Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E36 V8 Project (post build)

1.02.14 - Update - Rear subframe removed !

So after last nights discovery of cracks forming around the spot welds forming the subframe mounting points I took the subframe out completely tonight.

Pretty easy job actually, took about 2 hours or so.

Ill be glad to get rid of the old subframe, as I have a nice clean 328i rear end to go in with vented disks etc, of which I'm replacing all the bushes and links with new parts. I have yet to find a LSD diff though.... whoops!

Anyhow here's the damage to the mounting points, not as bad as I thought but bad enough, the Front Right and rear left have taken the biggest toll.

Front_Left.jpg
Front_right.jpg
Rear_Left.jpg
rear_right.jpg
NOT good!! Just as well I decided to stop using the car, good excuse to take it off the road too.
I've jumped on to Pelican and gone parts shopping for a rear end rebuild kit. God damn it mounts up! Heres my list
List_of_parts.png

15.11.13 - Update - Took the E36 down the 1/4 mile strip tonight!

Sooo tonight in the E36 at the Meremere Dragway I managed to crack a best 1/4 mile time of 14.0 @ 98mph! Followed by 3 very close runs all dialling in at 14.1 @ 100mph / 99mph / 98mph! Pretty decent results for the level the car is currently at.
I was hoping for low to mid 14 second times so I am pretty stoked!
Next time an LSD diff and a few other tweaks will bring on the 13s easy! Did 9 runs in total, the car ran flawlessly!
It was fun early on, between 5-7 pm when few people where there, I managed to get quite a few runs done between 6-7pm which was great fun.
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg
Of course it started to get busy by 8.00pm and the delays longer (30 mins between runs!) so I called it a night not long after this.
IMG_0527.jpg
1441391_10153473432705537_2116797633_n.j
Time slips everywhere!
IMG_0530.jpg
Can't wait to try it again when I've sorted out the traction (non LSD) issues and some other go fast things!

28.10.13 - Picture Update

I had some time off today (Labor day) so took the car for a drive and snapped some general pictures, no fancy stuff just with my Iphone haha.

At the moment the next goals on the to do list will be to finish rebuilding the rear subframe with new components along with fitting in an LSD. When the old subframe gets removed, I will have the 4 rear reinforcement plates welded in as per stock M3s.

Anyhow heres a few shots, I'm very happy with how its looking but as mentioned, IN 2014 I will see to it that the rest of the M-tec body work gets fitted!

IMG_0118.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________

27.9.13 - Post Build Thread

So it's been a month since I got the certification completed on the E36 with the 1UZ-FE V8 I custom fitted over the last 2 years bit by bit.

7,000kms in since dropping the motor in all is going well, and it's finally at a very decent level where the cars performing as it should while being reliable at the same time. I've done about 1500kms over the last few weeks which has been a long time coming having been working on it for so long, I guess the fruits of my labor are starting to pay off!!

Today I took advantage of the good weather and went for a 3 hour outing to Maraetai, covering some 100kms or so, the real test was to see how well the tiptronic / shift kitted auto setup I've tweaked religiously over the last half of the year goes and it seems to be working really nicely on the open road, having all 5 gears at the flick of a retro fitted cruise control stick makes for a unique experience offering engine braking, over run noises and quick slick changes, especially fun when the road gets twisty or exiting out of corners onto straight roads.

I snapped a few pictures today:

v8_M_1.jpg

v8_M2_1.jpg

v8_M3.jpg

There is still plenty left to improve the car beyond where it is, namely exhaust camshafts, MAF sensor replacing the old style AFM, a Link G4 ECU with a tune and the whole rear end rebuilt with M3 parts and a LSD - the lack of the LSD is the achilles heal at the moment, but I'd rather tackle it all at once rather than do it bit by bit. I would also weld in the rear subframe M3 reinforcement plates while the subframes out.

Further more, he are some under hood shots, and the exhaust system I fabricated.

P1130765.jpg

P1130770.jpg

I still have yet to paint the alloy plenum and cam covers to get a nice satin/matt alloy finish, it's been all about function over cosmetics for the most part!

Here are a couple of shots of the exhaust system too.

I designed and made these headers from scratch out of mild steel, they are now HPC coated. Specs are, 4-2-1 running 1.5" primaries with 4.00mm tube wall, 2.00" 'secondaries' to a 2.25" collector.

DSC04742.jpg

After the headers where done, I made the exhaust system over Christmas & new years, it's a pretty simple but effective, 89 dBA peak in the test and IMO makes an awesome noise!

2.25" ID tube, 2.5" Magnaflow metallic high flow cats, 2.5" Mid mufflers, twin Boysen RS4 mufflers on the back. with 4x 2.5" SS Tips.

