Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Imported e39 M5 registered as a special interest vehicle in NZ?

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factshee...st-vehicles.pdf

Has anyone considered importing an e39 m5 from the UK or elsewhere? With the more stringent frontal impact laws, It seems that it wouldn't even be able to be registered as a SIV due to it not being a coupe, or convertible, although all those magazines i'm sure would say it's a collectable!!

It must only meet three of four requirements, you'd probably be okay.

You're screwed unfortunately.

I've looked into this, they don't pass the emissions test and they're not really Special Interest.

What requirements have to be met before my vehicle can be registered in New Zealand as a special interest vehicle?

Requirements that the vehicle must meet

To have a vehicle identified as a special interest vehicle, the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) must deem it to have historic value or it must meet three of the following four requirements:

1) The vehicle (or its make, model and submodel) is identified as being a collector's item in one of the following magazines or their respective websites – Australian classic car, Car and driver (US), Automobile (US), Motor (Australia), Motor trend (US), New Zealand autocar, New Zealand classic car, Road and track (US), Top gear (UK), Top gear NZ, Unique cars (Australia) or Wheels (Australia).

2) The vehicle's make and model has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less.

3) The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible.

4) The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a high-performance vehicle.

An E39 M5, might get point 1 depending on each individual magazines perspective.

The most common stat is that a total of 20,482 E39 M5s were made from 1999 to 2003 - that fails point 2.. just!

It's a 4 door sedan - Fail.

It passes point 4.

So it only gets 1, maybe 2 points out of the 3 of the 4 it requires.

I think you would have more of a chance importing a E30 M3... 850 CSI... E36 M Coupe, M1 etc...

An E39 M5, might get point 1 depending on each individual magazines perspective.

The most common stat is that a total of 20,482 E39 M5s were made from 1999 to 2003 - that fails point 2.. just!

It's a 4 door sedan - Fail.

It passes point 4.

So it only gets 1, maybe 2 points out of the 3 of the 4 it requires.

I think you would have more of a chance importing a E30 M3... 850 CSI... E36 M Coupe, M1 etc...

How is 1999-2003 annual production? Or is that the average which they take.

If it was just one year then you'd easily be able to import the last production model year of pretty much any car as they wind down the lines.

Yeah thats 20,482 over 5 years .. thats well under 20,000 annual volume.

Errr, did you not read my post?

I've talked to Leon Cast (the man at LTNZ who signs off all Special Interest Vehicles) it does not meet the requirements, nor does it pass current emissions test for any other importation categories.

2) The vehicle's make and model has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less.

The way that 2 has been interpreted includes all 5 series - not just a sub-model variant - so M5s would not meet number 2 above.

Couple of guys on the Honda forum looked into this on Type Rs - and they were told all Civics and Integras made that year are counted, not just the Type R variants.

It's the same reason that M3 CSLs will meet 1, 3 and 4 but not 2. And the reason that E46 M3s won't meet 1 but will meet the requirements of 3 and 4.

Edited by M3_Power

Errr, did you not read my post?

I've talked to Leon Cast (the man at LTNZ who signs off all Special Interest Vehicles) it does not meet the requirements, nor does it pass current emissions test for any other importation categories.

No I didn't see your post unfortunately, some spam-bot had made a post, but your post had then replaced that post. Ghost in the system..

That's a real shame, there are plenty of e39 M5's in the uk. Im sure a decent one could be landed here for 20k.

Wait a while until they get to the 20 year old mark, no worries about emissions or frontal regs, etc go for your life!

Roll on 2019 I guess...

I'm heading overseas for a few months and am tossing up whether to sell my M5 before I go. Let me know if you're interested - 99 M5 Avus Blue, mint, 136,000km, NZ New, full service, new clutch. I'd be very sorry to see her go, but may arrive home with an E60 Touring M5 instead...

Hmmm Leon Cast. Is he publicly contactable?

No he's not, all you'll get is some plonker receptionist reciting what the stuff on LTNZs website says.

I happened to know him through another source.

Jon, I don't think the 20 year rule will ever apply to these unfortunately.

I'm heading overseas for a few months and am tossing up whether to sell my M5 before I go. Let me know if you're interested - 99 M5 Avus Blue, mint, 136,000km, NZ New, full service, new clutch. I'd be very sorry to see her go, but may arrive home with an E60 Touring M5 instead...

I could be keen...are there pics on here(or somewhere else?).Assuming the OP isnt interested

I could be keen...are there pics on here(or somewhere else?).Assuming the OP isnt interested

Can't put pics up for some reason. Flick me your email and I'll send some through. Who's the OP?

Can't put pics up for some reason. Flick me your email and I'll send some through. Who's the OP?

Original poster of this thread, Breakmywindow (first name not posted, havent met him)

On the topic of SIV, I read somewhere that Autocar NZ said they'll qualify any car made as "important" because they regard any car has historically significant. That being said, it still doesn't help the M5s case as it still won't get 3 points :(

PM'd

Sucks how they don't pass emissions laws, as in Dunedin, following any 90's - early 00's (especially a Toyota or Mitsubishi) Japanese car up & down hills illustrates to me those cars should be off the road as a pose to most things European especially.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factshee...st-vehicles.pdf

Has anyone considered importing an e39 m5 from the UK or elsewhere? With the more stringent frontal impact laws, It seems that it wouldn't even be able to be registered as a SIV due to it not being a coupe, or convertible, although all those magazines i'm sure would say it's a collectable!!

I would encourage you to go further on this as I have imported an E39 M5 from the UK under SIV criterion.

Dave

You have successfully? Or you're thinking/in the process of doing it?

In the process of doing it. Car landed last week. SIV permit issued.

In the process of doing it. Car landed last week. SIV permit issued.

Interesting, what did it cost, if you don't mind me asking (excluding the cost of the car itself)?

Interesting, what did it cost, if you don't mind me asking (excluding the cost of the car itself)?

I can't give you all costs until I have been invoiced but I have quotes as follows;

Pick up of car and deliver to port GBP250

Shipping NZ$3500

Marine insurance $350

Compliance $500.

GST CIF

Rego

I can confirm costs next week.