Sign in to follow this  
Dyl

E39 540i

Was having a look at that car as well not too long ago, but didn't go to see it in person. Based on their listing I was wondering why the steering wheel is the old/pre facelift steering wheel (the one commonly found in <2000 e39s) despite being a 2001 model?

Haven't had a 540i but based on my experience with e39s I suppose one thing would be to have a look at the cooling system and what state it's in / whether any preventive maintenance was done. e.g. any coolant leaks, thermostat working etc.

Looks pretty tidy... It's been on there a while as it was overpriced. Still at the high end even for just 115kms which is probably why it's still on the market.

Nothing out of the ordinary IMO, they're very solid cars just look for all the usuals:

Service History

Cooling system

Suspension

If possible try it when cold... Much easier to tell if it has problems like vac leaks, vanos seals, etc. A lot of the rubber and plastic components are likely to be on their way out by 115kms.

I reckon $12-13K would be a fair price for this car if it's as good as it looks.

I reckon even at 12-13 it would still be expensive enough personally............you could do a proper motorsport at that money I think. And its a import.

Edit - have reread the ad - probably is a proper motorsport spec car..... I'd recommend tracing year / build date through chassis number info though, as being an import, sometimes the year info can be 'stretched a bit' when they are first registered in NZ......(depending on how, where, & who does that first rego....)

Edited by Blue-540i

Way overpriced... And why are the black plastic bits all painted white...

Thought the same, kinda prefer the black plastic bits remaining black

Is it not a proper motorsport? Looks it... Seems to have m-sport bodykit, tech II suspension, motorsport wheels and trim.

Some of the FL E39s came with painted trim... Can't say I care for it on a white car looks better on darker colours - white needs the contrast - but it is genuine.

$14.5K's definitely too much but I reckon $12-13K's pretty good for a 2001 Motorsport 540i with only 115,000kms - as long as it's been well looked after.

Thanks guy, sounds like its a pretty good genuine M540i. It'll have a PPI done anyway but I thought it was pretty sharp. Thanks for the price advice, good to know.

Based on their listing I was wondering why the steering wheel is the old/pre facelift steering wheel (the one commonly found in <2000 e39s) despite being a 2001 model?

Hey mate

Your car had that steering wheel initially but it reminded me of a sad clown so I swapped it! The one I got is the same as the E46 M3 wheel from memory (it's OEM too by the way)

Any help

E39 Sedan 540i (M62)

FYL 20

GF12871

First rego NZ 27 May 2011

Japan Oct 2001

assembled March 2001

The E39 has been around for a while now and age is starting to catch up with them hence the need to be sure and check them out completely by people who know them and their faults. The e39 is not prefect by any means and they do have a heap of faults as others have touched on suspension front thrust arms, control arms, sway links, rear suspension arms and ball joints, slack steering box (540 have recirculating ball type not rack and pinion),cooling system complete, oil leaks from various places i.e steering res around motor and some can be a pita to fix plus the 80kg extra motor weight but you do get the extra torque though.The nav set up ( if Japanese type and fitted ) will not work in NZ needs to have the computer replaced as for the steering wheel would look better with the later one fitted imo. The headlights are pron to brake the adjusters as they become brittle over time also they can fog up if subjected to temperature differences with blocked breathers. The boot wiring can brake due to the opening and closing action of the boot, tail light seals need to be tight as water drain age flows near them if they leak it can course all sorts of problems. Just be careful and check it out from top to bottom as for it's age K's and the asking price it is at the top end imo good look no matter what the out come..

Cheaper ones than this are sitting on Trademe for ages. I quite often fantasise about getting one but the problem is selling it on further down the track, I think if I got one I`d end up with it in the garage for ever.Plus after 12 months with my 528 I`ve got it nicely sorted and don`t want to go through everything again with another e39.

Surely the lister knows all this and would take a decent offer ?

Exactly..and it`s a shame but the market rules and I would say it will get harder and harder to move an e39 540 on in the future ..I`d love a 928 as well but I`d be nuts to even bother as they are just about saleproof. Oh well......

If it's as good as it looks then I think 14k is not that unreasonable. If the previous owner has done all the maintenance that you're going to have to do with a "bargain" E39 I'd rather pay upfront. Less hassle, less days with the car off the road, less time spend waiting for parts from overseas.

That's my perspective on it anyway, I would rather 14k with everything in spec than 11-12K with another 2-3k in work to be done.

One thing which would worry me, but is subjective, is that it has different tyres front and back. Still, they're both Dunlops - could be Triangle, Linglong or some equally rubbish brand.

Hey mate

Your car had that steering wheel initially but it reminded me of a sad clown so I swapped it! The one I got is the same as the E46 M3 wheel from memory (it's OEM too by the way)

:D You should PM Tristan on it, because if he's maybe owned it in the past, high odds its probably worth every cent being currently asked.........

For anyone still interested in buying this one (it's still on trademe, price lowered from 14900 to 13900). Here are some service history notes from the last two services; I've listed all the recommended repairs from BM Workshop that had no matching invoice/receipts (i.e. assuming worst case scenario that it was possibly not carried out) based on the docs I received:

October 2012 Service
  • Thermostat reading faulty reading
  • Oil leak starting from cam covers, timing cover and sump area
  • Guard extensions covers broken
  • Boot lock requires further investigation, works from inside car. - Owner's explanation: Apparently working perfectly now.
July 2013 Service
  • Waterpump has excessive play but not leaking yet - recommended replacement before failure
  • Passenger seat mat faulty = $550.00 + gst : Owner's explanation for not repairing this "Found Passenger Mat Faulty – No problem at all, air bag light appear for a few minutes and disappeared. Computer is just checking the airbag during the time."
  • Rear sway bar links worn = Slight knocking = $260.00 + gst
  • Drive shaft donut cracking = $450.00 + gst
  • Can covers weeping oil
  • Headlight adjusters broken
  • P/s hoses damp
  • Coolant stains in valley cover area at rear of engine
  • Coolant stains around expansion tank = original
  • Due for coolant flush
  • intensive washer tank leaking
Edited by Arma