P1130187.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

Having seen (and heard) Michael's car I can honestly say... It's EPIC!

Nice work.

So when you go with a G4+ will you also go e-Throttle, and get those lovely downshift blips?

Just out of curiosity, is all the gearbox controller programming usable on all of the toyota 5sd auto's? or just a 1uz A650 combo?

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers Julian, you'll find after going for a 5km+ drive the exhaust sounds it's best then once it's warmed up, revving it in the carpark at idle doesn't do it justice, but it still sounds pretty wild.. it has that stainless steel crackle which goes away considerably once at normal operating temperature giving a nice deep rumble instead.

Nice work.

So when you go with a G4+ will you also go e-Throttle, and get those lovely downshift blips?

Just out of curiosity, is all the gearbox controller programming usable on all of the toyota 5sd auto's? or just a 1uz A650 combo?

Cheers.

Haha, too complicated I think, the way these autos work it's not really necessary it seems.

It's a Powertrain Control Solutions TCM-2000 unit, so can work with basically anything, 5 speed ZF gearboxes if you wanted! It just means custom wiring the sensors and solenoids to the colour coded universal harness and then using a windows laptop to program the shift points in auto mode, rpm settings, sensor settings etc and also dialing in the line pressure / accumulator pressure per gear to gear shift.

You can screw the box up if you do something wrong, I was lucky for the most part but a lot it was trial and error for the first few weeks of trying to set it up right. So far so good now though.

The best thing about the controller is it can multitask, I also have it regulating the exhaust valve flaps at the back so they open if closed at 4100rpm (also a switch to leave them open fully) and set to control the hydraulic cooling fan solenoid so it can speed up or slow the fan when the engine temperature changes.

Oh, very nice work - can we see the engine bay?

325i with quad exhausts... if I cruised up behind that I'd be very, very intrigued! :D

:ph34r:

Cheers! Yeah I've had a few strange looks that's for sure, people looking for what sounds to be some wild American machine, only to see a wee BMW (with a Japanese V8 haha)

I'll update an engine bay photo to the OP.

have you got those bypass flaps on the mufflers hooked up?

You bet haha. A switch on the dash controls them to stay open fully, or stay closed below 4100rpm.

Good fun.

Far out - that exhaust system, well done - great looking set-up!! Great job under-bonnet too, looking at pics it looks 'factory fit' sorta thing, in some sick perverse way, haha!!

I think we now need a 'fly-by' sound clip or something........ :D

Great work Michael, such a tidy and well thought project. Also Lookin forward to a sound clip

Very impressive Michael!

Thank you Darin!

Amazeballs, the sound is mind blowing...

Haha, thanks Sam, glad you liked the sound of it, though it's not as loud as your M50'ed E30!

Far out - that exhaust system, well done - great looking set-up!! Great job under-bonnet too, looking at pics it looks 'factory fit' sorta thing, in some sick perverse way, haha!!

I think we now need a 'fly-by' sound clip or something........ :D

Cheers, oddly enough when the E36 + 1UZ idea popped into my head January 2010 the whole goal was to have the audi RS4 mufflers setup in a true dual configuration etc, it's turned out as good as I hoped, if not better.

I'll have to get a clip at some stage!

Great work Michael, such a tidy and well thought project. Also Lookin forward to a sound clip

Thanks Justin, yeah I probably over planned somethings so it took longer than expected, but it made it more fun and left me with heaps of docs to make it easier if I wanted to repeat the build again in another E36 in a cheaper, quicker time frame.

+1 on the clip, I might get one tomorrow if the weather is good.

While not a drive by clip I did record this the other day, had the digital camera in the car / was going on the motorway.

Ohhhh that does sound good! Good aceleration too.

Cheers lads.

Heh yeah there sure is some good pull. But certainly plenty more potential is if some coin was put into the engine...

My goal is for a nice mild NA setup, 185-200rwkw would be the ideal power range so I'm keen to see what it's doing currently with a stock engine and ecu (other than headers/intake tweaks) is putting out on the dyno day next weekend.

Photo update on page one!

Also here's my dyno run. Not bad for a stock 1UZ engine running only 4-2-1 headers.

E36_V8_Dyno_12_10.jpg
  • Like 1

Typically fat AFR's you see from the stock Toyota ECU.

It would be interesting to see what gains a simple 'sender bender' (like an SAFC or UAFC) would do if you could keep the AFR's up +4500rpm.

Did you get a plot of the Torque curve too?

wow that is a clean conversion .looks like it should have been from the factory and that exhaust system is awesome .

well done