Sign in to follow this  
johnythefish

Looking at a 2000 728i anything I should pay particular

attention to? It has just over 200k's clocked. According to seller "has been meticualasy maintained" I have decided not to go with the 735iL I was looking at. Just asking of anything I should be looking out for. Thanks in advance for any help

Perhaps the engine size might be the biggest concern. Any car that size should have at least a 3.0L engine.

Smaller engines in large cars tend to be driven harder, so tend to be more stressed, leading to increased wear compared to a larger more 'relaxed' motor.

These are just my thoughts though haha.

• Like 1

Just make sure it is not from Singapore. If it is walk away.

Make sure all the windows still work. E38's are notorious for faulty rear windows.

The stereo system in the car is all integrated. If they have changed this out for a cheap head deck you may find most of the speakers no longer work.

At 200K the underpowered motor could be getting tired.

Agree totally with Michael^^^^^^ 728 - the model for Grandma, Grandad, & anyone who thinks a 740 might get away from them........the only thing slower is a 725........ ;):) The Ultimate Driving Machine, it probably is not. You will be looking for oxygen tanks anytime it smells a gradient within 10kms, & you will need to fold in the mirrors, check wind direction, consult a calendar, check life insurance cover & pray, before attempting any overtaking in it in open road speed zones......... ;):)

Edit. I'm sure its a great car - should be primo on fuel (I'd be aiming for at least 35+mpg with it), & its the old adage 'horses for courses' thing - if it ticks enough boxes for ya, buy it. If it doesn't, high odds something maybe more suited to you will likely be turning up soon.

Please note, this is my opinion only, worth 95c on a great day, bit less than that on an average day, & worth 5/8's of bugger all on any other day.........This opinion is not a reflection on any other Bimmersport members, or board content in general. Please have a sense of humour whilst reading it, & take it with 4.5 grains of salt. No correspondence will be entered into after the event. Please read under supervision. Kids, don't try this at home. Warning - may offend some people. This way^^up. Do not stack. Do not store with perishables. Please keep your receipt as proof of payment. Bar taxes & death, no guarantees will be given. Not to be used by unauthorised or untrained personnel.

Edited by Blue-540i

Well....I was hopeing for some nice things to be said about my new car. However, these are the twin vanos motors (which in grandad terms) can get you upto 37mpg. So can afford to drive it everywhere/everyday, not just....how do you put it? "the Sunday cruiser". I have owned 4 seven series (there the ones I love) The E23 735i I owned in the uk, was a little scarry at 160MPH on the M6 near Coventry once, the E32 730i I have owned here in NZ i got me more speeding tickets than I care to remember, that was a few years back mind. Have also had a 1978 728 and a 1979 733i (re-built the motor in that one) both in the uk. So I tend to think that ALL of the seven series are THE ultilmate driving machines.Ok I know the 2000/2001 728i even with its pussy little motor may need a little more squirt up the hills etc.....but who cares! its still a BMW, And at the end of the production run, they all came with all of the bells & whistles. And yes its from singapore (show me one that isn't!) The 735iL I drove last week sounded like a bag of nails! I reckon she might still just give me that car, just get rid of it!.........Anyway this car has an electric rear blind! I might just have to go and have a wank over that! But hey guys, I do value your thoughts and suggestions. Cheers John

• Like 1

^ I actually prefer the 728i. John, did you test drive a blue 735il with a baby seat in the back, priced at 5990? (because I did too.)

Well....I was hopeing for some nice things to be said about my new car. However, these are the twin vanos motors (which in grandad terms) can get you upto 37mpg. So can afford to drive it everywhere/everyday, not just....how do you put it? "the Sunday cruiser". I have owned 4 seven series (there the ones I love) The E23 735i I owned in the uk, was a little scarry at 160MPH on the M6 near Coventry once, the E32 730i I have owned here in NZ i got me more speeding tickets than I care to remember, that was a few years back mind. Have also had a 1978 728 and a 1979 733i (re-built the motor in that one) both in the uk. So I tend to think that ALL of the seven series are THE ultilmate driving machines.Ok I know the 2000/2001 728i even with its pussy little motor may need a little more squirt up the hills etc.....but who cares! its still a BMW, And at the end of the production run, they all came with all of the bells & whistles. And yes its from singapore (show me one that isn't!) The 735iL I drove last week sounded like a bag of nails! I reckon she might still just give me that car, just get rid of it!.........Anyway this car has an electric rear blind! I might just have to go and have a wank over that! But hey guys, I do value your thoughts and suggestions. Cheers John

Lols - don't be soooooo sensitive!! I'm sure its a fine car......and maybe theres not many hills where you live, who knows :) ......Sounds like you & the rear blind are going to bond nicely though.............just remember the important bits at the front end like service history etc relating to the cooling system, as mentioned, or factor in a few $$$ for giving it a bit of a birthday in the times ahead, as already mentioned by some-one else. I'll go add a wee disclaimer to what I said earlier......... ;):)

the biggest thing people forget is, it costed north of $150,000 new, so expect repair bills into the Thousands of dollars. Just because 10 or 15 years on its only worth $10k (pulled that number out of thin air), its still a $150,000 or more car.

