Sign in to follow this  
stlpmp

M50b20 into m3 swap fail

hey just put one of these engines from a 93 e36 320 into my 96 e36 323 m3 all the lights come on engine doesnt turn over any ideas ive done all the earths im missing the link for the gearbox to the shifter dont know if that makes the inhibiter stop it from turning over

Any help would be appreciated

Could be a lot of things

96 car has EWS-II where the 93 car probably has EWS-I..

I would have got the same size engine to replace it so you could use the vehicles stock ECU which is coded to the EWSII...

might want to go and do a heap of research.

aww heck no good umm ive put the engine harness out of the 93 into the 96 also have the computers in it too where would be a good place to research it or does anyone have some sort of price on what they would charge to come and do it for me ive got a spare set of leather an cloth seats an heaps of sets of door cards with the cloth not pulling away heaps of parts here i will be willing to pay for someone to fix it if they can do it for a reasonable price. Also own a promotional company so this could be your chance to get some photos with your car and a bunch of models if you own your own business can help with promo if you want to do it too.

also have the key and ignition that come with the new engine dont know if they got the chip in as the keys broke and just has the end if its even supposed to be in it

you need to replace the EWS module as well as the ECU and also put the chip that matches the engine into the key that operates the car. You may also have to change the antenna ring, i cant remember if i had to change that when doing the EWS on one of my other BMWs.

after all that, you may need to get the EWS aligned as well because the ECU will have got power while the module didn't, so may be out of sink.

Ive probably spent 30 or so hours researching EWS in the past, but your really too far away for me to come and help etc.

You have a few options from here

1/ Fit current setup and hope that it works properly. EWS can be a bitch to get just right.

2/ Pull the b20 and sell it and fit an M52B25 which is the engine originally in your car and go from there. you can use the original ECU, original chip original EWS module etc, the only thing to change the engine itself and leave all the original body wiring in the vehicle.

3/ Buy a 1991 M50B20 ECU and fit that. That ECU did not have any EWS at all and therefore should start up.

4/ Pay someone else stupid amounts of diagnosing fees etc to get it working.

Awesome thanks ill try 1 2 and 3 first trying to turn a $250 m3 into something for cheap so fingers crossed dont have to pay rediculous amounts of money to get it running

its not an M3 by the way. someones just stuck a badge on the back. an M3 is a totally different car to a 323i

i think the rego tag will explain its an m3 and the mpower engine sitting on the ground next to it when i picked the car up also the standard lsd in it may have given me a heads up that its a genuine m3

i may be wrong tho but i dont know if the rego sticker would lie about it cheers :)

was the old engine an M52 or an S50?

Dont know for sure he said it was a 2.5 though it just said mpower on the tappet cover and was next to the car when i brought it the guy sold engine for 4000 so im guessing its a proper m3 also has rear bumper and skirts factory fitted came with no front bumper doesnt have badge on the back but its got them on the doors someone has spent alot of time doing nolethene bushes and proper racing suspension also. Im pretty sure it is one otherwise ive kept it for no reason :(

if you put in a early m50 engine from a 93 320i i probably wont have ews , so you need to bypass the ews box starter wires.

you will see a heavy gauge wire going into the ews box (behind the glovebox) and one heavy gauge wire coming out of it.

normally black/green and green etc , joins these 2 together and it should crank over

Brent HARTGE535 you are officially my favourite person on bimmersport thanks alot started first pop :D

i think the rego tag will explain its an m3 and the mpower engine sitting on the ground next to it when i picked the car up also the standard lsd in it may have given me a heads up that its a genuine m3

Chuck the last 7 digits of the VIN number stamped on the front shock tower in the engine bay into here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

It will tell you exactly what the chassis is from the factory. Rego's are just what people call it when the car is registered to the plates.

i may be wrong tho but i dont know if the rego sticker would lie about it cheers :)

It is very easy to get the rego sticker to "lie" about what the car is, you can write any old crap down on the car details sheet and that's what goes on the sticker.

There were a lot of E36 models produced as "M-Sport" versions which had a very similar body kit to the M3s and "M" badges in the trims, etc. There was a 323i M-Sport in the UK for a while. Not M3s, but still nice cars.

Quickest way to tell is the first three letters of the VIN number Hybrid mentioned, is it "WBA...." or "WBS....."

thanks got that cleared up and it just a puss box 323i >:( kept this car for 2 years to find out its not an m3 original engine was m52

ok dreams are officialy shattered lol lest its an m sport though not an m3 weas the m3s at ive got two e36s for swap full black puffy leather interior is race suspension nolethyne bushes m3 skirts m3 rear bumper, lsd, m50b20 auto clear tailights which have been tinted clear side and front indicators. Second car is 1991 e38 318i on ac snitzer series 1s black leather and cloth interior aftermarket springs aftermarket headlights audi r8 style tinted back taillights and clear indicators will swap for a genuine 4 e36 m3 if its worth it

can throw in a m20b20 i think theyre called with manual box attatched e30 manual pedals gearstick and surround brake booster and full engine harness with computer a few other things just wana proper m3 cheers

Edited by stlpmp

You sure it even has an LSD?

yep i know that much as when its jacked up u spin one wheel and they both turn same direction used to have mpower engine in it thats y the guy thought it was an m3 also has m badges on the doors dont know how its not one someone spent alot of money pretending it was one lol

Edited by stlpmp

yep i know that much as when its jacked up u spin one wheel and they both turn same direction used to have mpower engine in it thats y the guy thought it was an m3 also has m badges on the doors dont know how its not one someone spent alot of money pretending it was one lol

Yep sounds like an LSD.

M power engine as in S50? Only M power engine that was in the E36.

dont know for sure new it was 2.5ltr but when i put in the vin 7 digits it said m52 i think its just been played around with alot its one of them could be anything cars from now on lol

pretty sure the plastic "BMW M POWER" cover fits on any M52 engine.

The blatant obvious bit is the fact the M3 has ITB's and anything else does not.

Edited by antil33t

Standard M52B25

Posted Image

S50B32 (321bhp Euro motor with ITBs, headers, billet crank, coated light wieght pistons, oil squirter, double VANOS, uprated valve train, iron block and increased compression ratio + a bunch of other stuff)

Posted Image

S50B32US where the cover probably came from. This isnt a euro m3 engine. Its out of the US m3 and is just a stroked m50 and missing a lot of the true motorsport parts etc it is 240bhp

Posted Image

yes the s50 plastic cover fits the m52 i dont think he wouldve got 4000 for a standard m52 but who knows,

have an e34 here with ac snitzer decals on the side and a full ac snizter kit on it just put the chasis number in that page i was given it says nothing about ac snitzer does this mean its not genuine

maybe someone will know better then me as ive only been playing with bmw 3 years

supposed e36 m3 last 7 digits vin number AS50804

supposed e34 ac snitzer last 7 digits vin number BC47380

Also got the e36 going first pop after linkn the two wires together on th ews module

Thanks for ya help too guys :)

supposed e36 m3 last 7 digits vin number AS50804

11/1995 E36 323i Saloon M52 Europe Right hand drive Automatic

supposed e34 ac snitzer last 7 digits vin number BC47380

10/1993 E34 520i Saloon M50 Europe Right hand drive Automatic

The ACS5 was a pretty rare car .. unfortunately lots of knock off parts where made over the time. Not saying yours is but have a look into serial numbers of the parts and compare them with gen parts on line