Sign in to follow this  
Shady

My New (old) E30

Just picked it up today, had a good drive home. Seems fine, apart from the idle issue (no biggy).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=498784937 - for current photos.

So basically as you see it & described. Im going to do the following (remove the stuff from the mattblack one then hock it off).

Interior:-

Install Bucket Seats.

Swap Rear Seat (mine has armrest & mint).

Leather Trimmed Handle & Leather Surround.

Bosskit & S/Wheel.

Floor Mats.

Install All Sounds.

Black Door Trims.

Door Lock Knobs.

Parcel tray & Histop Light.

Exterior:-

Smiley Headlights & Foglights.

Tail Lights. And Indicators.

F&R Bumpers (318 ones are tidier).

Front Valance & iS Lip over (this valance is bent etc).

Rear apron/cover thing (forget what its called).

Change rego plates (so new Govt ones for the 318).

Further Mods/Repairs:-

Get dents removed & full polish (has NO rust and NO paint fade). Only Rust spots on sunroof to be removed. New floor carpet. Exhaust system. Need a winder for the sunroof. New gearknob, pedal covers & gear stick gaitor. New BMW badges (I wont debadge this one).

And then just tidy up the motor (eg polish etc). So this is going to be fun. Much nicer than my 318i (and NO rust to worry about)!

EXTRA Bonuses:-

17" Rims (a tiny bit of marks nothing major). Lowered. Sunroof. NO cracks in the dashboard (only 1 that is like 1mm big)! Cambelt also done recently. Towbar. So not a bad score I reckon.

And also, me & my mate think its got an LSD in it - how do I check? Or just find a nice grass patch lol.

Edited by Shady

Jack up the back, spin one wheel, if the other spins the same way it has LSD.

Grass patch won't work., grass is easy to spin wheels on thus both will spin anyway.

Shot. Will do that tomorrow.

That's a pretty tidy e30 you've scored there

just needs a 2.5L and a cert for the bucket seats and you'll be away!

i dont mean to stir, but you paid a lot for it though? i could have found you a better deal given you are obviously not too bothered about bodywork and overall condition, seems to me you really only paid $2k for an inferior M20B20, a manual conversion and some honda wheels? of course, if it has an LSD too which is unlikely being a 320i, then you got a good deal!

Nah. I dont see anhy 320i or 325i Manuals, no rust, sunroof, crackless dash, rims & tyres for UNDER 2G. I see heaps of boring 318i and 320 autos for OVER 2G but dont have what I got.

I will take better photos (before I commence work) to show how it is (auction photos not that good). Paint is fine with a few nicks here n there (a good buff would work) and the dents are not major - so yes I do care about bodywork, I dont want a rust POS (like my 318) or a dented up n bashed up E30.

You'll see, will do the photos when I get a chance to.

Oh, and Cert the buckies? Nah man, I been using it for ages in the 318 without the cops & wof men saying anything (mind you only had one cop pull me up in the last year lol). And nah, not ungrading the motor.

Need to get rid of the f--king INspire & get my Probe on the road - then maybe do some major work to the 320i.

Edited by Shady

Probably because you don't need a cert for bucket seats, as long as the mounting points are not modified and they are a reputable brand...

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44036

Sunroof you say.

It's even NZ New!

What colour is it?

Um, I forget now but will get the "real" name later today of the engine bay (still`has the sticker). But its a Grey. NZ new? Is it? I need to check that. But it came with the original Manual & Service Booklet full of stamps but I am the 9th Owner or something so a bit extreme. Engine does need some fine tuning though. I was keen on doing an electric swap over, even the windows are Manual. But just over the lasy few days I am beginning to like them more & more. I loved the electrics in my 318 but yeah...

Probably because you don't need a cert for bucket seats, as long as the mounting points are not modified and they are a reputable brand...

