Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

I doubt any will have an lsd unless its an "is" or has been an added option. My 95 328i was a factory manual no acs and no lsd so I wouldn't have that as a deciding factor. They're only about 700 for a Lsd anyway.

The blue ones probably the way to go since its had all the servicing bits done but is up there in price.

I sold my nz new manual 328i with leather, lsd, full exhaust with headers and Remus rear box and full sounds for 8,500 with 180k on it...

I know "is" stands for sports but I didnt know an 328 "is" existed. my car is an "is" and it has the LSD. I thought motorsports was the "is" standard on these cars? What the diffrence between motorsports pakage and "Is"? would the "is" have the LSD but motorsports wouldnt?

I am going by the condtion of the cars, that red car seems to be in better condtion, and with more options and the owner (a woman) said she had her car for 6 years and she had it serviced from the same garage and has all the service records. I am yet to hear back from her regarding few of my other questions. but i might just take that and have the LSD put in.How much do they usually charge to put in the LSD for you if you buy it from them. Do they do a good job with new bushings, fluid and everything? I can do it at home but its a couple of hrs work so rather have them fit it.

How much did your exhaust set you back? from reading these cars dont benifit too much from exhausts and intakes unless you put the m50 mani and m3 cams. Too bad I missed out on your car. how many K's did it have? you know I probably wouldnt mind going that far if the car to me was really worthwhile. I am intentionally keeping my budget under 6k since I know I will be doing some suspension maintenence and work to it.

oh and happy new year.

Remus box was about 800, and about 1500 for the custom made headers and rest of exhaust. And it did free it up alot in the top end. and i wouldnt worry too much about a m50 intake, is only good for top end power and you loose low down torque which is what the 328 is all about. If you can get the the whole diff just fit it yourself, its pretty easy. but if you just get the internals to keep your gear ratios make sure it's the right one as there's two different sizes depending on what ratio you have and get someone who knows what they're doing so they can set the backlash and what not. Me and a mate did mine so was only the cost of the diff and fluid. Best LSD fluid to use is the castrol stuff from BMW, is $30 a litre but is the proper stuff.

I know "is" stands for sports but I didnt know an 328 "is" existed. my car is an "is" and it has the LSD. I thought motorsports was the "is" standard on these cars? What the diffrence between motorsports pakage and "Is"? would the "is" have the LSD but motorsports wouldnt?

To me iS\motorsport are the same thing. While im not expert on E36's im not even sure there was specific set of options to specify what exactly is a true E36 motorsport\iS or not.

I think the problem i think with E36's is they were built over a long period and heavily produced so many variations, BMW were moving to electronic traction systems instead of mechanical for non-M cars during 90's which doesn't help.

Older BMW's i think were alot more consistent and clear cut.

Remus box was about 800, and about 1500 for the custom made headers and rest of exhaust. And it did free it up alot in the top end. and i wouldnt worry too much about a m50 intake, is only good for top end power and you loose low down torque which is what the 328 is all about. If you can get the the whole diff just fit it yourself, its pretty easy. but if you just get the internals to keep your gear ratios make sure it's the right one as there's two different sizes depending on what ratio you have and get someone who knows what they're doing so they can set the backlash and what not. Me and a mate did mine so was only the cost of the diff and fluid. Best LSD fluid to use is the castrol stuff from BMW, is $30 a litre but is the proper stuff.

I saw some dyno results with the m50 mani + m3 cams + a chip (which regains the bottom end torqe/power you lose when getting the mani).

Wasn't there a member in this forum "wayne" who made custom headers for a resonable price? Redline performence seems to be asking a lot more for the remus systems then they should. Are you guys with custom exhasts + headers on these cars really noticing the diffrence on the top end? (apart from the sound it cant be more then 5 - 10HP combined with a better cold air intake then the bmw factory one(which already is a cold air intake as it shields the filter and takes the air from the front nose ofthe car).

I have heard of the golf T mod and gutting the exhaust but results varry and a good muffler would sound better. What are the muffler options on these cars?

@eagle I am looking at a few e34's too, looked at this ad http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=680546813 - real nice car, thinking to make him an offer but looks like I have been beat.

If anybody got something within upper north island and might consdier selling, let me know. my budget is not written in stone so maybe we can work something out.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Bit over priced that one. E34 540iA's are nice if you don't mind auto and want better power and fuel economy but id still take a 535is over one for everything else.

anybody find anything else worth looking at trademe. I am thinking of considering a 5 or 7 series if it looks good.

PS: i know this is a bmw forum but what would you guys think of benz? what would be equal to the 90's 3 series 325i / 328i?

Yea I dunno - Merc's don't spin my wheels much for some reason..............some of the late model stuff looks ok though, but I don't see myself ever owning one......

