Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

Yep, immaculate car and good to see it in the flesh today. Think I'd probably paint the lip but that's just me. Deliberated the similar Hamann lip for the 540i but I'm not totally sold - somehow too separate to the bumper (if that makes sense?) - though it looks pretty good in person on your car.

Love it man, looks sweet. I agree that you should keep the splitter black

Thanks chaps - lol at the dustpan Kyu, hit the nail on the head!

Will probably ask Seth to wrap it, I've already touched up a stonechip from the drive y'day!

Thanks chaps - lol at the dustpan Kyu, hit the nail on the head!

Will probably ask Seth to wrap it, I've already touched up a stonechip from the drive y'day!

Don't know if it tickles your fancy but I've got a heap of carbon wrap you can use some of lol.

Haha come on man I expected you'd have wrapped your seats by now! :D At least a CF inner roof lining..!

All good thanks mate, I'd like to match the 3m Satin on the roof if possible.

(and I'd butcher it if I wrapped it myself)

Hi everyone,

Time for another update, as a few more parts have arrived from BMW, and I've been busy installing them.

The cupholders & oddments tray replace the centre console storage area, handy if you want to conceal some coins or carry the odd drink in your car.

3_zps967b1688.jpg

6_zps4372d21c.jpg

This shot also shows the standard leather handbrake.

The alcantara handbrake turned up, with the whole bloody assembly. Turns out this too is made for a LHD car (like my alcantara gear surround), and as such doesn't bolt on to the RHD car.

2_zps90434d4f.jpg

Mmm. Alcantara. I thought I'd ordered an alcantara handbrake boot too, but it turns out the one I ordered is a direct replacement for my current one. It's new though, so I'm not too fussed.

1_zps84fcfb3b.jpg

I removed the leather handle and lay them side by side for comparison.

13_zpsd19bb44e.jpg

Removing the new handle proved... challenging. I've managed to rip my hands to shreds (through gloves) trying to remove the bloody thing. I recommend using all of the following tools, in a soundproof room.

14_zps4003b270.jpg

Once done (and you're back from the medical cupboard), attach the inside of the handbrake boot to the handle - this part is important so there is overlap.

You'll need a thin (medium) cable tie - if you notice, BMW do this from the factory, so it's not really a rangi mod.

15_zpsf0fc252a.jpg

Putting the handbrake handle back on with blistered up hands is pretty fun, this is as far as I could get it on tonight. I still have 10mm or so to move it into place properly, but it's on. I'm going to call victory on this one.

17_zps31d0ccde.jpg

16_zpsd80a85ed.jpg

Some generic shots I took of the new front lip & rims the other day before the rain, for a little variety.

18_zpsd6da5f8e.jpg

19_zps5fed6cf6.jpg

Next on the list is an OEM sunglasses holder to replace the front ashtray.

The 2014 Gumboot Rally is also coming up - so I need to start thinking of a new theme.

The Luftwaffe livery was pretty cool, but I'd like to go for something a little more stand-out next year.

1378473_591164534263559_328693823_n_zpsa

I was considering a 'Death Race' theme with a whole lot of vinyl & louvers, but scrapped it because it'd probably be irreversible (and frankly dangerous given I'd want to somehow attach machine guns on the front & a tombstone on the rear).

Ford-Mustang-Death-Race.jpg

The other option I thought of was to replicate a GT car.

For this, I'd need a spare bootlid to bolt a wing onto & a splitter extension at the front, a couple of those nasty red towhook things, yellow film for the headlights & a whole lot of decals - this one would be a fair bit more straightforward.

2000-BMW-M3-GT-ALMS-570x340.jpg

pics-max-2116-165596-bmw-m3-e46-gt-r-adv

Open to suggestions here??

Hey Christian,

any updates about the tints? - you been back to Seth?

Work in progress mate.

I have now sorted the handbrake handle so it aligns the same as stock - stoked! For such a small change, it was a bloody frustrating job. Expensive, too - as it turns out you can't buy the alcantara handle separate from the entire assembly, and they only come in LHD (so 90% is wasted for this part).

On that note... if someone (for some reason) needs a LHD handbrake assembly for an e46 m3, let me know...!

