Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Imported e39 M5 registered as a special interest vehicle in NZ?

I can't give you all costs until I have been invoiced but I have quotes as follows;

Pick up of car and deliver to port GBP250

Shipping NZ$3500

Marine insurance $350

Compliance $500.

GST CIF

Rego

I can confirm costs next week.

did you bring the car back with you or were you living in NZ the whole time?

did you bring the car back with you or were you living in NZ the whole time?

NZ citizen and have lived in NZ the whole time

NZ citizen and have lived in NZ the whole time

Guys, here are the costs I have on my M5;

Application to NZTA for SIV permit $165 or there abouts

Pick up and deliver to port UK $463

International freight $3500

Marine insurance $350

Steam clean $241.50

NZ Customs Import Port Entry

Transaction Fee $33.50

Compliance costs $469.25

MAF and delivery to compliance costs are included

All the above include GST

Plus GST on the purchase price of the car.

I went with McCullough Ltd in Auckland to handle the import process. Joe Steele (manager) was extremely helpful and I recommend them totally.

I hope this helps anyone considering importing from the UK.

Regards,Dave

Marine insurance $350

Steam clean $241.50

Transaction Fee $33.50

Compliance costs $469.25

I went with McCullough Ltd in Auckland to handle the import process. Joe Steele (manager) was extremely helpful and I recommend them totally.

Regards,Dave

Seems very reasonable. How's the car? Pics!!!!

DC3 ... do you mind explaining how you were able to be issued the SIV permit ... from reading the rules it wouldn't seem to apply, but obviously it does. Which 3 of the 4 criteria did it meet?

Seems very reasonable. How's the car? Pics!!!!

The car runs well and has a quiet engine. It's a 2003 carbon/caramel 87,000 miles and has had three owners of which one had it for eight of the ten years. For them it was a family car and shows signs of minor wear. It really needs a good machine polish, can anyone recommend someone in Auckland?

It has had the rear mufflers removed by the owner that I purchased it from which I want put back to OEM if any M5 owners want to swap.

i've tried to upload some photos without success so I'll get my son to take a look and help me.

DC3 ... do you mind explaining how you were able to be issued the SIV permit ... from reading the rules it wouldn't seem to apply, but obviously it does. Which 3 of the 4 criteria did it meet?

Initially I got advice from a car consultant at AA and he encouraged me to apply for the SIV permit on the basis that NZTA will consider cars of "desirability".

I prepared my application on the basis that the E39 M5 is rare in RHD as only 2595 were made and the fact that they are particularly rare in NZ.

Production numbers weren't a problem and neither was the performance vehicle requirement.

I found articles in the listed magazines like "Top Ten Cars" that backed up the "desirability"

I talked to the man at the compliance place and his comment was that this is why the SIV exemption exists, for guys like us.

All good,

Dave

The car runs well and has a quiet engine. It's a 2003 carbon/caramel 87,000 miles and has had three owners of which one had it for eight of the ten years. For them it was a family car and shows signs of minor wear. It really needs a good machine polish, can anyone recommend someone in Auckland?

It has had the rear mufflers removed by the owner that I purchased it from which I want put back to OEM if any M5 owners want to swap.

i've tried to upload some photos without success so I'll get my son to take a look and help me.

Can do you some OEM rear mufflers. swap maybe?

Can do you some OEM rear mufflers. swap maybe?

Ray, the seller supplied mufflers off another car but I'm missing heat shields and a couple of mounts. I thought if someone wanted to do a complete system swap it would save a few hassles. I'm open to suggestions.

Ray, the seller supplied mufflers off another car but I'm missing heat shields and a couple of mounts. I thought if someone wanted to do a complete system swap it would save a few hassles. I'm open to suggestions.

Should have all parts needed. Call when ready.

I prepared my application on the basis that the E39 M5 is rare in RHD as only 2595 were made and the fact that they are particularly rare in NZ.

Thanks for the reply Dave and congrats on the new car ...

