Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

E30's 30th birthday?

Released 82? Not sure which date but this makes the car 30 years old this year!

10 more and it be a Classis (cheap regos?) Reckon there'd be any on the roads by then at the rate people are wrecking them nowadays?

I thought a classic (under rego rules) was over 25years?

20 years for the classic car register I thought?

Once a car reaches 40yr old it qualifies for a discounted relicensing rate.

Fair way to go for the E30.

Once a car reaches 40yr old it qualifies for a discounted relicensing rate.

Fair way to go for the E30.

That is correct. My Beetle just turned 40 last week, and its been on cheap rego since the beginning on the year B)

They all change over in January of the year they turn 40.

That is correct. My Beetle just turned 40 last week, and its been on cheap rego since the beginning on the year B)

They all change over in January of the year they turn 40.

out of interest, is it when the model turns 40 or the actual car?

Year the car is registered.

Out of curiosity, whats the hit for license fee Allen?

I wonder if the Greenies will get such things changed in the coming years.. arguing that older cars are more polluting to the environment so should be more expensive to registered blah blah blah... of course thats crap and hopefully logic will prevail..

In truth it's better to keep an older car running that was built to last 30, 40 or 50 years ago rather than buying a 5 year lifetime replacement plastic eco box.

I wonder if the Greenies will get such things changed in the coming years.. arguing that older cars are more polluting to the environment so should be more expensive to registered blah blah blah... of course thats crap and hopefully logic will prevail..

In truth it's better to keep an older car running that was built to last 30, 40 or 50 years ago rather than buying a 5 year lifetime replacement plastic eco box.

Dunno about that one lol, whenever I follow a mid 90's Toyota or Mitsubishi, I always have to put on recycle in the car, they stink like shite. New cars are far better to the environment than older ones, however I've never bought a car on it's ecological factors.

Year the car is registered.

Out of curiosity, whats the hit for license fee Allen?

It is the actual car, supposedly 40 years from first registration according to the LTNZ factsheet.

In actuality, it appears to be changed from January in the year the car turns 40, according to the year it is registered as :wacko: :

i.e. My Beetle was manufactured 6th July 1972, first registered as a 1972 in New Zealand (brand new) but in early 1974 (It was imported and kept in stock until sold, which was reasonably common with VW's this late - its a German assembled 1200, not NZ or Aus). In Jan this year, it changed to "classic" status

So, if you have a car registered as a 1973, next January, it will revert to classic Rego, which I seem to recall is about $110 give or take.

Dunno about that one lol, whenever I follow a mid 90's Toyota or Mitsubishi, I always have to put on recycle in the car, they stink like shite. New cars are far better to the environment than older ones, however I've never bought a car on it's ecological factors.

This is true, but most of the time those are poorly maintained cars - if they all had regular oil changes and maintenance they wouldn't be any where near as smokey.

I guess it comes down to cheap people driving cheap cars into the ground.

This is true, but most of the time those are poorly maintained cars - if they all had regular oil changes and maintenance they wouldn't be any where near as smokey.

That statement would encompass about 35% of the BMW's that come to my door daily

That statement would encompass about 35% of the BMW's that come to my door daily

Is that all? i would have thought it would be higher than that!

It would represent most the cars on the road I'd imagine after consideration

It's the kiwi "if it ain't broke don't fix it" way.

Blame society.

Is that all? i would have thought it would be higher than that!

That's 35% of the ones that actually get taken to Glenn though - there's still all the ones that DON'T get taken in there or anywhere.....

But hey - make sure you buy NZ new, eh?

It's the kiwi "if it ain't broke don't fix it" way.

Blame society.

haha yup

That's 35% of the ones that actually get taken to Glenn though - there's still all the ones that DON'T get taken in there or anywhere.....

Yup - makes me laugh :rolleyes: Bet my ex Jap E39 is better maintained than MOST NZ new equivelents.

Even have the service history of it's 24k km's when in Japan, and yes it did have oil changes...

That said, I have seen many basket cases of cars ex Japan over the years - I just did my research before bringing the car in.

Yeah I agree Grant - 9/10 Id take a Japanese import over an NZ one.

I suppose the main argument against Japanese imports is that they do short trips and sit in lots of traffic so the engines are more worn than the rest of the car would be.

Ive always found that to be a generalization, sure some of the cars there are driven like that, such is the case in NZ but many are driven good distances - Japan is quite a big place!

Interestingly, it recently occurred to me that my Boss for the past 5 years has been driving his V8 VW to work only 1km away, so in the mornings its never warmed up properly... can't be good for it - probably explains why its a bit noisy at idle with only 99,000ks on the clock!!

my view is the lot are just as risky as others, i just never have a car long enough for issues to arise LOL

Wow. From E30 bday to cheap rego to eco cars to nz new/import cars. Talk about a change of topic. lol

^^^^ Yup, must say I thought that too as I responded to the post above mine