Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 brake pad recommendations

Did a search and couldn't find anything on here... Interested in recommendations for brake pads (street) for an E39 528iA. Not sure what the current pads are on my car - they were there when I bought it - but they're a bit juddery when braking at high speed and they produce a shed load of dust.

I guess the auto's a bit harder on the brakes than a manual but these seem terrible. After spending a fortune restoring my wheels, it's a massive pain in the @ss having to clean them every week because of the sh*tty brake pads.

Any recommendations for some good low dust (presumably ceramic) pads for an E39?

I had my back pads and rotors changed when I bought my car as they were at minimum thickness, they produce bugger all dust compared to the fronts. This is understandable as the brakes are front biased, but I agree, the fronts on mine are shockers for dust. I am getting my front pads and rotors changed on Friday, hopefully for some that still stop the car but don't paint the wheels black inside of 200 kms. I'll be sure to ask what brand they are and let you k know how they go.

I'll be sure to ask what brand they are and let you k know how they go.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Check with the BM Workshop Grey Lynn spare parts. They are bringing in ATE ceramic pads. Ph: (09)3761250

Check with the BM Workshop Grey Lynn spare parts. They are bringing in ATE ceramic pads. Ph: (09)3761250

Thanks Glenn, they're just round the corner from me so I'll do that.

Cheers

Just got my car back from the workshop after having front pads and rotors changed. Had a bit of a chat to the mechanic about brake dust. The OE BMW pads have a high graphite content to keep them quiet but this makes them very dusty, the workshop I go to use an after market pad that is less prone to making dust and still retains good feel and braking properties. These pads come from Roadhouse, who are apparently a big player in after market brake pads, and they come in a reasonable amount cheaper than the dusty OE pads. I paid 120 ex GST for a front set. I don't think they use OE pads unless specifically requested to due to the amount of dust they produce.

I have only just driven them home so can't comment yet on how well they really perform, but they seem fine at first glance. As for the dust, time and more kms will tell, but off overseas tomorrow so it might be a while before I do much more driving.

Hope this is helpful and it provides a more inexpensive alternative to ceramics.

I think I have standard ATE pads in there - there's a sh*tload of dust. Every European car I've had has always been the same.

The only way to effectively eliminate dust is with a ceramic pad from what I understand. However I have been told that ceramic pads are more difficult and can be prone to making noise.

I would suggest looking on the US forums as they've got a wider range to choose from over there. With the dollar being high it's probably worth importing them and then just getting them fitted here, unless you have to replace the pads right this minute.

Thanks. I've found the same.

Done a bit of hunting around and have read a lot of good feedback for the Posiquiet ceramic pads (low dust and noise and good performance for street brakes). They also happen to be half the price of OE pads in NZ, despite international shipping costs.

Unless anyone has tried them and thinks they're rubbish, I might give them a try. At less than $200 for front and rear including shipping it seems worth taking a chance on them.

I think u should go for it. Recently bought OEM ones for dads e39 about $200 incl gst for just the rears.

might be a bit late....

but. If you want low dust.....

Axxis deluxe pads.

Slightly more bite than factory.

like freakin 80% reduction in dust.

I is like my rims bling'in..... dog.

might be a bit late....

but. If you want low dust.....

Axxis deluxe pads.

Slightly more bite than factory.

like freakin 80% reduction in dust.

I is like my rims bling'in..... dog.

Yeah, I looked at the Axxis ones too - recommended on Turner Motorsport as the best for street use (low dust, good bite, low noise, etc) but it was going to cost twice the price of the Posiquiet ones which have a tonne of good peer reviews online.

Since it's only $200 I'll try out the Posiquiet pads and if they aren't all that, I'll go for the Axxis when my bank account's flush again!

Yeah, I looked at the Axxis ones too - recommended on Turner Motorsport as the best for street use (low dust, good bite, low noise, etc) but it was going to cost twice the price of the Posiquiet ones which have a tonne of good peer reviews online.

Since it's only $200 I'll try out the Posiquiet pads and if they aren't all that, I'll go for the Axxis when my bank account's flush again!

Fair enough!

write a review on your pads once they are bedded in. Always interested in hearing opinions.

I've been through a few different compounds before I was happy with Axxis.

Fair enough!

write a review on your pads once they are bedded in. Always interested in hearing opinions.

I've been through a few different compounds before I was happy with Axxis.

Will do.

