Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

X1 for the day.

Car is in getting wof and have a loaner for day so am driving around in this , think its a 120 desiel , Don't really like it feels all plastic inside and ride is terrible lol. Plus I stick out like a sore thumb

Posted Image

Edited by M-Spec

My Mum just picked one of these up new.

It's 2l diesel as well.

From the brief drive I had I liked it. Of course, it's not a car I'd buy for myself but she's happy so whatever. I preferred the M class she had prior though.

Agreed. A friend of mine has one as part of a sponsorship arrangement with BMW. Hers is also white with plenty of signwriting on the outside - so equally conspicuous. I didn't mind the interior that much but the ride was hard - though I haven't drive one. Not a huge fan of the shape.

Edited by jeffbebe

Agreed. A friend of mine has one as part of a sponsorship arrangement with BMW. Hers is also white with plenty of signwriting on the outside - so equally conspicuous. I didn't mind the interior that much but the ride was hard - though I haven't drive one. Not a huge fan of the shape.

I agree on the shape - not my cup of tea. However, I'm probably not the ideal target market. I'd still love to take one for a drive!

I agree on the shape - not my cup of tea. However, I'm probably not the ideal target market. I'd still love to take one for a drive!

The friend that BMW supports is a shoe designer... I think you can imagine the target market.

People who wear shoes? There are a lot of us out there?

Interior quality is line with vehicles costing half as much, much like most of the modern BMW's.

People who wear shoes? There are a lot of us out there?

Fair point... But would you buy a car because the person who designed your shoes drives one? Do you even know the name of the person that designed your shoes, Graham? :mellow:

I had a team develop my exclusive foot wear, Scott Seamans, Lyndon Hanson, and George Boedecker. And they love cheap plastics, bet they all drive Toyota Prius's though.

I had a team develop my exclusive foot wear, Scott Seamans, Lyndon Hanson, and George Boedecker. And they love cheap plastics, bet they all drive Toyota Prius's though.

haha!

I dunno I would say a shoe designer would do a better job on the new designs , or perhaps the designer was from that trade to begin with. Either way driving it around town it is indeed a very hard ride and steering feels like its try turn turn a truck very heavy indeed.

As noted plastic everywhere you look , just looks crappy to me.

Interesting what you say about the ride, the one I borrowed felt very soft, and the wife said it felt a bit wallowy, but then both my F30 and her E46 have M-Sport suspension and ride quite firm (and I was pushing it a little bit in the twisties to see how it went - but I didn't tell her that :ph34r: !!)

Has this one got the M-Sport suspension on it? Or adjustable ride settings comfort / sport / sport plus?

The steering is a little heavy on xDrive versions as up until now there is no Servotronic available on RHD xDrive, but this has now changed for any cars built from March onwards..

No its missing all the bling , being a demo car it seems to be missing all the nice stuff. A quick look up of the vin shows its missing most stuff.

Much harder ride than my m spec'ed E46 , I dunno I just felt very disconnected with it due to the hard ride and heavy steering.

I've driven a few of these and for what they are it's a great daily driver for a mum or family car...they drive great and I found the ride to be fine

Only problem I have with the newer BMW is the micro second pause you get when changing radio stations...very annoying when you are radio station surfing

It's not really most people on this forum IMO, but I have driven the twin turbo 2 litre diesel version and it does pull like a train but I don't see the point of it personally, I'd rather a 3 series. Even an X3 or X5 can kind of go offroad (grass clippings, slightly gravelled driveways e.t.c) , the X1 looks as if it would have trouble on a rainy day lol!

That also isnt the LCI X1, which comes with the 8 speed gearbox and electric power steering which makes a huge differnce, also the interior feels more premium in the LCI with standard I drive and navigation business, along with some nicer materials used.

I've driven a few of these and for what they are it's a great daily driver for a mum or family car...

But so is a VW Golf or Ford Focus for half the money with more features and arguably a better drive :lol:

But so is a VW Golf or Ford Focus for half the money with more features and arguably a better drive :lol:

Yes but you have to look the part when you drop off your kids to school in the morning lol

Would have to disagree on that one (if we're talking diesels)

The twin turbo X1 2.0 drive brilliantly.

I'd rather a 3 series. Even an X3 or X5 can kind of go offroad (grass clippings, slightly gravelled driveways e.t.c) , the X1 looks as if it would have trouble on a rainy day lol!

I've done a off road 4wd course for BMW, we had multible different brands and some old jeeps and hilux and bountys etc, the best car on the day that did everything and outperformed everything else was the little old Xdrive X1 on road tyres.

When BMW make their Xdrive vehicles, they make them for Xdriving. Toyota guys weren't impressed that the X1 screamed past their Hilux (which had mud slicks) going up hill, stopped then started climbing again.

I've done a off road 4wd course for BMW, we had multible different brands and some old jeeps and hilux and bountys etc, the best car on the day that did everything and outperformed everything else was the little old Xdrive X1 on road tyres.

When BMW make their Xdrive vehicles, they make them for Xdriving. Toyota guys weren't impressed that the X1 screamed past their Hilux (which had mud slicks) going up hill, stopped then started climbing again.

im sure your not lying, but im stuggling to believe that! impressive.

Nope not a word of a lie. The Xdrive are all equipped with hill descent as well.

We were all blown away by it.

I've been daily driving our one as my car is at McMillan's. Gotta love the economy of a 2l diesel.

Drives nicely IMO, very firm, rather heavy steering but feels positive on the road.

Still wouldn't want one for myself ...