Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

I bought a 8 million year old grandfather clock

Seen this on TradeMe (below) and couldn't help myself, picked it up for $3750, has a few issues (little things) and was in Waimate which is about 2 hours from Dunedin. Went up at 7pm to pick it up and the bloody thing decided to snap it's fan belt which drives the waterpump and alternator about an hour away from home. Because it was like -3 outside the car actually never overheated but we ran out of electricity just as we got to Dunedin so I had to leave it on the side of the road! Not a good start, but it had been owned by a boy who just hadn't looked after it.

First thing, replaced the heater taps, coolant hoses & all belts the next day, and put in a new battery just to get it driveworthy. It's had a about a 3" exhaust all the way through and headers installed and it has to be one of the greatest sounding V8's I've had, better than the VR ute I have and better than the CLK-55AMG that I used to have.

Question; I have to push a button on the remote to disarm the car, then I have to push another button on a different remote to liven up the ignition. This is a collosal pain in the ass, I don't want any imobilizer on it, I just want to be able to jump in and drive, the car will always be garaged/car ported and we never leave any of our cars on the street or in town anywhere. Can all this sh*t bar the remote locking be ripped out and put back to factory?

I'm then going to get all the points, spark plugs, and a full on service with every fluid replaced, gilmer drive belts/pulleys installed, it's then down to the painters to get the front/rear bumpers sorted and painted up, then finally to the groomers to get 21 years worth of grime/shite/smell out. Finally, it's going to be off to the installer guys to have a clean bluetooth hands free headunit installed with 4 new speakers.

Posted Image

HAHA, you're a bogan deep down aren't ya ( i can't talk, i just picked up a '99 VS SII Statesman. Took it for a trip last week up to Ohope, Whitianga & Coromandel, such a luxo barge i was bored sh1tless driving it haha)

I wouldn't bother with the Gilmer drive mate, they have a habit of running alternator and water pump bearings. For some reason they NEVER fit the 5.0lt properly. Have a couple of mates in oz who've resorted to machining their own brackets to get everything lined up perfectly (one of them even had a bottom pulley plucked off because of alignment issues)

But being a bogan myself i fully understand you wanting to put them on hehehe.

Awesome! Looks bloody cool, sounds like a small but fun project!

Haha, looks like a bit of fun.

Post a clip of how the exhaust sounds if you can. Please..... :)

Is it manual?

Ive always liked the look of them but the few auto ones ive been in and driven(3.8 and 5.0's) had nothing on the E34 sorry but im sure they would respond well to some bolts on and a good tune?.

Haha, looks like a bit of fun.

Post a clip of how the exhaust sounds if you can. Please..... :)

Done with my phone sorry which doesn't appear to record very good sound. The real sound is quite deep and shakes the windows when I come down the driveway!

Is it manual?

Ive always liked the look of them but the few auto ones ive been in and driven(3.8 and 5.0's) had nothing on the E34 sorry but im sure they would respond well to some bolts on and a good tune?.

By no means are they quick at all, the technology is only familiar to any 19th century industralist, that takes care of it only being 165kw and 165 tonnes lol.

I don't buy these old things for speed, it's more the sounds & looks for me. This one is an auto, manuals of this era are like trying to drive Massey Ferguson tractors & changing gears is like stirring coal in my coal bucket.

Bros is gunna give you assholes when he sees you! Next time your up Im sure Il hear you comming if you bring it! Regards to your alarm you can rip it all out bar what you want, go see my mate Phil at installer services, he'l sort you out.

Bros is gunna give you assholes when he sees you! Next time your up Im sure Il hear you comming if you bring it! Regards to your alarm you can rip it all out bar what you want, go see my mate Phil at installer services, he'l sort you out.

We used installer services about 8 years ago to kit out a brand new Mazda 6 when I first started in business, they were a handful to deal with and quite un-reliable, the same crew? Are they gonna do me a deal if I know you lol?

Nah that guy was an absolute retard and ran the business into the ground, so the franchisers made him sell it and my mate who was working for him at the time brought it. Yea if you say I sent you he'l probably do you a cash deal

the bloody thing decided to snap it's fan belt which drives the waterpump

That'll be cause you tried to take Waimate water out of Waimate :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

You should know better being a South Islander .........

..... there is something in the water in Waimate ......... :blink:

That'll be cause you tried to take Waimate water out of Waimate :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

You should know better being a South Islander .........

..... there is something in the water in Waimate ......... :blink:

We have a crib about 40kms from there and yeah, they should have put a fence around it to keep them in. If you go there for the supermarket e.t.c everyone stares at you, if NZ was making a Deliverance film, it would have to be there, it's a very wierd place.

Can all this sh*t bar the remote locking be ripped out and put back to factory?

