Sign in to follow this  
340i

Airbagged lay flat trailer

Hey Nick, Been following the build for a long time. Didn't know you had an account on here tho =D

That's a pretty sweet Trailer dude! And mini truck. Mine was ment to be a quick tidy up to but got abit out of control but nowhere near as yours!! Good sh*t

Also been following for ages, so badass

link to build thread of trailer / ute?

is that a rear mounted turbo v8 with irs?

seen in real life when you were at hardpark in lower hutt, these pictures dont even begin to show the work you have put into both your mini truck and the trailer!

cheers for the kind words guys.

to answer the questions, 5amchris, it doesn't feel like that long but the screen is telling me i've been a member since 07! I started building the e21 a decade ago when i was 18 and although i got it running and drove it a few times, i kept changing things on it and never got to the finished or cert stage. when i do rebuild it it'll be way different to previous states it been in. Other than trends and my taste in mods changing, the quality level of some of the mods i did back in the day make me cringe now. ie. too much fibreglass and bog etc haha. i did a stanceworks build thread of it a few years ago that has some pics and video links, if anyone is interested: http://ns1.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16682

euroriffic, got a build thread for yours? i'm keen to check it out.

polley, yip that's correct, v8+turbo. its still under construction though. there's no build thread for the trailer.

Edited by 340i

Havn't got a thread on it as of yet but will make something up tonight if I get a chance. Won't be anywhere near as big as yours tho

Ah yes I saw your build on youtube I think.

Are you still going to use the chassis frame as an air tank reservoir? I thought that was quite inventive.

Looks nice - awesome design.

One of my mates is building something along the same lines (bagged trailer anyway) to carry his E21 B)

Ah yes I saw your build on youtube I think.

Are you still going to use the chassis frame as an air tank reservoir? I thought that was quite inventive.

yes that's correct, but just the two main rails. they're 100x100x5, so hold a good amount of air. the main reason for doing it was because there's not really anywhere to mount air tanks externally without being an eyesore. on the plus side, spec'ing the rails up to hold pressure means i've got a stronger chassis (cert requirement is 75x50x3), and the weight isn't much different to if i ran external 'regular' type tanks.

Looks nice - awesome design.

One of my mates is building something along the same lines (bagged trailer anyway) to carry his E21 B)

i'd be keen to see how he goes with his trailer, so if you could post pics when its done please, that'd be awesome

Really good idea man, I'd say there will be a few in the hotrod / race / classic / drag scene that would be interested too. Good to see kiwi ingenuity is still alive and well! :)

Really good idea man, I'd say there will be a few in the hotrod / race / classic / drag/ motorcycle scene that would be interested too. Good to see kiwi ingenuity is still alive and well! :)

fixt

With having a pivot point on each of the wheels. Would there be any alignment issues?

Does the trailer have much roll in the corners?

With having a pivot point on each of the wheels. Would there be any alignment issues?

Does the trailer have much roll in the corners?

i've just set it up so the wheels are always pointing straight forward, and it seems to be great so far. not much roll in corners, the good thing about the bags is that the more weight you put on them, the stiffer they are, and therefore less roll you'll get. when its unloaded, they're nice and soft, so doesn't bang along the road at every bump, yet won't roll in corners because there's no weight on it.

I just came here to say,

f**k that is cool.

i've just set it up so the wheels are always pointing straight forward, and it seems to be great so far. not much roll in corners, the good thing about the bags is that the more weight you put on them, the stiffer they are, and therefore less roll you'll get. when its unloaded, they're nice and soft, so doesn't bang along the road at every bump, yet won't roll in corners because there's no weight on it.

Sounds good. Just wish I had the spare funds for something like this. My E34 race car is not even that low. But such a pain in the ass to load onto the shitty Hirepool trailers. One day.

Edited by driftit

Saw this at the Speedshow on Sunday. Engineering on this looks awesome, can definitely see a market for these!