Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Trying to buy this...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=644605581

So I call the guy and ask him for the registration number and he won't give it to me until I win the auction, I asked for the plate # so I could do a bit of due dilligence i.e check for any finance owing e.t.c I'm also leading the bidding currently which I advised him of, I told him to check my username as it has my commodore on there so you'd think he'd get the message that I'm genuine but no... He claimed someone tried to steal the car a few weeks back but I'm unsure how I can do that from Dunedin! Is anyone in the area that could go take a look at the car?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Just list all the things you want to check out like finance, odometer history etc and tell him if he goes his way and gives the plate after sale you reserve the right to back out of the sale if anything looks dodgy

also point out its impossible to look up owner details by rego

he seems like a total muppet to me.

wont answer questions.... dickhead

Just list all the things you want to check out like finance, odometer history etc and tell him if he goes his way and gives the plate after sale you reserve the right to back out of the sale if anything looks dodgy

also point out its impossible to look up owner details by rego

he seems like a total muppet to me.

wont answer questions.... dickhead

He claims there's no finance owing, but yeah, It doesn't inspire much trust really which is a two way street...

The seller sounds like a real muppet.

Each to their own, but I haven't seen anything as hideous as that for some time! The brown interior really sets it off... I bet brock would have driven a three speed auto too...

Each to their own,

Exactly lol. They're either loved or hated, but grew up with these cars around me in my childhood.

The seller sounds like a real muppet.

Each to their own, but I haven't seen anything as hideous as that for some time! The brown interior really sets it off... I bet brock would have driven a three speed auto too...

Have to agree..they were hideous when they were new & original,,,!!!

-A not so cheap copy has not improved things a bit

In fairness, he has outlined things on the auction itself, so they're the terms under what he's selling it. He's said he'll supply rego number to winning bidder, thus checks etc can be done prior to handing over money........

Me - I'd be putting in the Q & A bit that any bids I make are subject to final inspection of vehicle, & it having clear title etc.

I don't blame the guy really - theres a bigger number than usual of time wasting oxygen thief retards on TM thesedays, and as a seller ya just get sick of it. What he's doing is trying to sort 'genuine' from 'bull$hit', & I don't have a problem with that........both as a buyer & seller myself.

Re rego plate - I don't supply it either till after the auction, as the database is NOT secure...........thus it's not too hard to find out exactly 'where' any vehicle is housed, if the database info being held is 'correct', as such........

On same note, if you are self employed & have something registered as a business vehicle under your 'trading name', you may find that anything else you register into your 'private name' while you're self employed, also gets tagged under your business name automatically.......

In fairness, he has outlined things on the auction itself, so they're the terms under what he's selling it. He's said he'll supply rego number to winning bidder, thus checks etc can be done prior to handing over money........

Me - I'd be putting in the Q & A bit that any bids I make are subject to final inspection of vehicle, & it having clear title etc.

I don't blame the guy really - theres a bigger number than usual of time wasting oxygen thief retards on TM thesedays, and as a seller ya just get sick of it. What he's doing is trying to sort 'genuine' from 'bull$hit', & I don't have a problem with that........both as a buyer & seller myself.

Re rego plate - I don't supply it either till after the auction, as the database is NOT secure...........thus it's not too hard to find out exactly 'where' any vehicle is housed, if the database info being held is 'correct', as such........

On same note, if you are self employed & have something registered as a business vehicle under your 'trading name', you may find that anything else you register into your 'private name' while you're self employed, also gets tagged under your business name automatically.......

On the contrary, once you've won the auction you are legally bound to complete the sale regardless of whether or not you could complete any background checks. This guy has listed this car three times on two different accounts with different prices each time, and from two different cities & he expects trust to be installed upon him??? It's not how it works sorry, I've been outbid and have advised him that I'm no longer interested, too much of a risk.

IMO, it will depreciate the price that he will finally get due to these rules he has imposed... and what's wrong with answering questions?? He should have listed it as a classified.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Some serious potential, but god some of those details grind.

On the contrary, once you've won the auction you are legally bound to complete the sale regardless of whether or not you could complete any background checks. This guy has listed this car three times on two different accounts with different prices each time, and from two different cities & he expects trust to be installed upon him??? It's not how it works sorry, I've been outbid and have advised him that I'm no longer interested, too much of a risk.

IMO, it will depreciate the price that he will finally get due to these rules he has imposed... and what's wrong with answering questions?? He should have listed it as a classified.

Fair enough - I'm not aware of previous listings etc on it, & true what you are saying about should have listed it as a classified. You've talked with him on phone though, so I guess gut feelings on it are also taken from that too....

The 'legally bound' bit - it can still be subject to whatever you've said prior to auction end IMO - no different from a house sale being subject to finance or a builder's report or whatever. For myself, I won't hand over money on something that's not as advertised / represented / expected, even outside trade-me. He is stipulating on what terms he's prepared to 'sell it' - in fairness you can also say 'my bid is subject to.........'and in my view (both as a seller & buyer), there's nothing wrong with that......

Hmmm, just not too sure on that, I thought regardless you had to follow through with your winning bid. Sorry but yeah, I only found out the deets on all of the adversities after the original post.