Just had the new pads installed and machined the rotors (had a bit of judder on hard braking which is now gone). They've literally only been on for a 15 minute drive back from my mechanic so it's too early to tell how good they are however, they do say they don't require bedding in. I would say they take fractionally longer to bite than the ones I had but I don't drive it that hard and if the pay off is clean wheels and zero noise (and so far all the little squeals have gone) then I'm happy and the performance was more than adequate for normal driving.

Will write up in a bit more detail when I've had longer to assess and review the noise/dust issues.

I think dust coming from front brakes seems normal. Had a sh*tload of dust coming from my front brakes of my previous 528i.

I think dust coming from front brakes seems normal. Had a sh*tload of dust coming from my front brakes of my previous 528i.

I think it's pretty normal from OE brake pads but there are low dust, low noise alternatives. Most of the low dust, ceramic pads seem to perform less well, the Posi Quiet ones I bought were cheap and had good reviews. So far they've been really good. Performance seems on a par with my original pads and they're certainly much quieter but they've not been on long enough to comment on the dust.

I guess if I was driving hard they may not perform as well as the OE brakes but that's not really my style so very happy with them so far.

So my new Posi Quiet pads have had a month or so on the car and plenty of time for me to reflect on their performance.

Posted Image

Pros:

Zero dust - I mean zero: I was cleaning the wheels on a weekly basis with the OE pads and have not needed to clean my wheels since I installed the new pads. That is a huge plus!

Low noise - definitely quieter than the OE pads I had, thought it's not a fair comparison as the rotors have been skimmed and the OE pads were pretty old, That said, these are very quiet indeed.

Smooth braking - braking is really smooth, no vibration, etc, perhaps response time is a fraction slower before they bite.

Value:

These cost NZ$180 (incl. international shipping) for front and rear - less than half the cost of the cheapest OE pads I could find in NZ.

Cons:

Performance - definitely not as tight as the OE pads but they do brake more smoothly. For an emergency stop you have to be a bit more aggressive on the brake pedal but seriously, they're more than good enough!

Unknowns:

Wet - it hasn't rained for so long that I've not had a chance to test in the wet so the jury's still out on that.

Overview:

All in all, these pads are everything I wanted - cost-effective, clean (low dust), quiet and the performance is more than adequate for my driving style. If you're a boy racer or tracking your car, they're probably not the pads you need but for general use, I can't fault them.

Edited by jeffbebe

The no dust thing is really appealing!

I'm on tank water, and like you say.;.. NO RAIN - where I am seems to get even less than town does up here.

I don't think I've washed the wheels for 2 months and they look like I've powdercoated them black...maybe I should just spray some laquer over them and be done :lol:

Thanks for the report B)

I don't think I've washed the wheels for 2 months and they look like I've powdercoated them black...maybe I should just spray some laquer over them and be done :lol:

Thanks for the report B)

:lol: Mine were the same... These are a revelation in terms of brake dust and whatever drop in performance there is it's barely noticeable if you drive like an old nana like me!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Noticed you've mentioned your new pads are slightly down on bite, just wondering if you have changed the brake fluid as well. It can make a big difference on how the brake feels. Especially if it has been a couple of years since the last change/flush.

Noticed you've mentioned your new pads are slightly down on bite, just wondering if you have changed the brake fluid as well. It can make a big difference on how the brake feels. Especially if it has been a couple of years since the last change/flush.

I've been comparing performance before and after pad change with no other changes. Didn't change the brake fluid but it was done 12 months ago.

The slight drop in response from the new pads is not entirely unexpected from what I've heard/read - it seems that low dust pads tend to come with slightly poorer performance. That said, these Posi Quiets seem an excellent balance between performance and low noise/dust.

thanks for the feedback Jeff.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with any drop in braking performance. But each to their own.

I'm happy to pay alittle more coin and probably put up with a bit more dust and use the Axxis pads I currently run.

They definitely are an improvement over OEM in all aspects.

Super happy with bite, fade resistance, pad & rotor wear rates as well as dust levels.

Nice to know you have the brakes under you when you get into a sticky situation.

thanks for the feedback Jeff.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with any drop in braking performance. But each to their own.

I'm happy to pay alittle more coin and probably put up with a bit more dust and use the Axxis pads I currently run.

They definitely are an improvement over OEM in all aspects.

Super happy with bite, fade resistance, pad & rotor wear rates as well as dust levels.

Nice to know you have the brakes under you when you get into a sticky situation.

I probably wouldn't put the Posi Quiets on an M5 either - but perfect for my 528i. No complaints.