Sign in to follow this  
sweetm3

E36 Removed Headliner

Had to happen, started feeling the sag touching my semi bald head.

It took about hour to remove, no real problems with removal. Just your normal how's that clipped in place.

Did end up with one question on the driver side rear (see photo) there is a spade connector free ??

What's it connect to ???

post-2197-1362537145.jpg

post-2197-1362537174.jpg

post-2197-1362537197.jpg

Had to happen, started feeling the sag touching my semi bald head.

Count yourself lucky... My thick bouffant acts like an insect's antenna and I notice the sag way earlier than my follicly-challenged counterparts... You probably got 2 or 3 years more use from your headliner than me and other well-thatched chaps.

I keep reading about these sagging headliners and door fabric comming off but all 3 of my e36's are fine. Is it only jap assembled cars that are affected?

I keep reading about these sagging headliners and door fabric comming off but all 3 of my e36's are fine. Is it only jap assembled cars that are affected?

Mine was also totally fine until one day I was driving with the roof open and it must have caught the wind and it all came down.

It's a bit of a blow out really as replacing it with a second hand one could land you in the same situation a few months later.

I bit the bullet and had it redone by an upholsterer. PM me for deets. (Did my door cards at the same time - they were bung)

Didn't someone talk about posting a how-to for redoing the liner with new fabric? Mines just starting to poo itself now

Mine was also totally fine until one day I was driving with the roof open and it must have caught the wind and it all came down.

It's a bit of a blow out really as replacing it with a second hand one could land you in the same situation a few months later.

I bit the bullet and had it redone by an upholsterer. PM me for deets. (Did my door cards at the same time - they were bung)

PM sent

Didn't someone talk about posting a how-to for redoing the liner with new fabric? Mines just starting to poo itself now

Quite a few how tos online. Looks more time consuming than complicated.

Quite a few how tos online. Looks more time consuming than complicated.

Time consuming yes. I posted a thing a wee while back about when I did it on my friends e36, I'll try to find it. I'm going to have to do the touring at some point which is going to be alot more fun.

EDIT: Found it. Use google if you want any more info.

1) Measure headliner and go to local Spotlight or other local fabric selling store and find a colour you like. Always ask the lovely shop ladies if you don't know what type of fabric will be suitable.

2) Get some spray on glue, also usually sold at above fabric store.

3) Pick up some beer on the way home.

4) Remove all trim from the headliner; lights, sun visors, Jesus handles.

5) Drink beer.

6) Unclip the A, B and C pillar trim. You can get away with just unclip the top but go all the way if you feel the need.

7) A friend helps at the this point as you need to pull the headliner away from the roof and twist it out the door. Adjust the seats to help get it out.

8) Drink beer.

9) This the messy and long part. Peel off the fabric from the fibreglass and start to scrape off the glue. sh*t gets everywhere. Paint scraper will work fine and gloves help from getting it all over your beer.

10) Once its nice and clean, lay the fabric over the top to ensure its going to fit. Working in sections, start at one end, spraying on the glue and sticking the fabric down. Don't be afraid to go nuts with the glue. Use a ruler to keep out the air bubbles. Once complete, I suggest leaving it overnight allowing it to stick properly and you time to finish the beers.

11) Next day, cut out the holes for the lights and trim. No need to go over board with cutting as this won't be seen by anyone once its in the car. Fold the extra fabric on the edges over the back and glue it down.

12) And as they say, installation is the reverse of removal.

Unless you get the exact matching fabric, you may want to do the pillar trims and rear parcel shelf but up to you.

Edited by Gaz

Rang Grant's Auto Upholstery in Ellis Rd yesterday, to my surprise they recovered it that afternoon, including A pillars.

I installed it this morning. Not hard for one man, but it took me 3 hrs all up. Looks great.

Just to add to Gaz

If you're going to drive the car around after removal, put a drop sheet over your seats before you start and vacuum the foam roof liner when your finished other wise you get very itchy :rolleyes:

BLOODY FIBERGLASS

Edited by sweetm3

1) Measure headliner and go to local Spotlight or other local fabric selling store and find a colour you like. Always ask the lovely shop ladies if you don't know what type of fabric will be suitable.

2) Get some spray on glue, also usually sold at above fabric store.

3) Pick up some beer on the way home.

4) Remove all trim from the headliner; lights, sun visors, Jesus handles.

5) Drink beer.

6) Unclip the A, B and C pillar trim. You can get away with just unclip the top but go all the way if you feel the need.

7) A friend helps at the this point as you need to pull the headliner away from the roof and twist it out the door. Adjust the seats to help get it out.

8) Drink beer.

9) This the messy and long part. Peel off the fabric from the fibreglass and start to scrape off the glue. sh*t gets everywhere. Paint scraper will work fine and gloves help from getting it all over your beer.

10) Once its nice and clean, lay the fabric over the top to ensure its going to fit. Working in sections, start at one end, spraying on the glue and sticking the fabric down. Don't be afraid to go nuts with the glue. Use a ruler to keep out the air bubbles. Once complete, I suggest leaving it overnight allowing it to stick properly and you time to finish the beers.

11) Next day, cut out the holes for the lights and trim. No need to go over board with cutting as this won't be seen by anyone once its in the car. Fold the extra fabric on the edges over the back and glue it down.

12) And as they say, installation is the reverse of removal.

Unless you get the exact matching fabric, you may want to do the pillar trims and rear parcel shelf but up to you.

Best how-to ever :)

Rang Grant's Auto Upholstery in Ellis Rd yesterday, to my surprise they recovered it that afternoon, including A pillars.

How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

No problem, just over $200