Sign in to follow this  
samjarvis1987@gmail.com

Aftermarket E46 black breasts (grills) - what to buy?

Should I fork out the big money and get some factory produced ones i.e.; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-505761611.htm

Or I found these which seem to be painted plastic ones for $40USD;

post-16999-1345596934.jpg

They also do other colours; http://sv-concepts.com/3-series/e46-1999-2...he-bmw-e46.html

Or could I just spray paint them myself?

If anyone has had any experience in replacing their OEM grills with black ones please let me know.

Car is silver with black exterior trim, and got a two tone black and grey interior trim in progress, so reckon she would look mint with some black grills.

Thanks,

Sam

on an E46 swapping the grills is very easy, just a few clips, painting/vinyl wrapping is the cheapest and easiest option, but be aware that after time stone chips will chip the paint leaving the chrome showing through sometimes. better to buy black plastic ones.

Also buying from J levi is like $50 for shipping? Tardme would be cheaper. try the bay maybe.

Friend at Jeff Grey BMW said they don't do black grills for the year of my car so I will have to go aftermarket. She did say however I could get chrome surrounds with black flutes (the vertical bits)...

That could potentially look quite cool? Might go with the silver/black look I'm going for too.

Agree re the spray painting/wrapping - I think my best bet is to source some plastic ones locally.

Although the two toned grills are intriguing - I didn't even know they were too separate bits.

If I get a pair of black ones I can two tone both of them and see which one looks better, or just use the full black.

if you dont want to fork out the money, then all you need to do is sand off the chrome, polish using finer sandpaper and water, then leave it to dry, paint it black or whatever, clear coat it (if u want, i didnt) and put them back on. its simple as. to remove them from the body, all you need to do is just punch the |||||| area and the surround will pop out, sounds silly but it works, otherwise u can just pry the clips from behind and slide it out. same thing.

Make a CAD drawing of the original grilles and take it to a plastic moulding company, they will be able to make your up some black ones from scratch.

If you want anything moulded, you will need to invest in the tooling... a half decent tool from China for an E46 grille would be about NZ$50k, and you would need a tool for each side...

I brought a black one for the sedan and painted the tourings one as the chrome was stonechiped and starting to peel.

Came up pretty good

If you want anything moulded, you will need to invest in the tooling... a half decent tool from China for an E46 grille would be about NZ$50k, and you would need a tool for each side...

Haha, good response!

Should I fork out the big money and get some factory produced ones i.e.; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-505761611.htm

Or I found these which seem to be painted plastic ones for $40USD;

post-16999-1345596934.jpg

They also do other colours; http://sv-concepts.com/3-series/e46-1999-2...he-bmw-e46.html

Or could I just spray paint them myself?

If anyone has had any experience in replacing their OEM grills with black ones please let me know.

Car is silver with black exterior trim, and got a two tone black and grey interior trim in progress, so reckon she would look mint with some black grills.

Thanks,

Sam

I just painted mine over the weekend - they look sickaz:

Posted Image

Edited by m2geek

Sounds like the consensus is, matt black looks pretty decent. (Sorry I need to put notifications on for my threads/posts)

I found this cheap pair on Ebay for $25 AUD so might give that a go.

This way if they don't look that good I can always return them to standard - and if I ever decide to sell, I can revert back..

Off topic, but what do people think about those aftermarket screw on pedals?