Very surprised that the NZTA accepted the above given that they've rejected numerous Type R applications based on the same reasoning ... very strange indeed and I'd say double standard actually - as the 'model' isn't "M5" itself, but all of E39 produced in the same year - as M5s are simply considered a variant of the E39 chassis.

Interesting indeed ...

Should have all parts needed. Call when ready.

Ok, thanks Ray

Thanks Tom.

Very surprised that the NZTA accepted the above given that they've rejected numerous Type R applications based on the same reasoning ... very strange indeed and I'd say double standard actually - as the 'model' isn't "M5" itself, but all of E39 produced in the same year - as M5s are simply considered a variant of the E39 chassis.

Interesting indeed ...

Any explanation for the rejections?

Interesting indeed ...

Tom, with that logic E30 M3's wouldnt be allowed as its a E30 chassis.

Are Type R's rare?

There are plenty of Type Rs in NZ as it is and they aren't really considered a desirable collectors car in most peoples eyes which would explain why they always get rejected. NSX would be classed differently though.

Are Type R's rare?

E30 M3s are over 20 years old, so not a problem as there is an excemption for that category (or there was the last time I looked).

Do E39s have many air-bags? That is an issue I can see looming on the horizon, technically air-bags have an expiry date and they need to be replaced to comply. I don't think it has been picked up on yet by NZTA, but it has in the UK MoT testing so it will start to get 'noticed' more around the world.

Are Type R's rare?

Apart from the fact already mentioned above that E30 M3s are 20 years old, they are also exclusively LHD so come on a separate allowed LHD list.

Yes Type Rs are rare-ish (non-molested ones at least) and various magazines have mentioned it as a future collectable - the only reason it's being rejected I suspect is because it's a Honda, nothing else (following the logics given above).

There are plenty of Type Rs in NZ as it is and they aren't really considered a desirable collectors car in most peoples eyes which would explain why they always get rejected. NSX would be classed differently though.

Are you kidding me!!? Just because there are plenty of them doesn't mean they aren't a desirable collector's car - I understand the reason why many don't like Hondas, but honestly don't slag off the best 90s FWD ever made (and possibly even better than some of the best FWD made today - as shown in a recent EVO article comparing the DC2 Type R with the new Toyota 86 and Ford Focus RS - the DC2 type R trumped both cars - speaks volume I think).

NSX easily meets all 4 criteria, as it's 2 door, highly collectable (Senna developed blah blah blah), made in less than 20,000 units per year, and is a performance car.

The Integra Type R or the Civic Type R (DC2 and EK9) if following the E39 M5 interpretation would also meet all 4 - that's the point I am making, but as it stands they've rejected it under 1 , 2 and 3 (because following the logic of criterion 2, it's the full model range that's considered, and given Integras and Civics were made in 4 door variants it doesn't fullfil the requirements of being made as a 2 door - so I've been told).

Maybe I'll put in an application and see if I can get them to revisit this, it just seems wrong to me.

Edited by M3_Power

Just out of interest, how many type-r's were produced annually? (not being sacastic or anything, just a genuine curiosity)

I thought I already said this, but it's not there :-)

They may see a Civic Type R as a Civic model variant. Technically... An M5 is not the powerful version of a 520i, it's a different "model" as such. The Civic is registered as a "Civic" and type R is a variant, just like a EX or LX. A 5 series is not normally listed as "5 Series", but a 520i, 525i or M5 etc.

Another Example is the M3 - it's not a BMW 318i M3, it's a BMW M3. The M3 CSL is a variant of the M3 though.

Perhaps it is a technicality within NZTA Model naming system. BMW specifies each "variant" of the 5 series as a different/individual model.

Just out of interest, how many type-r's were produced annually? (not being sacastic or anything, just a genuine curiosity)

I have the figure stored somewhere, but it is below 20,000 per annum, except for 1996 I think (unless you count all the civics and Integras made - which is what NZTA is doing).

I thought I already said this, but it's not there :-)

They may see a Civic Type R as a Civic model variant. Technically... An M5 is not the powerful version of a 520i, it's a different "model" as such. The Civic is registered as a "Civic" and type R is a variant, just like a EX or LX. A 5 series is not normally listed as "5 Series", but a 520i, 525i or M5 etc.

