Sign in to follow this  
qube

E39 m5 Avus blue $30k

The worlds worst pics lol

One day........................

Avus Blue is the best m5 colour imo & this looks like a goodie albeit just a litte overpriced???

Agree. Great color, price seems reasonable considering there's no other e39 m5 on the market.. Whether someone is willing to pay this price is a different story..

God I want this :D

Been on and off TradeMe for a while that car.

Yep, so the market has decided it's probably not worth the punt at $30K. Great car but huge potential for becoming a $40-50K car very quickly at that price.

Yep, so the market has decided it's probably not worth the punt at $30K. Great car but huge potential for becoming a $40-50K car very quickly at that price.

please explain.I think 30 k is the upper limit for e 39 m5 now esp a pre facelift one.Why cant someone who has the resources to buy and run a bloody expensive car not take some decent pics

please explain.I think 30 k is the upper limit for e 39 m5 now esp a pre facelift one.Why cant someone who has the resources to buy and run a bloody expensive car not take some decent pics

As Phil pointed out it's been for sale on and off on TM at the same price for quite a while and, in fact, I remember when it was on by the previous owner also for around $30K. The market determines the value of a used car and the market hasn't gone for this one.

It's not the kind of car you'd spend a couple of grand patching up so it runs, you'd want to properly restore it and having done that on an E39 528 and started a second E39, I can tell you it's not cheap. With M5 parts being considerably dearer than standard models you'd be looking at $10-20K, depending on the condition of the engine, I reckon. Less if you can do all the work yourself, of course, but parts are still going to be seriously expensive.

Whats to say it even needs engine work? I cant see any reason why you couldnt just buy that and enjoy it as is?

What do you know about that car that we dont? :blink:

If you have $30k to spend on an e39 M5 then you have $10k to spend on it making it mint. Even if its already mint, its not. You'll find stuff. So it will be a $40k car.

Wicked car.

Suggesting that this car needs money spent on it is a little frivolous; at 145km I imagine it is in excellent condition as the advert states.

Not much point in forking out right now to renew paint, trim etc when the 8% wear that items may have is patina that a car will always attain, not detrimental wear. Unless it is to go in a museum, spending 10 or 20k would be money down the drain when spent on a sound, driven car.

At 145K, it may have it's original suspension, which is likely to be rooted. E39's do eat suspension, and Ideally the whole lot should be rebuilt together, as one worn part can lead to other parts taking more stress etc. The M5's suffer from Vanos problems too, sometimes.

A 14 year old car may require cooling system parts, seals/gaskets, window surrounds, lock actuators, drivers door seal, brakes, belts/tensioners, power steering hoses, dash pixels, etc.

The Generic E39 bits are OK, but some of the M5 specific stuff can be a bit eye watering! The cooling system bits don't suffer from the same heat stress either, as they only have 87C thermostas, instead of running well into the 90's + on the I6 and even higher on the "pleb" V8's ( ;) ).

I'd love an E39 M5, but am WAY to tight to buy one or part with the cash for the parts :lol:

Just about any "everyday" E39 probably requires 2-3K spent on parts just to bring them up to scratch mechanically, unless it's owned by someone who knows what they're doing, AND is willing to spend the money to maintain it (NOT common!).

Edit: If I did buy an E39 M5, I'd want to put standard bumpers and a hidden exhaust etc on it, just to be a bit Wolf in sheeps clothing B)

Edited by Allanw

As Phil pointed out it's been for sale on and off on TM at the same price for quite a while and, in fact, I remember when it was on by the previous owner also for around $30K. The market determines the value of a used car and the market hasn't gone for this one.

It's not the kind of car you'd spend a couple of grand patching up so it runs, you'd want to properly restore it and having done that on an E39 528 and started a second E39, I can tell you it's not cheap. With M5 parts being considerably dearer than standard models you'd be looking at $10-20K, depending on the condition of the engine, I reckon. Less if you can do all the work yourself, of course, but parts are still going to be seriously expensive.

ahh i see i was thinking you were talking the other way around!I agree totally

At 145K, it may have it's original suspension, which is likely to be rooted. E39's do eat suspension, and Ideally the whole lot should be rebuilt together, as one worn part can lead to other parts taking more stress etc. The M5's suffer from Vanos problems too, sometimes.

A 14 year old car may require cooling system parts, seals/gaskets, window surrounds, lock actuators, drivers door seal, brakes, belts/tensioners, power steering hoses, dash pixels, etc.

The Generic E39 bits are OK, but some of the M5 specific stuff can be a bit eye watering! The cooling system bits don't suffer from the same heat stress either, as they only have 87C thermostas, instead of running well into the 90's + on the I6 and even higher on the "pleb" V8's ( ;) ).

I'd love an E39 M5, but am WAY to tight to buy one or part with the cash for the parts :lol:

Just about any "everyday" E39 probably requires 2-3K spent on parts just to bring them up to scratch mechanically, unless it's owned by someone who knows what they're doing, AND is willing to spend the money to maintain it (NOT common!).

Edit: If I did buy an E39 M5, I'd want to put standard bumpers and a hidden exhaust etc on it, just to be a bit Wolf in sheeps clothing B)

They actually run a lot cooler then that. The thermostat is set to open at 79deg C. I havn't seen the temp go passed 89deg. Summer may be a different story however.

This is a board members car. It's a fantastic example, but it was a out of my price range.

DIY on these cars can be a pig. Especially engine work. There is a large following in the USA though, so parts are not eye-watering expensive. (i.e Thermostat is $40USD vs $200+ NZD via BMWnz) And there is plenty of good diy info out there.

My M5 is an identical spec to this (or at least it was). It now has retrofitted Bluetooth, 16:9 bordmonitor and VM, MK4 Nav, Rev camera etc. it looks to me like the trim inserts of this car have been painted / wrapped - they should be wood trim.

I saw this car in the flesh at Hampton Downs BMW Festival a year or two ago. It was in pretty good condition. I think mine is a bit better although it's done more kms.

I've had mine for 5 years or so. The amount of mis-information out there about these cars is amazing. Generally it's people with no first hand experience who blow the trumpet about how unreliable (ie VANOS) they are and how expensive they are to run / maintain - never been able to work this out but always suspected it was their way of justifying buying a lesser (ie non "M") car. Maybe I've been lucky but mine has cost me less than my wife's Octavia vRS in servicing / maintenance over the same period.

DIY on these cars can be a pig. Especially engine work. There is a large following in the USA though, so parts are not eye-watering expensive. (i.e Thermostat is $40USD vs $200+ NZD via BMWnz) And there is plenty of good diy info out there.

The amount of mis-information out there about these cars is amazing. Generally it's people with no first hand experience who blow the trumpet about how unreliable (ie VANOS) they are and how expensive they are to run / maintain - never been able to work this out but always suspected it was their way of justifying buying a lesser (ie non "M") car. Maybe I've been lucky but mine has cost me less than my wife's Octavia vRS in servicing / maintenance over the same period.

Actually, so far no one has said they are unreliable. Many of the parts are the same as run of the mill E39's, however, there are also a number of M5 specific parts. Some of the specific parts can be very expensive.

There's no point going into these things with blinkers on - IF someone has a Vanos failure, it can be VERY expensive. While it isn't a "common" problem, it pays to be aware, in case it happens! Just like the E46 M3 rod bearings, M52tu and M54 DISA valve failures, the Vanos seals issues, cooling systems etc.

As I said, an "everyday" E39 can require a lot of money spent anyway.