to sell my E30, when I was planning on keeping 2 cars. I am definitely sick of it, I am just struggling with how much money I will probably lose on it after all the work I've done haha.

I have to say though, an E39 will definitely have to have leather, they just don't look nice inside at all with the cloth interior.

I have also just seen how cheap 530i m-sport sedans have gotten! Can anyone tell me if the rear seats can fold down on the sedans? Obviously they'll never be as good as a wagon for throwing the boards in but maybe a compromise could be achieved with fold down seats, I wonder...

talk to my mate if want a touring he collects them all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also just seen how cheap 530i m-sport sedans have gotten! Can anyone tell me if the rear seats can fold down on the sedans? Obviously they'll never be as good as a wagon for throwing the boards in but maybe a compromise could be achieved with fold down seats, I wonder...

It was an option, some do, some don't, some only have a ski-port. My jap import m-sport 530i Sedan doesn't have any ski-port or split folding seats and the Jap ones have nav computer is mounted under the parcel tray which limits what you can put in there as well.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe it is worth stretching the budget for an e39. Although it would probably require me to sell my E30, when I was planning on keeping 2 cars. I am definitely sick of it, I am just struggling with how much money I will probably lose on it after all the work I've done haha.

I have to say though, an E39 will definitely have to have leather, they just don't look nice inside at all with the cloth interior.

Personally if you're using it fortrips to the beach, I think the last thingyou want is a leather interior.

imho the e34 is a more entertaining dr than the e39 a late model 525 touring would be the go i reckon.With a litle maintenance leater is the best interior trim.Dont get black interior.

To the OP have you contacted the levin guy?Looks a good car to me.

A nice choice of BMW the E34 touring...

There was a wave of 3 or 4 tourings last year, a couple of nice 540i models amongst them, but some were asking silly money.

I think one of them lives around One Tree Hill, see it often, a very nice looking machine.

Brent, is your friend selling any of his tourings by chance?