Sign in to follow this  
LsBeema

Japanese import assembly

Hi.does anyone know if the bmws that come from japan are assembled there or imported from germany.hav heard some wags :unsure: ,but like to know.thanks. jase

BMW's are assembled all over the world in many factories, X3, X5, X6, X5M and X6M are built in America for example.

Some Japanese imports will have market specific features fitted but will come from the same factory as a NZ new car, your E39 is built in the same factory as a NZ new car.

At the old age your car is now I would not be concerned about where it was built but how it has been maintained, when they were putting it together for Japan 15 years ago they were most likely not thinking about how the boot catch would be working in NZ many years later.

BMW's are assembled all over the world in many factories, X3, X5, X6, X5M and X6M are built in America for example.

Some Japanese imports will have market specific features fitted but will come from the same factory as a NZ new car, your E39 is built in the same factory as a NZ new car.

At the old age your car is now I would not be concerned about where it was built but how it has been maintained, when they were putting it together for Japan 15 years ago they were most likely not thinking about how the boot catch would be working in NZ many years later.

^ +1

That said, one of the things we love about BMW is that there's a small chance they have been concerned how the boot catch would be working 15 years later.

When I went to the BMW factory in Munich last year, they were only producing cooking model 3 series models. They also produced the E90 M3 engine. The e90 M3's were produced further up north in Germany. I could be wrong but I think just the x, z,1 and 3 series cars are also produced outside of Germany. The 5 and 7 series, or at least the majority of them have always been produced at the Dingolfing plant. I do recall looking at an E34 535is once which was build it in SA, and a mate had a very rare e30 325is with the 2.7 six and M3 suspension, which was also built in SA. Weather they were ckd items assembled, im not sure.

^ +1

That said, one of the things we love about BMW is that there's a small chance they have been concerned how the boot catch would be working 15 years later.

Or at least they thought to have made the spring operating the latch easy enough to replace ;-)

and a mate had a very rare e30 325is with the 2.7 six and M3 suspension, which was also built in SA.

Sam owns one .. its sitting in a garage / storage at the mo as hes off working abroad.

AFAIK there has never been a BMW assembly plant in Japan, and there certainly isnt one now.

SA was a special case to get around the apartheid restrictions and they made some very cool local editions. All that gets built there now (or when they are not on strike anyways) is the F30 3-Series sedan, including the majority of those that come to NZ.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Or at least they thought to have made the spring operating the latch easy enough to replace ;-)

Fixed my e39 boot catch with the carby spring off a 77 mercury outboard. Best of german fixed with best of american..... Edited by etwenty1

Sam owns one .. its sitting in a garage / storage at the mo as hes off working abroad.

Is it badged as an Alpina B3? Spied one in the Meadowbank Countdown carpark not so long ago. 325i & Alpina tags on the bootlid, B3 2.7 on the front grill.

Looked hawt!!