Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

factory immobilzers effective or not

Key fobs and a e39 systems is quite different. Theyre hacking the key, not the EWS.

It is possible to replicate the transponder signal in e46,39,x5,38 and burn into a new key, but you really need to know what youre doing and have a pretty decent understanding of the RF range and its protocol.

All of this takes time. The other thing is, the RF signal for e39's is in the car, so you still have to smash the window and set off the alarm to read it. Or get the key.

My insurance company asked me if I had an alarm, I said yes. They asked if it was a 5 star alarm, I said its integrated into the DME and drive away prtection system. But if thats what you mean '5' then yes.

They accepted it no worries.

my insurance company (AMI) just asked if it had a factory fitted alarm and that was it.

I just got insurance on an e32, factory imobilizer, has a red light on the dash. State accepted that as sufficient and reduced my premium :)

Edited by tcbaurpower

my E34 is like that, you can pull the knob up but it doesnt unlock the door. a right prick if the battery goes flat. some of them have the locks sink away into the doors when locked too.

that's an easy one! Use the screwdriver trick to pop the bonnet and hook a battery upto the positive bolt and the neg to the lift hook! Or climb in the rear of the touring.

my insurance company (AMI) just asked if it had a factory fitted alarm and that was it.

AMI don't give a f**k about alarms IMO. told them I had one fitted... "what model ect is it, who installed it" "ok, we'll write that down but it doesn't make a difference"

Not like anyone really wants to steal an E30 anyway.

I just got insurance on an e32, factory imobilizer, has a red light on the dash. State accepted that as sufficient and reduced my premium :)

E32, factory imobilizer, don't think so???

E32, factory imobilizer, don't think so???

twas an option. E30s too, only one of mine had that though

Won't be EWS though.

Won't be EWS though.

yep your right, just a relay to the fuel pump iirc, the same system uniden and all that use today LOL

if per se, you had the ECU, EWS Box, and Transponder stuff... could you swap them into another vehicle and start it?

if per se, you had the ECU, EWS Box, and Transponder stuff... could you swap them into another vehicle and start it?

Yes, but you would need the right key to turn the ignition barrel. All of this would take some time to do though

Edited by *Glenn*

Few things going on here.

stealing a vehicle expecting to drive away with the car in a reasonible amount of time. Not possible without spending a lot of time to do it.

There for, tow truck or steal key.

Steal car with tow truck, then change out everything to get the car to work. Only possible with EWS1 and 2, EWS3 onwards requires an IKE, GM5, DME, EWS and Key change over ... very expensive unless you have a donor car.

Then you need to hardcode the chassis VIN into all of these to hide it all. Which requires a lot of know how of the binaries and how to reprogram them soldering to the SMD mounted MCU pinouts.

Again, drive away protection in this country is awesome.

This is all before (if you have one) the alarm siren and door lock bolts have been set off.

Most people wouldn't bother.

It gets exponetially harder the newer the model. Newer models use encrypted hash strings which take a very long time to break, then when you think you have it. It changes the rolling code and re-hashes the string.

From what I understand in Europe there are some quite sophisticated organised criminals who steal cars to ship them to Europe and the former USSR. The CEO of Daimler used to be driver around in an armored limo which was stolen from outside an office building.

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,1404659_page_0,00.html

But once again they may have used a tow truck.

In NZ I would imagine that most cars are stolen for joyriding or parts. That tends to limit the cars that will get stolen to the easy ones and the ones for which people want lots of 2nd hand parts for.

I'm more concerned about vandalism or a 'smash and grab' than I am my car being stolen.

Yes, but you would need the right key to turn the ignition barrel. All of this would take some time to do though

of course, it was more a proof of concept really.

In NZ I would imagine that most cars are stolen for joyriding or parts. That tends to limit the cars that will get stolen to the easy ones and the ones for which people want lots of 2nd hand parts for.

I'm more concerned about vandalism or a 'smash and grab' than I am my car being stolen.

yea that's why you always hear about subaru's, honda's, skyline's, mitsi's etc been stolen, that's what all the boy racers drive so it makes it easy to sell the parts

my concern is also more about vandalism, I don't want to go through the hassle of finding my car messed up from some failed attempt at been stolen

some common sense does go a long way though; don't leave valuables in your car, actually pretty much don't leave anything sitting in your car at all, even if it's just a plastic bag with a change of clothes and you don't think it's worth been stolen, the thieves don't know that from the outside of your car and may think there's something valuable in there