Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

OT: Need second opinion

Hi Guys

A family member has brought herself a 2010 Corolla from an Genuine Toyota Dealership. Window price was paid, only condition was car was to get a new WOF and Rego, and a new seat of tyres because the old ones were originals and bald (tradein car)

They have replaced the tyres with Supercats which obviously not up to OE Spec which from a quick google appear to be Michelins. She does motorway driving every day to work at non-rush hour so 100km/h. Also frequent holidays around NZ, always takes the car

So no question that they aren't suitable, and they will be coming off the car. That's not the question

My question is, do you think it's reasonable to accept that they replaced the tyres as advised, and up to us to fit suitable tyres, or do you think that especially from an Authorised dealership the car should be presented to a standard meeting or exceeding the original saftey standards etc, and I should be getting them to put the correct tyres on the car?

Cheers for your help guys

If they're Michelins on the front, I'd expect Michelins. Otherwise, not sure.

We have seen alot of the corollas switching over to the Bridgestone tyres because the Michelins are a little bit harder, and an unfortunate characteristic of that model corolla is that they have a lot of interior rattles. The supercats are getting decent mileage, a little lower quality than the Michelins but seem to last just as long.

I would definitely expect michelins! Very cheap of Toyota, especially considering she paid sticker price...

If BMW did the same thing you'd be rightfully livid. No reason Toyota should get away with it just because it's a less exclusive manufacturer.

Unless type / make of tyre replacement was originally agreed to during the negotiations, I don't think theres much you can do really, as the dealer has honoured what they said they'd do by fitting 'new set of tyres' - what they have fitted meets NZTA legislative requirements, & at least they're not a triangle or Ling-long or some other nasty brand.....

• Like 1

Supercat is Bridgestone/Firestone not Michelin & is classed their entry level touring tyre (according to their website anyway) so i would think that they arent far off the intended application as you've described it.

Personally i dont think you have a leg to stand on if you didnt specify what they replaced them with. And to be fair, if they were really trying to cheap out, im sure they could have found some chinese no name brand tyres for even less. At least Firestone are prepared to sell them through their own network.....

• Like 1

I think its probably fair that they used supercats. my GF had them on her car and while not being great they werent to bad.

It could well have been a point of negotiation if you thought of it first but they are at least bridgestone not something chinese, so they are probably not taking the piss just using the most common tyre available.

would be worth asking if they could swap them for something better if they havent been used, even if you pay the difference. but i doubt they will go for that.

If it's any consolation, I had a set of Supercats on my Corolla, and they were no worse than the other 'comfort' tyres I've used (Interstate Touring IST-1 & Kingstar Road Fit SK70 at the moment). Supercats are also made by Bridgestone.

I would have to say, having Supercats on my old Renault was less grippy than the Conti's I have tried on other ones (admittedly not OE either) but for what they are, they were good on fuel.

Though, I have heard horror stories of Supercats too, where one tyre wore faster than others though the alignment was mint. Frankly, if it wears too quick, or doesn't "feel " right, go to the dealer.

so sounds like we should just suck it up. so you guys reckon they are better than kingstars/triangle/bluestreak etc??

Having had both, honestly they're much of a muchness. I run a 60k daily round trip with a mix of 100kph and city driving, and have no complaints around wear or failures. They do what they do in an un-dramatic way, for an un-dramatic car. Exactly what I need.

Ive bought a few cars with them on. Id rate them one of the better sh*t tyres, but at end of the day i cant say ive used many other lower end tyres for very long.

Imo, it's a little bit cheap of toyota considering window price was paid, but it is only a corolla. I researched into them because I had and still do have two on my car when I got it. As said above, they seem to be an 'ok' standard tyre / one of the better cheap ones. If I had ling longs / triangles or some other unknown brand on my car when I got it I would of removed them.

so sounds like we should just suck it up. so you guys reckon they are better than kingstars/triangle/bluestreak etc??

Yes, on both counts............ ;)

Some of the $hit tyres that are out there now are only fit even when new, as being used as 'boat buffers' at a wharf or in a kids playground IMO.........

Cheap nasty tyres, & under inflated tyres, are definitely on my 'pet hate' list bigtime.........

And Andy - its not as if we're talking bout a 'Amon Corolla' here ae, which DEFINITELY would be needing some high performance tyres under it......??!! ;):lol:<_<

Yeah. Imo, super cats aren't too bad for cheapies. Certainly MUCH better than any of the cheap and nasty kinglong wingstar types. Had super cats on the civic, were sweet with a daily commute over paekak hill.

so you guys reckon they are better than kingstars/triangle/bluestreak etc??

Very mcuh better

I had some on the rear of a Legacy - they were better than the good years on it prior - dunno what model the good years were though.

I would have negotiated a discount and got my own tyres.

If you want to gauge if they were being tight, call a Firestone direct that is at a Toyota Dealership and give them the car details and tyre sizes and tell them you want an OEM standard replacement, say its for your mum and you want a safe tyre. See what they come back with.