I disagree with that - down the track at 10-15yrs old, initial purchase price doesn't mean much IMO - its only worth what any buyer is willing to pay for the pleasure of owning it. Reality is Euro cars in NZ, devalue more $$$$ or % wise over a given period of time, than what popular Japanese makes do. This is especially seen in Volvo's, BMW's, Range Rovers, Jaguars I believe, and as you say though, can also be hiding a hornets nest of awaiting repair costs...........some aren't though, & are extremely good value for money in comparison to what other 10k (for eg) cars actually are. Hope that makes sense?? I think a typical 10k 10 year old BMW, is likely to be twice the vehicle a 10 yr old corolla is, even if price is similar, is what I'm trying to say I suppose............ In a lot of cases, because they have been premium price when new, its often reflected that they have also lead a far more sheltered & cherished 10 yrs, than a cheaper vehicle typically does......

Thats better all my new BMW mates!....There is nothing I ike more than a bit of sarcasum (piss taking for the other ones) Ha Ha, Hey "the juggernaunt" Yeah I did!....Jezz I loved the interior, what a combination of interior colours. But what a banger of a motor, was going to offer $5k after test drive (no warrant) and a strange whine when car in motion (I'm picking from transmission) or do they just do that? And then heard that motor, walked away at that moment (and that was hard!) and yes it did have an electric rear blind! later that night offered $4K via email, that was accepted, but.....still too far away to diagnose properly, if needs cam guides etc + tyres wern't that flash for a warrant. Car could end up costing more than its worth $6k-$8K So let the seller know, and gave up on that one. Anyway you knobs, I havn't as yet parted with my cash. Now have a 2001 728i about half the k's for about $1k more as well in my sights, but its like in alaska/dargaville or somewhere like that. However I also have a "slighty biased mate" who lives up there and will take it for a spin and listen for any cold start up and "nasty warmed up" noises, and just make sure its all the same colour. Nothing pisses me of more than a slightly different shade of paint on one panel (this car may have that on the passenger front door) And its the same silver as the missuses 318, so that has to be sign, since I have some touch-up and a aerosol made up of that colour. Anyway thanks for the "POSITIVE" advice. Me and that blind.....well thats anouther story. Ok now time for a nana nap, I think they were about $165k new...ok ok I'm going

The main problem with buying a 15 year old $150k car is that they came with EVERYTHING, and each tick of the option sheet is something else that may need repairing!!

Show me a 15 year old japanese car that has all the extras a well specced e38 or e39 has and it will cost just as much, if not more, to keep in "as new" condition!!

The other thing i love is that BMW still support their oldest cars with spare parts etc. Try buying parts from honda for 1984 City turbo and they just laugh, pop down to BMW and order bits for a 1978 e21 320i and they're here 10 days later!!

If it blows your hair back, go for it!! ( you can upgrade to a v8 later):)

• Like 1

The point is that everything that was on the car when it rolled out of the showroom is still on it now. For a fairly `heavy discount`. Tht`s why I love them. But you need a good independent mechanic who knows them ( or owns one). I was reading on the net about franchise dealers in the States and how they make their money. Markups in excess of 50% for parts and servicing, and kickbacks on finance packages as well. New car dealers there are looking at less than 10 % profit on purchase price. Worth thinking about...what is maintenance on a Bimmer or Merc really like if you shop around ?

I drive past Jeff Gray in ChCh most days but have no intention of ever popping in.................

• Like 1

Good morning folks; thanks for words and advice, and will take them on board. Hope to view a couple more this weekend, (even her indoors is warming to the idea now) they do represent a lot a car for your money I know. There is a lot of information on these cars out there, this is a good site http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Index.htm All of the ones I have been keeping close eye on I get the last 7 charactors of the vin# (from carjam)and search the car on the bmw archive website (ok its in german) but mostly translated to english, here I get all the factory options it came with etc. And most importantly the date of manufacture (Its surpising how many people think there car is newer than it really is) I'm not to fearful of the electrics/electronics, and most mechanical jobs. But I have no exprience with the complicated vanos stuff (might have soon though.... aye!) Cooling system, that is a good one to watch out for yes, with all the plastic bits going brittle. I am however very experienced with the cooling system on the toymotor 3ltr (1kzte) diesel vans. I will let you know how I get on, thanks again; John (see thats me being nice!)

) and a strange whine when car in motion (I'm picking from transmission) or do they just do that?

Trans whine is quite loud. If indeed a V8 BMW has trans whine....WALK AWAY RENEE (or perform a 6 speed swap!)

Trans whine is quite loud. If indeed a V8 BMW has trans whine....WALK AWAY RENEE (or perform a 6 speed swap!)

Coulda been a UK import one - I've heard theres the odd one from the Motherland that whines a bit, but can be easily fixed when exposed to right amount of Kiwi updated programming........

I am however very experienced with the cooling system on the toymotor 3ltr (1kzte) diesel vans. I will let you know how I get on, thanks again; John (see thats me being nice!)

Ahh, the 1KZTE cracked head issue??? They do it regulary for some reason - poor heat dissipation, restrictive exhaust, intake restrictions, etc etc.....all doesn't help.

Ahh, the 1KZTE cracked head issue??? They do it regulary for some reason - poor heat dissipation, restrictive exhaust, intake restrictions, etc etc.....all doesn't help.

It's a diesel 4 cylinder Toyota???

It's a diesel 4 cylinder Toyota???

Well yes, true, but generally at 250+kms of typical abuse, its probably fair that something gives in the chain - ones that are looked after properly still do silly kms without much grief or headaches though really..........

Just make sure it is not from Singapore.

+1 to that. My e46 was from singapore.... apart from it being the reason of faded paint and cracked door seals, it obviously degrades the internals of the computers as well.