AlcantaraHandbrake_zps2a6f7107.jpg

Next on the cards, a replacement OEM sunglasses holder for the ashtray & blank. Like with the cupholders and oddments tray, these handy parts either weren't available (or simply not chosen) on the NZ-new M3's - at least the one's I've seen. I'll keep the other interchangeable options as well.

me3vamsEvZkov0YKuH3FoTw.jpg

I'm also still waiting on the car cover from some cowboys on eBay, supposedly in Germany. Pretty sure I am getting scammed here, two incorrect tracking numbers, no package 4 weeks later... I've raised a case a couple of weeks ago, to no avail yet. Let's see what happens - I'm still holding a thin hope it's been sent.

Also, a new idea on a theme for the rally:

6180793002_7accaaba4a.jpg

Except given we're starting in Hamilton, it'd probably be more proper calling it the 'bling' taxi. Still open to suggestions here, I have another month or so before I need to start thinking about ordering decals or parts.

Where are you getting the sunglass holder from? I need one too lol

Where are you getting the sunglass holder from? I need one too lol

Hi mate, I'm going through BMW but Turner and a few others do them too. Part #51168260312: http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=324 or ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E46-NEW-Glasses-Storage-Tray-Center-Console-Dash-Holder-323-325-330-M3-312-/190598413209

In fact after a little more investigation, you may be in luck .. doesn't look like they fit M3's with the tv screen.... I thought because mine didn't have Navigation I'd be ok here.... Hmm. You buy?

Epic night for photos!

Pretty happy where we're at with M TOY now - it's been a fun couple of years saving & changing out the parts I wanted to, and I've learnt heaps along the way.

Whilst many of the changes I've made are quite subtle, they add up to quite a different car than when I bought it. I'll continue to chip away replacing parts when and where I can, so this is by no means the end of the road. In fact, it's quite far from it.

20131216_203841_zpsd6638f06.jpg
20131216_204043_zps5b365666.jpg
20131216_203920_zps1f879dfd.jpg
Edit: And one of Adeeb's photos from the last meet, for those who didn't spot it. MTOY, Adeeb's e39 & JT's topless wonder at Sylvia Park.
1.jpg
Edited by CSET
  • Like 2

I have now sorted the handbrake handle so it aligns the same as stock - stoked! For such a small change, it was a bloody frustrating job. Expensive, too - as it turns out you can't buy the alcantara handle separate from the entire assembly, and they only come in LHD (so 90% is wasted for this part).

AlcantaraHandbrake_zps2a6f7107.jpg

You simply purchased the wrong handbrake ... RHD part number is 34412282662. I hope you didn't pay a fortune for one, because they aren't actually that expensive from the UK.

Can't quite see in last post, but do you have a CSL diffuser?

Doesn't look like it.

Oh, that'd be right. Figured I had when I put them side-by-side. No matter, I transferred the handle (which is the only part I was after).

Tristan: no CSL diffuser, yet. I'm still thinking about that one - pretty happy with the aesthetics as it is now tbh.

Oh, here's some more recent pics. Lip removed for wrapping & tyres painted for theme:

TyrePaint1_zps43c571c9.jpg

TyrePaint2_zps3d7fe975.jpg

Lip wrapped and fitted up. Great job by Seth:

20140118_161459_zpse55e60b9.jpg

20140118_123621_zpsb876338b.jpg

Replaced last bit of chrome left:

20140115_191015_zpse5fddae2.jpg

• Like 1

looking good mate

So I heard from Seth you removed the rear tint? - much difference within the cabin?

Was hoping he would come up with a solution, the tint guys in the US seem to tint these dot matrix glass fine .......

Jah really happy with it aye. It might be a bit lighter under direct sunlight, but not really that noticeable. If anything it shows up the green in the side windows a bit more. Here's a couple of pics under different light with the rear tint removed:

20140111_145031_zps35370753.jpg

20140116_104503_zps378969b0.jpg

Read something the other day about people lightly sanding down the dot matrix. Not sure how it's worked out though.

what was the idea behind wrapping the lip? just preventive wear?

Yep. Also matches roof and other black parts.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Bought a carbon fiber diffuser from the states & fitted it up this week.

6TrialFit_zps8dde5ee4.jpg

Also fitted a black vinyl windshield banner, in prep for the upcoming rally.

11120140204_182930_zps71d87417.jpg

Most of the decals have arrived now - it's going to be a fun few days getting it ready

• Like 5

Diffuser looks great! Reckon you should carbon wrap the front lip to match the diffuser now!

• Like 1

Any pics of the diffuser from further back? Easy to fit?

Car looks tight.