The last time I had the buckets in my 318i I had proper rails for an E30 (using original bolts & holes & belts) but this time because one seat is too high (never ha dit in until now) I cant use it so only have my original bucket in and I now have it on original BMW rails modified to bolt bucket seat to it (made by a pro engineer guy who sold them on TM). So with these rails will be a test for my next WOF.

Edited by Shady

So far I have swapped over eveything I wanted to, except a few things. And also still waiting for a few items/still looking/etc. See my WTB ad.

Still to do:-

-Remove front valance (with foglights & iS lip) off the 318 and put in onto the 320. 320 valance is too damaged to keep (so put it on the 318).

-Fit the eyelids to the 320.

-Waiting for my gearstick gaiter.

-I have fresh carpet to fit (when I have a week of sunny days).

-Still waiting a few items off a guy on TM (more info on that when I've got them & fitted).

-Still need badges & garknob.

-And a good looksy at the motor. Quieten down the Tappets, stop the idle being weird (sounds like it has little lumpy cams) and I THINK it has a small dead spot (I just need to find when rev range but only last a a split second which is why I dont really notice it).

Will add photos soon. I have to use my phone as the Laptop we are using cant recognise my camera...stupid thing.

^ Yeah I carjammed it.

But the VIN is entered incorrectly. It's got numbers in-place of letters, my E34 is like this too. I have no idea why? who the hell Enters the VIN when cars are new? surely not the dealers?

True that. I tried to carjam it but I think I've used up my freebies for the month as I got no info. The name for the paint is 'Diamondschwarz-Metallic'.

Also swapped the valance over (with the lip & foggys) yesterday.

Another update.

I fit the leather gaiter, I got from JC. Looks so mint.

And also received my bunch of items off a TM seller. I have to say one of the best deals I've had in a long time - but Im not ging to say how much, simply just say - its good to shop around instead of going with the first choice! What did I get? Full Battery-Boot Conversion (minus box, I have one anyway) - will install this when I do the carpet. Sunroof Winder Handle - now to figure out how to pop it on without breaking it. MINT Underdash Panel - already fit. Aerial - to be fitted whnever I want.

Ahh Thought you might be on here some where haha,

Nice little project man (needs more photos!) im glad those bits helped out!

Yeah cheers for the parts man. Only problem, I think the winder handle has been damaged (a lip on the edge of the socket part has been broken off so it doesnt stay on if I pop the handle back up). But will do for now.

Am just waiting for a gearknob I bought off trademe to arrive then will try put some photos up...might do that at my mums place her laptop is better than this one - so should be done in a day or 2.

Just one photo of the car. Used my phone so checking how it comes out. Will put more up soon.

post-4588-1346275431.jpg

Have also decided I need to repaint all the Black trimmings such as:- both bumpers, all door bump trims, black metal trims on all doors & front grills cos they are quit faded (but not the chrome bits, sorry guys) ;P

Edited by Shady

The way I did my bumpers is I used Trim Paint and clear coated it, but I did not paint the plastic trims, I just polished them with cutting compound.

The way I did my bumpers is I used Trim Paint and clear coated it, but I did not paint the plastic trims, I just polished them with cutting compound.

Shot for the suggestion.

Thats what the sticker says. Whys that?

Looks more like Delphin?

I dunno bout that steering wheel and the black reverse lights...? Are they staying or going?

It has a slight sparkle in the sun, it is old paint so wont be shiney like from the factory. And my phone cant pick up much detail.

Steering wheel is going when my other one gets retrimmed when I have some spare $$s (current one is better than original wheel - they are huge & fkn ugly). And the tails are off the 318i, all redded. Reverse lights didnt work so I put stickers over it (yes its legal) - and havent bothered removing them. Still gotta go to a panel beater for a price to remove the dents & a good hardcore polish. Maybe this week.

EDIT- am also very angry about today. I had all the paint ready to paint all the black stuff and it poured down ALL day. Stupid rain. I work weekends so couldnt do it this weekend been.

Edited by Shady

definatley not diamond black, this is my old E30 in similar lighting conditions and shitty camera too

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_