• Like 1

Mercs are either old man or slammed out on chromes gangsta cars. Buy Brent's 328i wagon

• Like 1

yea I figured, dont know was looking at the neighbors benz and found myself on the fence, thought maybe I should ask what others though before I gave it any more thought.

a friend was going to buy his wifes red GT wagon or whatever you call it that hes got on trademe, but hes looking at the black m3 now. the m3 evo is worth it but I cant justify spending more then 10K on a 10 - 20 year old used car. so just thinking to get a regular mspec car which would have some grunt and nice handling. I cant stand most newer bmws past the e36 and maybe the e38 and e39. Personally kinda hate wagons. I have one and hardly ever drive it unless hauling a months stock of food from town. Should have gotten a ute or truck instead, all my neighbours have them.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Well, its nice colour, is 2 door, has the 'good motor' in it, & probably from pics, looks tidy enough for what it is. And its already been tweaked a bit in terms of suspension & tints etc. IMO its probably around 1k overpriced, but ya could certainly do a lot worse than that one.

Its been a chick's car, which also generally lessens the likely hood that its already been reamed senseless by some-one, that umm, drives like you do......... ;):D:)

• Like 1

Yea probably not a bad buy really

thought about that, but a vin check showed its not 99. its manufacturing was I think late 1997 :(

Says Prod.date 1997-11-04

so that should be 4 november 1997 (or 11 april 1997? quite unlikely.)

I am considering it. I am considering it. umm.. you are my kinda guy blue, So I gotta ask you something. If you saw me driving a red car (like that) would you seriously find it funny or gay? I mean do you think it makes me look like those stupid boy racer kids who drive the ricer cars? I mean since you did mention a chick drove it. do you think those rims specially since they are so big, would make me look like a "gangstar/chrome/faag/look at me boy racer" And do you think its too low or is it okay? i mean would you drive it yourself? just looking for openions..well a chick drobe it and all.

:ph34r:

I am considering it. I am considering it. umm.. you are my kinda guy blue, So I gotta ask you something. If you saw me driving a red car (like that) would you seriously find it funny or gay? I mean do you think it makes me look like those stupid boy racer kids who drive the ricer cars? I mean since you did mention a chick drove it. do you think those rims specially since they are so big, would make me look like a "gangstar/chrome/faag/look at me boy racer" And do you think its too low or is it okay? i mean would you drive it yourself? just looking for openions..well a chick drobe it and all.

:ph34r:

:rolleyes: Hmmm, I'm probably maybe the wrong person to ask that....as a background, I'm from Southland farming upbringing. ;) Which means if you don't drink 'proper' coffee, own a ute & at least 1 chainsaw, know how to weld, have a proper sized dog, & eat steak, then I'm probably already automatically wondering which team you bat for..... ;):)

Would I buy that car - no. But with a open-mind, I can also appreciate it for what it currently probably is, going off the ad info & your interaction with the current owner. IMO, at the moment, that car sorta 'sits on the fence' between being 'tweaked & classy', & 'a gay pimp-mobile rice-rocket wannabe' thing.

As it is, its fine. But if you're gonna get it, cover it in stickers, wear a cap backwards while driving it (or hair gel!!), lower it further, put neons under it, hang $hit from the rear-view mirror, & put the doof-doof sounds in it like I can hear when the neighbour's sprog blasts past our place at 100k, then yes, that might well be on the way to turning it into something 'gay'.......... ;) As in, maybe a convertible MR 2 or some sorta Fiat might be a better choice car............ :)

On a serious note, rims etc can be changed down the track if you want to anyway - I'd recommend getting the best 'package' of a car as ya can as a good base starting point, & realistically, this one probably ain't too bad. Its good that a chick has had it, its a plus. Girls, (generally) are real particular with getting them maintained, they usually don't thrash the snot outa their car, & because 'they're not a young guy', they haven't got the bonnet up all the time f#cking around with $hit they shouldn't be, or going, 'duh, hows this work??' until it doesn't. Same with they don't cut holes everywhere trying to fit in subs & $hit the size of 44 gallon drums........and they wash them / vacuum them out etc as well.

The other thing is, she has owned it for quite a while, & is selling it for genuine reasons............a 2 door vehicle with a kid is about as handy as a motorbike.

Remember though a 328 is the 'big-block' version of what ya had - try to hold onto it this time & not park it anywhere silly dude, like in a ditch........ ;):rolleyes::)

Check.

Yea, Thats what i wanted to hear. If you come down far north, its a bit toned down from the south but more or less the same here. Just stay outta big cities like hamilton, wellington, auckland and you'll be right at home. But I am still curious, if you were in my shoes why wouldnt you get the red car? I hope its the fact that its an auto and not a man?(I can swap it out myself) and not because the lowered car + rims and the fact the car is red might give a feminine vibe? :unsure:

Out of all the years I had mine, I have never wanted to install a sub, never had a sub on any of my cars for that matter, Rather spend time fiddling with maintaining my engine then car audio and crap. (I have a home for listening to AUDIO) not a fan of those boom boxes and doof doof music in cars along with fart cans, maybe something with a good tone or just exhaust tips or a nice complete exhaust setup You see I am a old school brylcream guy who dresses like johhny cash. no hair gel for me, ever! I dont want to be seen in something that changes my well off bachelor boy toy image into a preverted gay pimp trying hard to fit into the 16 - 21ish yo yo crowd. ^_^

So far the red one seemd like the best package although the asking price is a bit off, i am sure can work something out with the owner. I will take it forward and discuss a bit more with her and see how it goes. :)

the bmw is my all purpose car, I always prefer to drive it over the other ones. Hopefully i wont ditch it anytime soon. not this time. i would hate to spend another 6k. :lol:

PS: I looked at this too,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=680447769

But just cant make myself "like" these newer looking cars over a older 328i. I mean I know its probably a better car overall, but Would you consider driving one of those? :rolleyes: How much would you pay for one? Is 10K the right price for e46 330CI in that condtion??

