Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Benz E63 AMG

A client had one of these, got 270-280kms per tank, curious to see how you go.

I think you'll enjoy it anyway.

I enjoy leaves in my photos for some reason :P

Lined up the only three BMWs I've owned so far for a photo on the weekend (my brother bought my blue one off me).

13345678134_3dca39a955_b.jpg

• Like 1

Funny how long BER678 has been around here. Agree that the E60 needs a Euro plate. We got a plate just before yours in sequence. Where'd you get it ?

Edited by TJ*

Haha yeah definitely needs a euro plate, trying to sort one out this week, I don't really like the HHS for some reason so am trying to find either a cheap personalised one, or a different non-personalized euro one.

The old owner sorted out the current plate, I believe it was from Continental.

Haha yeah definitely needs a euro plate, trying to sort one out this week, I don't really like the HHS for some reason so am trying to find either a cheap personalised one, or a different non-personalized euro one.

The old owner sorted out the current plate, I believe it was from Continental.

Haha I had similar gripes with my previous plate - GJY673 . I'm not a huge fan of HHS either.

QUBE may have a plate.

Yeah Continental's is where ours is from too.

Edited by TJ*

Nice purchase. Picked the right car Dave.

E60 is far superior to the E39. The E39 was a brilliant car. But BMW did an even better job with its Successor.

Love our E60 530D. Just wish I was allowed to drive it. Sam uses it as her daily.

First roadtrip in the E60 last week.

WOW.

This thing transforms into a beast when you hit the open roads. More power than ANYTHING on the roads (pretty much), and the grip levels are out of this world.

100kph - 200kph is literally insane. Yet to do any actual top speed runs, but can cruise along with no dramas, no stress comfortably at 160+ on the way to the coromandel.

This is the first car I've ever owned which goes faster than my driving allows it to.

Overtaking cars is hilarious. Press the M button, drop it into 3rd gear, and hold on!

Fuel economy so far for 70L tank: ($160 to fill).

1st tank: 350km

2nd tank: 370km

3rd tank: 380km

4th tank: 360km

Currently at 20.4 L / 100km

Disgusting really. The E39 M5 was literally 25% better, and that thing was thirsty too.

It feels like, if I drive it a bit less aggressively, or am on open roads the whole time, I could easily get 420km. Will try for this sometime soon.

Edited by DaveO
  • Like 3

I think I saw your M5 on Saturday on SH1 near Newmarket (I was in a black Mtech-II E30), looks immaculate and sounds like a beast when you sped pass me, what an amazing machine

WOW.

This thing transforms into a beast when you hit the open roads. More power than ANYTHING on the roads (pretty much), and the grip levels are out of this world.

100km - 200km is literally insane. Yet to do any actual top speed runs, but can cruise along with no dramas, no stress comfortably at 160+ on the way to the coromandel.

This is the first car I've ever owned which goes faster than my driving allows it to.

Overtaking cars is hilarious. Press the M button, drop it into 3rd gear, and hold on!

Disgusting really. The E39 M5 was literally 25% better, and that thing was thirsty too.

It feels like, if I drive it a bit less aggressively, or am on open roads the whole time, I could easily get 420km. Will try for this sometime soon.

Jesus. My E60 does around 1100kms on the open road per tank. :)

• Like 1

I think I saw your M5 on Saturday on SH1 near Newmarket (I was in a black Mtech-II E30), looks immaculate and sounds like a beast when you sped pass me, what an amazing machine

Yeah man I remember! Nice, I wondered if you were on here. Your car looks awesome too.

WOW.

100kph - 200kph is literally insane. Yet to do any actual top speed runs, but can cruise along with no dramas, no stress comfortably at 160+ on the way to the coromandel.

:blink: I'm average 12.9 litres/100km in the e39 M5... I must not be driving it hard enough.

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 1

:blink: I'm average 12.9 litres/100km in the e39 M5... I must not be driving it hard enough.

Well yea, hard to argue with ya really..................... ;):)

You'll probably find ya grin a bit more the quicker the tank empties............. :D

13.2L/100km in the 540... And I'm of the opposite gender O.o

Definitely not driving it hard enough haha...

Sent from my KM-UQM11A using Tapatalk

Edited by Amber-Leigh
  • Like 1

Is that an accurate calculation or using the OBC because it's lower than the factory spec best for an E39 M5 which was 9.9L/100 highway, 13.9L/100 mixed use and 21.1L/100 city.

If it's OBC, I'd say it's not calculating accurately and if it's your own calculation you are definitely not driving it hard enough!

• Like 1

Is that an accurate calculation or using the OBC because it's lower than the factory spec best for an E39 M5 which was 9.9L/100 highway, 13.9L/100 mixed use and 21.1L/100 city.

If it's OBC, I'd say it's not calculating accurately and if it's your own calculation you are definitely not driving it hard enough!

That's based on the last few fills, mixed driving with a trip up to Palmerston North and back a few weeks ago. OBC is currently reading 13.2 so it's not too inaccurate. On a long trip I will see under 10 l/100km if just cruise along with traffic. I don't generally drive slowly.

Compared to my LR Discovery which averaged 20 L/100km towing the boat over summer (plus the fuel the boat gulps), the M sips fuel like a Prius.

• Like 1

My old E39 M5 averaged over the 6 months I had it at around 14 L / 100km.

So not too far off your numbers. My friend Roo, with his E34 540i, gets similar or worse at times :P

hey dave, there's something lurking in the bushes outside your pad mate.

Finally sold the E39 M5 - new owner taking her down to Wellington this weekend.

I've been driving it around all week and leaving my E60 in the garage.... it's really enjoyable selecting which M5 to use each day... always puts a smile on my face in the morning.

I'll really miss the E39 M5, I understand why some people say 'it's the last real m5'. It's the kind of car you can hop in and drive without even thinking, so easy day-to-day, and yet when you want to, it can fly. I'll miss the manual shifting most of all - and simply having a clutch.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day I find myself back in an E39 M5 (even if it's just a weekend car or such)...

Am looking forward to having just one car again though. Have been paying $100 a month + rego/wof etc costs for the E39 just to be sitting in the garage (not to mention losing around $100 a month of bank interest not having the cash in my savings).

In other news: Bought some euro plates for the E60, went for [bMW 413] with the BMW logo (413 has no relevance but was the only BMWxxx plate available).

I've also decided against a mechanical warranty for now. The cost and terms/conditions, and excess, and servicing rules and contracts were a bit too overwhelming for me, so fingers crossed nothing too major goes wrong.

Having one last photoshoot for the E39 on Wednesday, will show pics :-)

• Like 1