Sign in to follow this  
d.p.n.s

e30 racecar build (maybe street legal)

hi all

so im about to start a e30 build mainly for track days to start off but would love to do some sealed hill climbs and if i get the chance a targa down the line some time.

oh and i want it road legal.

so i picked this pile of junk up a couple of months ago.

sorry about the shitty pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

^i was going to use this ^ but will now be the parts car.

as i got my hands of this(should be able to get it down to chch early next year)

Posted Image

will be able to tell you more and get some more pics once its down here.

(some of you may now the car)

thats it for now

cheers

Edited by d.p.n.s

Mike @ Synthes old car! Will be watching this

yes its had some work done to it and will save me a lot of time and money

(and thats allways a good thing)

so after a 2600ks round trip i got it home (a framed from auck to chch lol)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so since ive had it home ive got the dash out of the parts car and stripped it out and tril fitted it

Posted Image

Posted Image

the last owner had all the mounts from the engine bay cut off and holes welded up

but i wanted to use the bmw loom from my parts car so i cut some holes and plug welded the fuse box mount back on

Posted Image

also got the engine bay sprayed

Posted Image

i have done everything in the front end including m3 lower arms,new race swaybar bushes,new swaybar links,new brake pads,front brake lines all in and run iside the car as thats where the booster is.

pulled the loom out of the parts car and cut all the crap not needed off and started to get it all in.

have just pulled the rear end out took the subframe to work and got the old bushes out

just oredred these

Posted Image

have also order new 1/4 panel skins (just around the guard lip area) and also hydalic hand brake.

so getting there

cheers

Edited by d.p.n.s

ok so the new rear panels arrived and i got the tacked inplace

Posted Image

also started to to panel work,the i,got the IS front lip on,made brakets for bumper and front falance

and managed to take 10.2 kgs out the the front bumper and falance alone.

Posted Image

last week my GSR stud converstion turned up (so much easyer for wheel changers)

Posted Image

finaly got the money together for the motor i wanted

toyota 4.0 1uz

Posted Image

Posted Image

it came with a 3sge flywheel that you can redrill to fit but im not that keen so ill just safe for a light billit one.

also came with a 5 speed but its an old g52 and that wont last long at all so ill find a stronger one befor it all goes in.

cheers

looking good will defiantly be watching, i have a r151f gearbox from a 2006 2wd hilux or altezza 6 speed box if either would suit both going cheap

looking good will defiantly be watching, i have a r151f gearbox from a 2006 2wd hilux or altezza 6 speed box if either would suit both going cheap

thanks for the offer ill keep you in mind.

Loving it, this is what I want to do when I upgrade my car, but with a sneaky turbo on it.. Hehehehe also just a quick question is lip? These easily availiable, made a huge cosmetic difference.

bushes arrived today now all back on the ground.

can go 40mm lower still in the arse

Posted Image

Posted Image

by the way havnt realy done a rundown on this sofar

so here it is

*full cage ,

*booster has been mounted inside the car with rebuilt 325i mastr cylinder

*e36 325i front hubs discs and rebuilt calipers.

*e36 coilovers with e30 camber/caster adjustable top hats.

*e36 m3 front control arms with ne bushes

*21mm swaybar with new bushes and swaybar links.

*tree house racing offset mounts

*front guards are e30 with e36 lip inserted (makes the lip 10mm higher and 15mm wider

*10mm spacers upfront and 17x8 rims.

at the rear we have

*e30 subfrmae.

*e36 ti rear control arms with e36ti discs and rebuilt calipers.

*gaz coilovers with damper ajust.

*20mm spacers and 17x8 rims.

*rear guards and been tubber and a new outer skin will be welded on.

*will be full fl bumpers and headlights

cheers

Cool project. I see you mentioned Targa, If you plan on using it in Targa be aware it will be in a category with some tough competition, would no longer be considered a classic so you would be in the top open class 2WD.

It would be a fast car though if you can control it, you would want its suspension set as compliant and forgiving as possible, this does not go hand in hand with track driving, something to keep in mind.

What brakes you running up front?

Good luck, hope to see in some events one day.

Loving it, this is what I want to do when I upgrade my car, but with a sneaky turbo on it.. Hehehehe also just a quick question is lip? These easily availiable, made a huge cosmetic difference.

i got the IS lip of bmrmad on here he makes them and posts them out and i must say its a very nice job he has done and it arrives in very good condition .