Another Example is the M3 - it's not a BMW 318i M3, it's a BMW M3. The M3 CSL is a variant of the M3 though.

Perhaps it is a technicality within NZTA Model naming system. BMW specifies each "variant" of the 5 series as a different/individual model.

Sorry I must respectfully disagree with everything you've said above - perhaps also due to your lack of understanding of a "Type R" variant of a Civic or Integra. I can tell you a Type R variant of either has "MORE" difference to a standard Civic or Integra when compared to a "M" variant of a 3 series or 5 series (which is what they are - period). The Civic or Integra Type Rs are not registered as just a Civic or Integra.

The most important and telling fact is that the chassis is completely different! You don't get that in the M models (at least not the E46). Not only are some sections of the unibody chassis triple skinned (versus double or single skinned), but the welded subframe is completely different - so unlike the M cars where usually only bolt on stuff change (I am aware that some bolt on points are changed, but the basic chassis body is the same throughout the 3 or 5 series - more or less.)

The remainder of the stuff of what makes a Type R a Type R and what a M car a M is basically the same - better engine (usually hand built), different interior (Recaros in Hondas), different sway bar, suspension, exhaust and the list goes on - but the underlying principle is the same between the two - they are performance variants of a model line up, not a seprate model in terms of NZTA's interpretation or should I actually say biased interpretation.

The M cars are just a model variation of a 3 or 5 series ... or in current days, also the X5 and X6 - but they are still just a model variant, much like a Type R.

Edited by M3_Power

Marine insurance $350

Steam clean $241.50

Transaction Fee $33.50

Compliance costs $469.25

Regards,Dave

Hi Dave, with regards to newer cars, is this the price someone would pay bar the SIV fee?

Cheers.

Sorry I must respectfully disagree with everything you've said above - perhaps also due to your lack of understanding of a "Type R" variant of a Civic or Integra.

Uh-huh. Or you could read what I actually wrote.

I never claimed I thought it was any different to the 5 series scenario.

You have no idea of my understanding of a "Type R" variant.

What I actually said was "They may see a Civic Type R as a Civic model variant" which as far as rego papers go, it is.

I'm not talking about what *I* think, I'm saying what NZTA might think.

Anything technical about the cars is irellevant, I'm theorising about the NZTA systems and a possible shortcoming leading to the discrepancy that a lot of this thread is about.

A car registered as "Honda Civic Type R" is a Civic on it's rego - it's written there plain as day, that could be their "reason" for lumping it in with all civics. The Make is Honda, the Model is Civic Type R. To a pleb, it's a Civic.

A car registered as "BMW M5" is NOT a "5 series" on it's rego. The Make is BMW, the model is M5. It may be considered a stand alone model, as that's what it is on paper. A car registered as a BMW 525i is a different model on it's rego, only the Make is common.

Uh-huh. Or you could read what I actually wrote.

I never claimed I thought it was any different to the 5 series scenario.

What I actually said was "They may see a Civic Type R as a Civic model variant" which as far as rego papers go, it is.

My bad Allan, my mistake!! I should have read what you wrote a little more carefully!! That actually makes complete sense and I am suspecting what you are saying may in fact be how it has been applied. Interesting perspective. Thanks.

Edited by M3_Power

I could be, and often am way off base, and this is not my area of experise at all but could it have something to with the fact that M cars have WBS (BMW Motorsport AG) as the manufacturer VIN code whereas your regular 5 series would have WBA (BMW AG) as the manufacturer code. They might treat M5s (and other M cars) as being made by a different manufacturer than other non-M BMWs.

Though I think that the last M5 that was hand built on a separate line was the E34.

Not sure how this would apply to the Type R question.

Edited by tmase

Hi Dave, with regards to newer cars, is this the price someone would pay bar the SIV fee?

Cheers.

Hi Clinton, Yes, all costs to me are there except the cost of the car and the gst on the cost of the car.

Hope this helps,

Dave