Finally, it's going to be off to the installer guys to have a clean bluetooth hands free headunit installed with 4 new speakers.

get the same installer guys to fix the alarm(s) then

Edited by kiwi535

Went & seen him Justin, the start up procedure even baffled him, booked in for Thursday, then off to the mechanics all next week, should have bought a Ford Belicose...

Hope he's Lookin after ya, and yes, should of brought a ford :D

We used installer services about 8 years ago to kit out a brand new Mazda 6 when I first started in business, they were a handful to deal with and quite un-reliable, the same crew? Are they gonna do me a deal if I know you lol?

Yeah i had the same trouble with these guys, they damaged a turbo timer, blew fuses and didn't replace them and pissed me around quite a bit but i have also heard they are better now, prob still wouldn't use them though... Guy should of changed the name, i know they have a pretty bad rep in car club circles down here.

He can't change the name as it's a franchise so they're all over the country. I'd give them/ Phil a shot. He's good at what he does, does alot of car yard work and has had afew exotics in, db9, ferarri, Porsche, range rovers, zr6 vette from what I remember seeing, and plenty Of old classics So if they can trust him and be return customers im sure he can sort ya out no worries.

By no means are they quick at all, the technology is only familiar to any 19th century industralist, that takes care of it only being 165kw and 165 tonnes lol.

That power figure is hilarious - 165Kw out of 5.0ltrs of V8 pig-iron :blink: They were so proud of some of these power figures they even put stickers all over the car with the numbers on - crazy.

You are right though Clinton they do make a very nice noise - maybe that is where the engineers went wrong, they went for making noise rather than making power??

That power figure is hilarious - 165Kw out of 5.0ltrs of V8 pig-iron :blink: They were so proud of some of these power figures they even put stickers all over the car with the numbers on - crazy.

You are right though Clinton they do make a very nice noise - maybe that is where the engineers went wrong, they went for making noise rather than making power??

Yeah, but we kinda have to remember that that engine was designed in the 80's lol - but definitely not ok to be using it up until around the year 2000 haha!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Yeah, but we kinda have to remember that that engine was designed in the 80's

Ahh umm...........................1969 they started using it, so designed loooong before that haha.

Never liked the sound of the Holden V8 (253 - 308 - 304) They have an odd ball firing order and without a X pipe in the system the sound like arse.

Edited by bellicose

Ahh umm...........................1969 they started using it, so designed loooong before that haha.

Never liked the sound of the Holden V8 (253 - 308 - 304) They have an odd ball firing order and without a X pipe in the system the sound like arse.

In that form (EFI) it was the 80's Injection is always going to make things sound different & in this case, this car sounds pretty damned good IMO. 253??? Dear o dear!

twofiveflea.

Do a skid bro, that's what these cars are good at, smoking tyres and making noises, gets all the bitches wet.

In that form (EFI) it was the 80's Injection is always going to make things sound different & in this case, this car sounds pretty damned good IMO. 253??? Dear o dear!

Yes the EFI was introduced in the VL SS GRP A SV in '88, but you said "Yeah, but we kinda have to remember that that engine was designed in the 80's", i corrected you in saying 1969, which is in fact when Holden started using that design of V8 in the 253 capacity, then upped it to 308 and then bought it down to 304 to fit under the then current GRP A touring car reg's.

Also the EFI makes NO difference to the sound of those V8s because as i said they have an odd firing order.

Ya seem a little defensive in ya answers but oh well.

Then again, what would i know, 45 years old, bought my first HQ at 14 and had 110 Holdens of various models since.

/ input.

Walk in. See Holden. Walk out. No offence.

Posted Image

Yes the EFI was introduced in the VL SS GRP A SV in '88, but you said "Yeah, but we kinda have to remember that that engine was designed in the 80's", i corrected you in saying 1969, which is in fact when Holden started using that design of V8 in the 253 capacity, then upped it to 308 and then bought it down to 304 to fit under the then current GRP A touring car reg's.

Also the EFI makes NO difference to the sound of those V8s because as i said they have an odd firing order.

Ya seem a little defensive in ya answers but oh well.

Then again, what would i know, 45 years old, bought my first HQ at 14 and had 110 Holdens of various models since.

/ input.

You're doing it wrong Belicose, no offence, sorry if I came off as such, it's just the way we roll down here ha. But what I meant really is that in it's "current form 5.0 304ci V8" has been around since the 80's

twofiveflea.

Do a skid bro, that's what these cars are good at, smoking tyres and making noises, gets all the bitches wet.

There was a documentary on Top Gear about this (skids, donuts e.t.c) whilst girls were watching and the results were inconclusive...

Edited by The Diesel Guy