Cool project. I see you mentioned Targa, If you plan on using it in Targa be aware it will be in a category with some tough competition, would no longer be considered a classic so you would be in the top open class 2WD.

It would be a fast car though if you can control it, you would want its suspension set as compliant and forgiving as possible, this does not go hand in hand with track driving, something to keep in mind.

What brakes you running up front?

Good luck, hope to see in some events one day.

they are e36 325i front hubs discs and calipers.(just for starting out will go after market down the track)

as for targa thats a dream in the future i know it wouldnt be compeditive but i would still love to do one.

E36 M3 brakes on a light E30 with decent disks, pads and fluids would be more than capable for Targa/Rally etc, its not as hard on brakes as track driving, you need to choose a forgiving pad that will last, so many cars end up in ditches from massive lock ups.

Good to have a idea of what you want to do though, that way you build the car to suite the events.

E36 M3 brakes on a light E30 with decent disks, pads and fluids would be more than capable for Targa/Rally etc, its not as hard on brakes as track driving, you need to choose a forgiving pad that will last, so many cars end up in ditches from massive lock ups.

My E30 has standard E36 M3 brakes, stops just as good as anything else on the track, pads last forever and I don't run any cooling ducts.

so after doing some drilling i managed to get the front including

light grills,kidney grill,bumper and indicators and front panel down to 7.1 kgs.

Posted Image

the v8 fairy came last night

Posted Image

thats a big bitch

Posted Image

good old 1uz headers

1 x nice factory header

Posted Image

1x WTF factory header

Posted Image

and a quick check (fills the hole)

Posted Image

that is all

Ahh very nice, can't go too wrong with a Toyota V8.

It's good measure to overhaul the basic components, like water pump, belts and bearings before installing it (but Im sure you already knew that)

Are you using factory ECU or going for an after market one?

The main issue with those vvti stock headers will be steering arm clearance, I had less than 50mm from the cylinder head face to the stock steering arm with the position of my 1uz in the E36, it meant for some tricky custom manifolds in the end.

Ahh very nice, can't go too wrong with a Toyota V8.

It's good measure to overhaul the basic components, like water pump, belts and bearings before installing it (but Im sure you already knew that)

Are you using factory ECU or going for an after market one?

The main issue with those vvti stock headers will be steering arm clearance, I had less than 50mm from the cylinder head face to the stock steering arm with the position of my 1uz in the E36, it meant for some tricky custom manifolds in the end.

yeah all new stuff will be used incluind injector plugs as when i cleaned up and cut out all the crap i dont need from the look most plugs are stuffed.

will be running the factroy ecu for start. i have had it running on the engine stand and cleared all fault codes so it will be ready to wire up and run when its bolted in.

im going to make the headers myself .

justmoving the steering rack as far back as i can to get the motor as close to the firwall as i can.

Sweet. Sounds good.

Hah, yeah all the stock electrical plugs are usually brittle now, the majority of mine have lost their catch tabs or cracked complete, Had to replace a few!

Yeah you'd want to get it as far back as possible in an E30 frame, I should have had mine positioned a bit further back in the E36.. that said after the first set of engine mounts I made another set to lower it 15mm and bring it back 25mm.

I imagine you will be using a front sump for your setup?

Will be a nice weapon. Cant wait to see it on the track.

Some info if you don't already have it.

Fuel system in e30 Pre-fl needs external low pressure high vol lift pump into surge then high pressure low volume pump (walbro/Bosche 044 etc) to charge the stock rails enough for your injectors.

FL cars don't need this as they just need an in tank high pressure pump change out. Los of people leave this part out and hit the track and wonder why they get fuel starvation in the long corners.

Will be a nice weapon. Cant wait to see it on the track.

Some info if you don't already have it.

Fuel system in e30 Pre-fl needs external low pressure high vol lift pump into surge then high pressure low volume pump (walbro/Bosche 044 etc) to charge the stock rails enough for your injectors.

FL cars don't need this as they just need an in tank high pressure pump change out. Los of people leave this part out and hit the track and wonder why they get fuel starvation in the long corners.

i do have all the tank and pumps from my fl parts car

but will be using a fuel ceil in the boot and where the origanal tank sits under the seats will be room for 2 mufflers and side exit exhausts :unsure:

Ahh yeap. Do you know the weight of the engine ?

A fuel cell can actually cause issues with weight distribution eg when fuel level changes. It can also help mask a heavy engine however too in the handling department by getting some weight over the rear wheels.

I like the look of this! cant wait to see it in person one day!