Edited by MoJoJoe

Lols - funny stuff. If I was in your shoes, I would buy it probably. Only reasons I wouldn't buy it myself is cos personally I'm not a fan of 2 doors, & I prefer the size of a 5 series over the 3, with the benefits that brings.

Yea, that 330 is ok - similar mileage, still a import, & if you bargin a bit on the red one, nearly twice the price...........for what benefits though in having nearly another 5k tied up in it?? Each to their own & all tho......

If you look at this, http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/47509-isnt-there-someone-always-wanting-one-of-these-fiji-green/ and then compare to the red one, the red one ain't all baaaad, surely, in terms of value for money, etc etc......?? :)

But, sooner or later you'll have to get off da fence, cos what you reckon is gonna happen if some-one slides up to that chick's gateway & offers $57-5800 for her car in the meantime....... :)

Each to their own & all tho......

If you look at this, http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/47509-isnt-there-someone-always-wanting-one-of-these-fiji-green/ and then compare to the red one, the red one ain't all baaaad, surely, in terms of value for money, etc etc......?? :)

But, sooner or later you'll have to get off da fence, cos what you reckon is gonna happen if some-one slides up to that chick's gateway & offers $57-5800 for her car in the meantime....... :)

:blink: WOW...ahhhem..I cant say I am a fan of that green co....colour. hope that wasn't a factory option. otherwise not too shabby, would look stunning in gloss black!

You are right blue, I think I am gonna get off the fence and walk over and discuss it with that chick. see where it goes. With its few existing problems, I am considering offering as some one else said earlier around 4.5 - 5k.

SHEX! Read the Post Below....

Edited by MoJoJoe

FIXD EDIT:

I wrote to her and got some more information. what do you guys make of it?

Looks like the car has been used as a second car in the last 3 years so not used much. but always garaged well. car jam showd no wof records since 2010 but she said it has wof so thats okay. It has some pealing on the quarter panne window triml(usual) . so the coolant is probably gone bad, thermostat and water pump waan't changed since she had it, AC is also not working properly(meaning nor is the AUX fan). (bummer)

I dont think I can offer her too much. it will probably run me $500 - $1000 to bring it back to shape, cooling system, radiator flush, ac regas(if the compressor still works), repaint the quarter pannels window trim or replace them(anyone know if the dealer still sells them?)

Sorry as I am not so mechanically minded but I take it to a garage where the owner has always owned BMWs so I trust he knows what he is doing. I will have to call to ask about the stage 1/2 oil changes, as far as I know I just get a regular service with all fluids, filters etc checked and replaced. It had a full transmission service in May 2011. It is due a service now but as I am selling it I was going to get a full service and warrant for the new owner. I just don't want to do it until it is sold or the warrant will be wasted. It hasn't really been used in the last 3 years as it has been a second car for me so it is just used every now and then. If you check the k's history it will reflect this.

I have not replaced the thermostat or water pump but unsure if it was done by the guy before me. The previous owner worked for BMW in Auckland and I know he looked after it well.

The sensor that was replaced in the motor was the crank sensor, it was missing slighty every now and then..have had no problems since. There is no leaks from the car and the transmission is fine, never slips. To be honest I have never had to top up the oil and water other than at services.

As far as the interior goes it is mint. There is no rips, has original BMW mats and carpets are in great condition. There is however slight sagging on the drivers door but this could be easily fixed as it is not too far gone.

I don't think the AC is working properly, Im not a fan of AC so have never used it but I think they are better used. Probably needs re-gasing? Fans work well though. Other electrics are good, the problems I had fixed had all slowly happened over time. The battery is great, it has a large gel cell one so never dies! It was left for 6 weeks when I had baby and even with the alarm light flashing she still fired up!

Not sure about the plastic lip sorry it is obviously lost??

I have had a look around the exterior, the back half windows have perished rubbers and there is a bit of a scrape on the right hand front bumper where I went a bit close to the garage! the white should come off but the plastic is a little scraped to. I think you can see this in the photos on trademe but I can get a close up if you want... other than a few stone chips on the bumper it all looks ok

What would you like more photos of? I can get them tonight when my partner gets home. Also if I haven't answered your questions enough remind me.. Im getting a bit lost haha.

I love driving this car and really don't want to sell it but it is wasted in the garage and with no income at the moment it is expensive keeping it registered etc.

Was there an approx. date you were thinking of coming down south? I could meet you up in Bombay or something? Just cant go too far as baby isn't the best in the car sorry.

Thanks for your interest

Edited by MoJoJoe