Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

Cleaning engine bay

Hi guys, car is a e39 540i

After suffering an oil leak (Which is getting fixed on Wednesday) I would like to clean out all the remaining oil which is left there as after a while of driving there is a smell of burnt oil.

Which are the parts to cover up?

Wash while engine is running or disconnect battery? (Searched google and many different opinions)

I also read dish soap would work?

Any other important notes I should be aware of?

Thanks

Edited by andy_e39

Just use a can or two of brake clean/degreaser, wash that sh*t off with low pressure hose end. Obviously cover all electrical plugs/fuses that might get wet in the process.

If you want it really clean. Use above method, then get out a old tooth brush and rag and go buy some Meguairs Tar and Bug Remover.

Its a cream in a trigger bottle, spray it onto/into the tooth brush for hard to reach areas and the rag for bulk areas. It safely pull all grime and grease / oil etc out of the paint and it will look like new.

My trick for show winning engine bays revealed haha :)

Be VERY careful what brake cleaner you use - some of it strips paint (The partmaster stuff does!) and some will dissolve rubber or swell it - Not sure how that's safe for BRAKE cleaner, but it does!

Some people have advised using tyre shine spray/foam, but I've never seen it done in person.

I've always used WD40, some cloths and a fine mist spray of water to wash it off, then dry it all with some clean towels.

Works a charm, just take the precautions around electric areas.

So it would not be a good idea to use a garden hose to hose down the cleaned parts? Thanks guys :)

So it would not be a good idea to use a garden hose to hose down the cleaned parts? Thanks guys :)

Not on full blast, that would be asking for trouble.

After puting a nice layer of WD40 over the engine bay I use a fine mist and cover up the key electric bits

Its enough to let some of the WD40 run off with the dirt.

The trick then is to wipe down every inch of the engine bay with a few rags

Posted Image

Edited by Michael.

Taking the car for a drive or letting it idle for a bit is also a good way to get rid of any moisture, letting it get up to operating temp should boil anything off that's still there.

Another altenative is 1 part dynamo to 3 parts warm water put into a spray bottle.

Spray on and leave for 5 mins. Rinse of with lower pressure water.

Works well on the Ducati to remove road grime off the engine and chain oil off the swing arm. Also brought the M3 engine bay up to scratch.

PH natural and breaks down better after than most car cleaning products.