Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Benz E63 AMG

Yeah that's the same for me, good to know! I'll let you know how the usage is in the E60 if you are curious to compare like I am.

It seems weird to only have a 60L tank in the E60, barely will get me anywhere before I have to fill up again.

Edited by DaveO

Sure, yeah interested to know. I believe the tank in the E39 is 70 litres. It's def not 80.

E39 and E60 M5 both have 70L tanks so the V10 is definitely thirstier. James, who brought the E61 M5 to the dyno day, said he gets about 150kms out of a tank using it round town!! 2kms/L... Awesome! haha

Ah yes I see, so both are 70L...

What confused me was that my E39 took 72 litres once, so I just assumed it was 80L (not sure how this happened).

In that case, E60 is definitely more thirsty, about 20% more thirsty to be precise.

Filled the E60 just before, range reckons 420km to full tank, compared to my usual 500km. (70% motorway, 30% city)

What confused me was that my E39 took 72 litres once, so I just assumed it was 80L (not sure how this happened).

Probably got diddled at the pump.

EDIT: Don't want to alarm you but you realise that at that consumption you'll be filling the car up 1.6 times per week if you're doing 35K kms per year as you said. That'll be around $280 per week in fuel or almost $15K per year... A deposit on a house (in Waiuku). Hope that raise was a good one!

I wouldn't tell any environmentalists that you traded in your V8 for a V10 because you have to drive further... I think a Prius might have been a more considerate choice for the ozone layer!! haha

Edited by jeffbebe

Probably got diddled at the pump.

EDIT: Don't want to alarm you but you realise that at that consumption you'll be filling the car up 1.6 times per week if you're doing 35K kms per year as you said. That'll be around $280 per week in fuel or almost $15K per year... A deposit on a house (in Waiuku). Hope that raise was a good one!

I wouldn't tell any environmentalists that you traded in your V8 for a V10 because you have to drive further... I think a Prius might have been a more considerate choice for the ozone layer!! haha

Theres a sayin about m cars...
  • Like 1

I'm not doubting that it will be a fun $15K in fuel... But it would be more fun to spend $5K in fuel on the work run in Corolla or something and $10K in fuel at the track in the E39!

I'm not doubting that it will be a fun $15K in fuel... But it would be more fun to spend $5K in fuel on the work run in Corolla or something and $10K in fuel at the track in the E39!

Never mind

I thought the whole point was not to run an E39 M5 into the ground thru daily driving. With an E60 M5 being so common etc it doesn't matter.

I'm not really a fuel economist kind of person to be honest.

I've had many crappy daily drivers in the past (nissans, toyotas). I've also had a track car in the past (400 horsepower nissan drift car).

Since owning my first E39 m-sport, I decided that driving a nice car day to day really is my thing. I just thoroughly enjoy hopping into my 'nice' car at the start and end of each day, it makes the drive to and from work that little bit more exciting, more lively. I arrive at my clients in a generally much happier mood. I also think I guess I love the ego boost side of things, I enjoy meeting people who like my car, or one day want to own one themselves.

You're right, taking the E39 on the race track would be good fun. But having done a bit of track drifting in the past in a faster, track-built drift race car, it's not a new thing to me, and to be honest, my old nissan would be more suited to the racetrack (1100kg vs 1800kg same power). In the end of my 'drift career' trackdays ended up being very stressful and competitive, and instead of enjoying it and having fun, i was always putting myself under pressure to do better, be faster. Then comes the cost/feeling when something breaks.

BMW have always said the 5 series is supposed to be the perfect car for 1) relaxing driving day to day, with up to 4 people and luggage, then, when you want it to be, the performance of a super car.

I am simply hoping the E60 is as good at this as my E39 is. I love the E39, almost love it even more in the last 24 hours after buying the E60. I understand now why people say it's the last "real" M5.

For me though, the extra power, the strange but quite interesting gearbox, the electronic wizardry (I am an IT consultant by trade), and absolute brutal speed especially on the motorway, really turns the E60 into a new type of M5, a new type of super sedan.

Time will tell. If only I could keep both M5s.... DREAMS

• Like 1

I thought the whole point was not to run an E39 M5 into the ground thru daily driving. With an E60 M5 being so common etc it doesn't matter.

This is the main factor behind my E60 purchase. Money a side, even in only owning the E39 for 6 months. I f**king love it. And a big part of me wants someone else to be able to enjoy it as much as I do before it ends up being run into the ground like you say.

I imagine the SMG - for all its faults - will be more pleasant with that much daily driving. Manuals are great, more responsive, yada, yada, yada, but when you've got to do 600+kms per week of highway driving an auto or SMG is where it's at!

EDIT: By the way, not being argumentative for the sake of it... Just can't fathom getting rid of that beautiful E39. I still want it but my budget's not up there.

Edited by jeffbebe

Hahaha no worries!! I love your enthusiasm and true love towards the E39 :-) And justifiably so, its a damn amazing car!

Edited by DaveO

Awesome looking machine :o I have such a soft spot for the e60... in fact a dream of mine is to shoehorn an S85 into the e46 m3 chassis one day.

Theres a sayin about m cars...

That the gas mileage is worth every penny, right? Riiiiight...? :D

Awesome looking machine :o I have such a soft spot for the e60... in fact a dream of mine is to shoehorn an S85 into the e46 m3 chassis one day. 

That the gas mileage is worth every penny, right? Riiiiight...? :D

No,that running an m car puts the purchase price in perspective

Quite like the e60 m5. But put off by the complicated tech and non diy friendly servicing. The v10 is a beast and sounds amazing. Are you going to open the sound up a bit?

As for running an m5 as a daily - if you can get over the fuel bill its not all that bad. If you're fussy (like me) it can get pricey but we have an abundance of parts available oseas, I have dis, inpa, ncs experts and dis along with decent tools so im happy to doy most things. Its only when a hoist is required I need to get pros on to a job.

Anyway Dave all the best with the e60! Hopefully not as bad as they're made out to be.

... I think a Prius might have been a more considerate choice for the ozone layer!! haha

Yeah, but you have to account for the suicide factor too!

• Like 1

Yeah, but you have to account for the suicide factor too!

.. Harsh?

Think this particular M5 has the exhaust tinkered with or is it back to stock?

Ah yes I see, so both are 70L...

The answer is you were VERY empty. Anything over the 70 is reserve fuel. Real size is probably alittle over 70 but quoted as 70 in the spec.

Thanks Martin. I just hope that driving fairly normally most of the time will help it last longer. Brand new clutch/flywheel is a nice feeling so hopefully don't have to worry about that.

I am still trying to track down a reasonably priced mechanical warranty, anyone have any ideas?

Think this particular M5 has the exhaust tinkered with or is it back to stock?

I believe the 'primary cats' have been removed or such, to give it a tiny bit more growl/scream. Can't really notice/tell to be honest.

Can't wait for the next bimmersport dyno day.

Does anyone know how many kilowatts the E61 M5 estate got at the last one?

Awesome.

I also considered the Lexus IS-F. But after seeing one in person, and discovering they only have 4 seats, and the rear leg/head room was really terrible, I was turned off. I love my BIG sedans :P

13252651703_dd43b9bf35_b.jpg

I really need new euro number plates too...

13254422314_5205910ceb_b.jpg

Edited by DaveO
  • Like 1