Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E36 V8 Project (post build)

love it! i am in awe of your patience n skills you have a very cooool car as that guy on little britain say " I want one"

Am also interested in seeing twisting power if that is available.

Unfortunately the dyno didn't support that part of the graph for that day.. I was a bit gutted as I really wanted to know what was going on torque-wise.

wow that is a clean conversion .looks like it should have been from the factory and that exhaust system is awesome .

well done

Cheers Dan, perhaps some inspiration for your track hack beast! The dual exhaust was the whole idea of the project funnily enough, I just wanted a sweet sounding V8 E36 and it evolved from there.

love it! i am in awe of your patience n skills you have a very cooool car as that guy on little britain say " I want one"

Cheers Edward.. I forget there's some skill here, I guess a lot of it has just come second nature to me... I wonder if there are ways to turn any of this into a profitable dollar? But then I'm reminded it's fun while its a hobby

Most people ask if I'm a mechanic or that I should be one when I show them haha!

Unfortunately the dyno didn't support that part of the graph for that day.. I was a bit gutted as I really wanted to know what was going on torque-wise.

I meant to ask Robyn at TP about that, did you find out why?

Something about having to tap into a different part of each car to get an accurate measure and too time consuming. Odd, because I saw a torque graph come up during my run, but first time at a dyno, so who knows?

Yep, I noticed the torque graph onscreen... Should have taken a photo but I thought it would be on the printout.

Probably too hard to convert each and every cars flywheel torque output based on gear ratios? To get the a more realistic flywheel output of torque you need to be in a 1:1 gear ratio to begin with, which i suspect none of us were as it would be spinning the dyno too quickly, and with several hours of that, it would probably cost TP alot more in dyno repairs than what we paid him?

I thought all the cars were run 1:1 on the dyno? I know mine was as i set it up to do that in 4th gear.

You can calculate the torque from your power curve, as you know the RPM.

The power is just torque multiplied by speed (engine speed), so to calculate torque you need to take the power number and divide by engine speed. You need to have everything in SI units to make it work without conversion factors.

You can calculate the torque from your power curve, as you know the RPM.

The power is just torque multiplied by speed (engine speed), so to calculate torque you need to take the power number and divide by engine speed. You need to have everything in SI units to make it work without conversion factors.

Well there you go Michael.

Crank the mad excel skilz and get us a nice power & torque graph whipped up for AM viewing at the office with the morning coffee :D

Ah yes I've read so.

However I recall someone saying the RPM figures were slightly off on the day though?

Well there you go Michael.

Crank the mad excel skilz and get us a nice power & torque graph whipped up for AM viewing at the office with the morning coffee :D

If you want to do it in Excel, you will want the power in Watts and rotational speed in radians /second.

To get power in Watts => multiply kW by 1000. To get engine speed in rad/s => divide RPM by 60 and multiply by 2*pi. Formula for pi in Excel is PI().

For torque in Nm using kW and RPM the formula is Torque=Power/RPM*30000/PI()

If you have 150kW at 6000rpm then the torque is 239Nm.

Update - 10.3.14

Finally been getting on with repairing the chassis subframe mounting point cracks appearing. Drilled out and welded up the cracks, and installed the M3 reinforcement plates.

I also installed the RTA mounting reinforcements having noticed small cracks appearing in the forward weld.

This is just after welding and trimming. Currently sealing the metal work up with various paints and body sealers.

IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg
IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2357.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2365.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg
I also installed the rear sway bar reinforcement plates

Dumb question: do you have to remove the entire trailing arm to weld in the pocket reinforcements?

Also, as a matter of interest, what brand reinforcements did you get?

I've just ordered new poly RTAB's and have RallyRoad reinforcements... does it make sense to do both at the same time? Would you know anywhere in Auckland that could do both jobs at the same shop?

Hey Dave,

You don't have to, but I would recommend it personally, but I am sure its doable.

Mine were OEM BMW ones for the subframe, pocket reinfrcements were from AKG Motorsport from USA, quite reasonably priced.

I'd definitely do both at the same time, perhaps give Ray a call, I was going to get him to do some of this work but I decided to get it done in my own time slowly.

• Like 1

Update - 10.3.14

Finally been getting on with repairing the chassis subframe mounting point cracks appearing. Drilled out and welded up the cracks, and installed the M3 reinforcement plates.

I also installed the RTA mounting reinforcements having noticed small cracks appearing in the forward weld.

This is just after welding and trimming. Currently sealing the metal work up with various paints and body sealers.

IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg
IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2357.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2365.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg
I also installed the rear sway bar reinforcement plates

Nice work. Are you doing this on a hoist?

• Like 1