I thought auctions must be followed through? Also winning anything via auction is as is where is. Meaning if you get the rego AFTER the auction, and find out something is wrong, you have no way of getting your money back. That is unless you don't show up for the exchange :ph34r:

The general public cannot get name and address info from a vehicle's number plate. These details are only given to car dealers and finance companies and other case by case approved parties who need to know who owns a vehicle. Even harder to get that info if the person has opted out. So the guy doesn't really have anything to worry about.

The general public cannot get name and address info from a vehicle's number plate. These details are only given to car dealers and finance companies and other case by case approved parties who need to know who owns a vehicle. Even harder to get that info if the person has opted out. So the guy doesn't really have anything to worry about.

Bar the fact that he's hiding something and is using this as an excuse :)

I've gone through the pics and I think I have been able to make out the plate, last 3 digits are 885, the first is L - it's rather easy to work out from there. It's not a factory V8, not even an SS, it was a 1900cc factory & I'm not up 100% on certification, but shouldn't the registration be showing as what cc the engine currently is if it's certed? Then again, I could have the wrong plate...

I keep arriving at the fact I might need to go the hog and get a real one but shite, they're 30k plus!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I've gone through the pics and I think I have been able to make out the plate, last 3 digits are 885, the first is L - it's rather easy to work out from there. It's not a factory V8, not even an SS, it was a 1900cc factory & I'm not up 100% on certification, but shouldn't the registration be showing as what cc the engine currently is if it's certed? Then again, I could have the wrong plate...

I keep arriving at the fact I might need to go the hog and get a real one but shite, they're 30k plus!

Lols, yea, but a real one will gain in value, this probably won't much.......it would be worth paying the extra interest needed for borrowed money maybe in terms of getting a genuine one I believe......

I had been wondering what it 'started' life as too - I figured best case it was maybe a SLE V8........

Everyone has a limit on time & patience, & if ya reckon he's just gonna be too hard to deal with, personally I'd just walk away.......not as if its the last V8 Commy left in the world.....

Poverty pack 1900cc base model, with a V8 dropped in it, nice paint job, rims etc etc. But its still a replica........

Lols, yea, but a real one will gain in value, this probably won't much.......it would be worth paying the extra interest needed for borrowed money maybe in terms of getting a genuine one I believe......

I had been wondering what it 'started' life as too - I figured best case it was maybe a SLE V8........

Everyone has a limit on time & patience, & if ya reckon he's just gonna be too hard to deal with, personally I'd just walk away.......not as if its the last V8 Commy left in the world.....

Poverty pack 1900cc base model, with a V8 dropped in it, nice paint job, rims etc etc. But its still a replica........

My concern is that nothing else has been changed, the 1900's had about as much power as a harnessed dog, not to say that the 308ci's were rockets. I've already walked away on this guy. Too much bullshit surrounding everything.

I'm not up 100% on certification, but shouldn't the registration be showing as what cc the engine currently is if it's certed?

My VW van has a 2.5 Subaru, and after the cert process, it shows the engine size as 2450cc, so it probably should, yes - assuming the cert guy filled in the forms in their entirety.

My VW van has a 2.5 Subaru, and after the cert process, it shows the engine size as 2450cc, so it probably should, yes - assuming the cert guy filled in the forms in their entirety.

It's looking more like it hasn't been certed IMO. So if I found that out post auction end, I'd be telling the joker where to go. This information should be available on the auction.

Also:

Was sold 17th August, 29th of August, 29th September so three times it's been sold since August 17th this year lol.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I changed a ute from petrol to diesel years ago, & once certed, new cc was shown on rego details, plus new motive power type, as per above VW with Subie motor.....

Discretion is good in cases like this, but also bear in mind it 'could' be operating under 'declaration of mods' paperwork, which pre-dates the LVVC process. Given the age of the vehicle, & how gutless they were even when new with the mis-fire 1900cc motor, this is fairly likely.

Unless its in a system somewhere for having been modded, theres no way it would have got WOFs till now......

There's no way it should have got a WoF, but unfortunately there are some slack / dodgy / useless inspectors out there that will put a WoF on anything if you know where to go.

There's no way it should have got a WoF, but unfortunately there are some slack / dodgy / useless inspectors out there that will put a WoF on anything if you know where to go.

I bought a car about a month back, had rust holes in the sills x3 RF, RR and LR, the funny thing was it had a two week old VTNZ warrant on it lol...

I bought a car about a month back, had rust holes in the sills x3 RF, RR and LR, the funny thing was it had a two week old VTNZ warrant on it lol...

Ahhh, bummer. Gotta remember though that a wof is only inspection for road worthiness 'at the inspection time' & you'd be surprised just how quick some rust can develope.......

Of course, there's always the odd wof inspector around that appears to go to work without their guide-dog - much like you I've been caught out in the past too......(turns me on no end - NOT!!!)

Many years ago in Southland, there used to be an outfit that would post your wof out to ya with the reminder......... :rolleyes:

FFS Clinton, stump up for the real thing. Go-on, go-on.