Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Stripping spray paint off e39 wood interior trims

The previous owner of my e39 m5 has gone and spray painted over the wood trims. What would be good for removing this paint without damaging the coating over the veneer?

I'd be inclined to just sand it down, go finer in paper grades once you get to the lacquer coat and go over it all evenly, then polish it up again. (trick is not to sand too much and go through it to the wood veneer)

Takes a bit of effort but it would come up like new - chances are even if you got the paint off the original lacquer would be somewhat discolored etc.

e39 m5s didnt come with wood trim did they.

have some good wood trims if needed

e39 m5s didnt come with wood trim did they.

Yes, particularly older models.

have some good wood trims if needed

I'd recommend replacing. Shouldn't be too expensive. I just sold a full set of wood trim (slightly faded but in otherwise perfect nick) for $50. If you don't like the wood it shouldn't be too hard to find an brushed ali finish.

What M5 did you buy?

The issue I have is that it'll be very hard to find a matching wood trim for the rear centre console as they are a rare option.

The wood trim isn't the standard vavona in the M5 it's some other type that i'm trying to find part numbers for, so unless I can find replacement trims to match the front and rear centre console trims, I have to try my best to remove the spray paint..

The issue I have is that it'll be very hard to find a matching wood trim for the rear centre console as they are a rare option.

The wood trim isn't the standard vavona in the M5 it's some other type that i'm trying to find part numbers for, so unless I can find replacement trims to match the front and rear centre console trims, I have to try my best to remove the spray paint..

I had nussbaum in mine. There is also a light golden wood (forget the name) try eBay. They tend to have a pretty wide range and plenty of them will ship internationally.

Pick a colour, and paint the whole lot, including the rear console.

That way you don't have wood.

A mate of mine painted his body colour (Orient Blue? Montreal Blue?) and it looks really smart - wouldn't work for all colours though.

had a 2001 530i in with a ligter wood trim

post-279-1368601988.jpg

Trim is called BRUYERE CLUB, if any one has some? Need the dash trims (Car has TPC so need the trim with the hole in it for the button) and 4 door trims. cheers!

Try prepsol (Wax and grease remover), it works real well if it was only spray can paint used. Dab some on a cloth and rub away and it should come right off eventually.

Find out the cost of another set of trims and let me know. I could probably get your original trims looking brand new for less (including postage)

Find out the cost of another set of trims and let me know. I could probably get your original trims looking brand new for less (including postage)

Tried PM'ing ya, but your inbox is full :-S

also try resene no4 thinners [note other thinners are available]