Sign in to follow this  
sugarfree

Looking for e39 wagon

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=527305238

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-524680665.htm

where can I get someone to do pre-purchase checks on BMW? i don't think i trust AA for this.

Let me know your comment.

Cheers.

i would go for the 530i , way better spec.

and the 3l engines proform so much better , also nicer trans

what area are you in??

what area are you in??

im in auckland, north shore area.

530 wagon is quite difficult to find. I'd rather get the motorsport one. better looking in my opinion'

im in auckland, north shore area.

530 wagon is quite difficult to find. I'd rather get the motorsport one. better looking in my opinion'

try

botany motor worx .

bm workshop

for pre purchase

Wow that msport wagon looks great! 530i performs a lot better than 525i and usually have better specs :)

try

botany motor worx .

bm workshop

for pre purchase

How much do they charge typically, if you dont mind me asking?

I suppose they can come to where the vehicle is located (within akl).

Also, would they pick electrical faults?

It's a no brainer IMO, the first one or else.

Im leaning on the 1st one too.

However, is that a reasonable price? Im not that familiar with it.

How much do they charge typically, if you dont mind me asking?

I suppose they can come to where the vehicle is located (within akl).

Also, would they pick electrical faults?

Generally you bring the vehicle to them, or arrange for the seller to take it in. On site inspections are less likely to pick up on a few things, as it is difficult to get a good look under the vehicle without a hoist or pit.

As for cost, I've heard before it can range from between $80 to just under $200, and in most cases I'd hazard a guess that you get what you pay for.

530i Motorsport mate. I'm slightly biased. :)

Just make sure all the door and tailgate seals are inspected. There is a tendency for rust around the rear hatch.

Good luck.

$16k is only a starting point. Good luck.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that the Motorsport versions do not have the rear airbag suspension. If I am right, surely that is a huge + when buying a Motorsport wagon?

You are wise to get a pre- purchase carried out on any vehicle you have an interest in. With the K's that e39 has done I would be looking for a comprehensive service record. As the E39 has a lot of plastic bits and these are prone to fail as the k's get higher to name but a few water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, raidiator, suspension arm bushes, final stage heater resistor other problems are moisture in the headlights, broken wires in the rubber duct from body to boot lid/ tail gate to name but a few. How do I know I owned a 530i Sedan for 5 years and these are some of the problems I encountered. On a positive note it was comfortable to sit in handled well and had the power when called on but if driven with care an economical car. Had a look in Carjam and Realoem.com it came up with NZ rego 30 March 2011, Japan Dec 2001, assembled May 2001. The asking price is way to high IMO it is 11 years old done 137,000km's and a few other unkown issue I have no doubt. Just a few thoughts for a prosective buyer from a previous owner all the best in you hunt.

I'd plan on spending 3K on ANY E39 after purchase, more on one I doubted. Even with a "Full Service History", the dealer only does what the owner approves, so they can still need craploads done to them, and they are a complicated car.

The suspension is GREAT, but it wears, because of the work it does. The cooling system will need an overhaul, unless it has been specified as being done, and ALL done. Vanos seals will need doing too.

I'd plan on spending 3K on ANY E39 after purchase, more on one I doubted. Even with a "Full Service History", the dealer only does what the owner approves, so they can still need craploads done to them, and they are a complicated car.

The suspension is GREAT, but it wears, because of the work it does. The cooling system will need an overhaul, unless it has been specified as being done, and ALL done. Vanos seals will need doing too.

^^^^ What he said.

I bought a 530i touring motorsport 132kms , 2nd day I had it the waterpump went, it looked as though the cooling system had all been replaced in 2010 all except the waterpump! Only a $100 part too.

Definitely go for the motorsport 530i, nicer interior with the sport seats and steering wheel, slightly lowered suspension too.

Pricewise, I think his is a bit high, maybe $13000 would be a more realistic starting point.

Actually just got a strange sense of deja-vu looking at those auction photos. So I dug out the Trademe originals of my car when I bought it, look familiar?

Same trader!

post-362-1351413778.jpg

post-362-1351413797.jpg

post-362-1351413817.jpg

what area are you in??

go for V8 if you dont mind fuel price.

go for V8 if you dont mind fuel price.

The V8's aren't actually very hungary, maybe 15% more than a 6 around town, and pretty close on the open road (in my experience anyway).

I decided to grab it. I need to get this upgrading the car as soon as i can.

Anyway, found that the abs sensors been replaced, new radiator tank (pheewww), new rear arm bushes, and few more bits& pieces. Driven it once, and it rides very comfortable. 1st bimmer, and hopefully i have good long years with it.

Now, a few problems that i couldnt seems to understand: the remote keys does nothing. 1key gives a red light blipped quickly once, but doesn't do anything. The spare one, do nothing at all. Went online to do a bit of digging on key issues. Found that mine aren't the diamond shaped, but a rounded butt end type with what seems to be 1 big button, & 1 small button (Which one is unlock & lock?). Ive red all about re-initialisation of the chip. But still not confident enough. Need someone to help me on this issue.

Next thing is driver side wing mirror couldn't be adjusted. As I adjust with the buttons, i heard the motor noises, but no movement on the mirror it self. The mirrors folding in alright, though.

Also, ive read that the region format of the radio can be adjusted. Mine is jap import. If someone can guide me through to change the region, it would be much appreciated. Car's garaged, i haven't use it since. Been using the corolla to work.

Anyway, any respond from you guys are much appreciated. Got a big learning curve ahead of me.

Cheers

I decided to grab it. I need to get this upgrading the car as soon as i can.

Anyway, found that the abs sensors been replaced, new radiator tank (pheewww), new rear arm bushes, and few more bits& pieces. Driven it once, and it rides very comfortable. 1st bimmer, and hopefully i have good long years with it.

Now, a few problems that i couldnt seems to understand: the remote keys does nothing. 1key gives a red light blipped quickly once, but doesn't do anything. The spare one, do nothing at all. Went online to do a bit of digging on key issues. Found that mine aren't the diamond shaped, but a rounded butt end type with what seems to be 1 big button, & 1 small button (Which one is unlock & lock?). Ive red all about re-initialisation of the chip. But still not confident enough. Need someone to help me on this issue.

Next thing is driver side wing mirror couldn't be adjusted. As I adjust with the buttons, i heard the motor noises, but no movement on the mirror it self. The mirrors folding in alright, though.

Also, ive read that the region format of the radio can be adjusted. Mine is jap import. If someone can guide me through to change the region, it would be much appreciated. Car's garaged, i haven't use it since. Been using the corolla to work.

Anyway, any respond from you guys are much appreciated. Got a big learning curve ahead of me.

Cheers

Hi, About the keys, they aren't synchronized with the car. The round button is the LOCK button and the rectangle one is the UNLOCK button. You can try resync your keys by:

!

Your remote key is probably IR as opposed to RF, so has exceptionally crappy range. One car length is about all it's good for and you have to aim directly at the clowns nose thing on the underside of the rear view mirror.