Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

weak moment leading to a very strong sounding exhaust. i approve.

I'd say I watched that 3 times.. But the last 2 times I had my eyes closed. Music to my ears.

Nice. :) Agreed on the muffler painting.

• Like 1

Time for some interior restoration.

The PO painted over the wood trims with matt black paint. Last year I had removed the paint and polished the trims however the deep sanding marks made the trims look a bit dull. Some trims were also sun damaged and cracked.

Ex UK I found a set of Bruyere club wood trims from an e39 M5 in excellent condition, no cracks and some very minor scratches that a wet sand and polishing session will bring up like new.

Starting with the ash tray cover, i used 1000, 1200, 1500 and then 2000 wet sandpaper. Polished with Meg's scratch x. The Clear coat is quite hard on the wood trims but also quite thick which leaves a good margin before you start sanding in to the wood.

post-1689-0-35752900-1436921036_thumb.jp

Will need a few hours for the rest :

post-1689-0-32413000-1436921061_thumb.jp

• Like 4

It's going to look beautiful when done. Worth all the hard work.

If you dont feel like hand polishing all those then you can drop round at my place in Manurewa and I can put the buffer on them with meguiars 105, its their commercial ultra cut compound. Just hit them with 1200 and 2000 first, if your not sanding with finger tips m105 will take out 1200 grit scratches quickly anyway.

Edited by andrewm
  • Like 2

Nice work Martin. I've got a pile of wood trims to do for my Soarers but its rather tedious work I keep putting off.

BUT, the results will be worth it.

Perhaps we should have a group day of wood polishing?

Nice work Martin. I've got a pile of wood trims to do for my Soarers but its rather tedious work I keep putting off.

Group wood polishing has implications...

Sorry fellas, strictly Vagiterian.

If you dont feel like hand polishing all those then you can drop round at my place in Manurewa and I can put the buffer on them with meguiars 105, its their commercial ultra cut compound. Just hit them with 1200 and 2000 first, if your not sanding with finger tips m105 will take out 1200 grit scratches quickly anyway.

Will PM ya.

I think it's ok as long as you dont stand in a circle, or polish anyone elses?

• Like 2

Wood polishing is looking good! Would love to see some more pics of this, I've got some eighties Mercedes trim to do.

Don't worry about going down to the wood, if the scratches are really bad, you could go as low as 280 grit before heading back up the scale, normally for teak we start laying coats of varnish down again once we get to up 320 and the sky is the limit from there really.

+1 on using a machine to buff it. In addition to the Meguiars mentioned, you could use Farecla Profile 500 liquid compound and then Profile Glaze.

At last the collection of underneath bits is complete. The clutch & flywheel took nearly 4 months to arrive ex USA via kiwishipping. The nzd was a lot stronger back then so buying this lot now wouldn't be as fun.

Major surgery carried out next week including :

- clutch

- flywheel

- rear main seal

- driveshaft guibo and centre bearing

- engine & trans mounts

- new exhaust fasterners and mountings

- gear shifter rebuild with all new bushings and fittings.

post-1689-0-86785400-1438463889_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Sweet! When do you want to do the engine mounts and valve cover?

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Drive train refresh completed!

Had a wee issue with the 02 sensors being plugged in to each other after the job was done. This caused the DME to think the fuel tank is low on fuel which resulted in limp mode. Weird.

Now to not thrash it while the clutch breaks in..

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 4

Did you do the drivetrain refresh at home Martin? Wood trim looks great. When's the Eisenmann due? I'm definitely checking in for that...

Nah,got a mate to do this work.

Have emailed schmiedmann...apparently 30 working day wait but it's been 2 months nearly!

So after being mucked around with Schmiedmann (974USD vs original 102USD) price for shipping of the Eisenmann back boxes, I've found another dealer in the UK that I've now placed an order with. The 2 month wait begins all over again....

• Like 2

So after being mucked around with Schmiedmann (974USD vs original 102USD) price for shipping of the Eisenmann back boxes, I've found another dealer in the UK that I've now placed an order with. The 2 month wait begins all over again....

What, they were going to charge $974 USD for shipping alone over quoting $102 USD originally?

Yeah.

They emailed me months ago advising shipping price would increase. To which i replied how much..

I never received a reply, so i emailed again. They finally replied saying they hadn't placed the order because they didn't see the reply. They then advised the inflated shipping price. To which i replied with an electronic 'middle finger'.

• Like 2

Polished up the wood trims and installed a new Z4m illuminated shifter knob. The extra weight in the shifter knob gives it a bit more of a solid feel, but not as bolt action rifle like as the old ebay short shift kit installed by the po.

Clutch is now pretty much broken in. No more squeaky clutch pedal which is also a bonus.

I have a full set of spare trims that I'm thinking about painting gloss black with a polished finish...

post-1689-0-07674200-1439946786_thumb.jp

post-1689-0-47137800-1439946800_thumb.jp

• Like 8

Do it shadow chrome... would look boss as.

You could do two coats of matte black 1 coat of clear coat then thin bbs silver top coat with another clear to finish for maximum 3d apparence.

Had some spare time over the weekend and decided to investigate a rattle and squeak coming from the RF wheel. Suspected Brake caliper and pad issues. Upon taking the wheel off there was a bit of play on the caliper and a pronounced rattle as the caliper was wiggled.

First problem, who ever did the brake job last lubed the Guide pins. Big no no according to TIS.

post-1689-0-65090700-1441750251_thumb.jp

Cleaned.

post-1689-0-19939800-1441750299_thumb.jp

Caliper bracket cleaned and re-lubed with anti-squeal.

post-1689-0-57193800-1441750348_thumb.jp

Found some tar stuck on the piston, cleaned and lubed the piston to pad contact surface along with the other areas as per TIS.

post-1689-0-11843400-1441750454_thumb.jp

Brake pads look to be after market items. Cleaned up and lubed with anti squeal.

post-1689-0-01767300-1441750520_thumb.jp

I also measured the disc thickness in 5 different places. All areas within spec so I'll be throwing a set of OEM pads along with new guide pin bushes in the near future.

Took the car for a spin afterwards, no more rattle or squeals. Job done!

• Like 4