Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

High Mileage X5

also lots of oil leaks , water leaks ,trans and torque convertors failing,

alterantors, trans coolers

Cooling system, cooling system, cooling system in the m62TU motors (everything from radiator, pipes, datamap thermostat, expansion tanks, water pump failure etc)

Water cooled Alternator

Oil and water gearbox heat exchagers

Depending on type. GM or ZF gear box failures (engagement drum and reverse drum if previous owners haven't been gental .. much better design than m54 gearboxes however)

Bushes and thrust arms bushes

Service issues with oil filters not being fitted properly causing dry run to the head

Secondary air pumps

Noise air pumps on startup

O2 sensors pre and post cat

damaged/worn drive shaft guibos

warped rotors

should get you started.

Second wind...

Rocker cover gaskets (oil leaks)

Timing chain and guides

Climate control buttons break

power window plastic breaks

HAC sensor (aircon)

occupancy sensor

MID (dotmatrix display) pixels

Clutch fan

Alternator bearings

• Like 1

So basically an e39 thats bigger and heavier and the expected wear and tear that the extra weight brings.

• Like 1

Second wind...

Rocker cover gaskets (oil leaks)

Timing chain and guides

Climate control buttons break

power window plastic breaks

HAC sensor (aircon)

occupancy sensor

MID (dotmatrix display) pixels

Clutch fan

Alternator bearings

Are you trying scare me off them haha.

So basically an e39 thats bigger and heavier and the expected wear and tear that the extra weight brings.

Spot on. I always thought the X3 was the suv of 3 series and X5 was suv of 5 series? It certainly looks that way by the equipment used inside ie tv, etc. So am I expecting an X5 at the next meet? :P

• Like 1

Are you trying scare me off them haha.

haha no .. just if all of those things havent been done as service items .. then expect them to come up at some point. Just gone through the whole thing myself ... lets just say who ever gets my car when I sell it will probably have one of the most mint 5 series / m62s out :D

Its the old adage though ae - whats 'worse, something that's done a few km's as such, or something with lower km's that's likely been doing the 'hours' stuck in traffic jams.....??

Highly likely its been long distance hot running down in the mighty Mainland........... ;)

So long as its got a service history, & ends up priced accordingly, & drives ok, looks ok, I personally wouldn't be too fazed by the numbers on the odo.......

I see theres a similar km one for sale on tardeme @ Waipuk area too.........

Theres a few around that were owned by farmers, so kms are getting 'up there'.

Numbers on the odo doesn't bother me. The X5 is a bit of an unknown for me so would obviously like something thats been kept for and what to keep an eye on. I'm certainly in no rush.

Spot on. I always thought the X3 was the suv of 3 series and X5 was suv of 5 series? It certainly looks that way by the equipment used inside ie tv, etc. So am I expecting an X5 at the next meet? :P

Now don't get too carried away. I'm looking for something as a weekend warrior and occansional daliy as the girlfriend hates the touring now that its on coilovers. I don't blame her with the state of the streets around home.

My Dad has a Harrier and I hate it with passion. I guess I'm not looking for an SUV as such, but they are becoming affordable to buy. I'm just wary that previous owners may have thought the same but can't afford to maintain them.

My Dad has a Harrier and I hate it with passion.

Lols at this - my thoughts too!!! I'm sure the X5 will be fine............and I agree with ya re they're becoming 'affordable'. I think I'd sooner own the x5 than a similar year / mileage Range Rover anyway, if you're only gonna be a bitumen bunny with it...... :)

Edit - actually, there's worse than Range Rovers, to avoid - a Jeep, especially the V8 ones!! Sometimes, you'll see a guy with a eye candy Mistress that's been around a bit - owning a V8 Jeep is much like that. It'll look ok from a distance, but will be high maintance, drink lots, cost ya a fortune while its around, & it'll be unreliable - especially if its taken away from its normal environment of mall carparks. Much like a 2nd mother-in-law, these are to best be avoided, as (much like a Mistress), they are about as handy as an ashtray on a motorbike......picture it as a Lada made in the states....... ;):)

Edited by Blue-540i