Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

They'll give you a basic feel for a cars performance, that's about it.

if you care about driving exprience then the e30 & e36 318is can be fun cars with the sports package. better then most newer cars in its level/price point. not everybody cares about a fast car that can do amazing 0-60 times. theres always a faster car out there. in real life on the motorway, how far are you going to go in a car that can do 0 -60 in 5 seconds, opposed to one that can do it in 8? a few car ahead? You dont need the fastest car and biggest house to be happy, as per the capitalist mentality

Edited by MoJoJoe

if you care about driving exprience then the e30 & e36 318is can be fun cars with the sports package. better then most newer cars in its level/price point. not everybody cares about a fast car that can do amazing 0-60 times. theres always a faster car out there. in real life on the motorway, how far are you going to go in a car that can do 0 -60 in 5 seconds, opposed to one that can do it in 8? a few car ahead? You dont need the fastest car and biggest house to be happy, as per the capitalist mentality

Anti western consumerism as justification for owning a 318i...

Potent dope crop up there this year is it? haha

• Like 1

justification for owning a 318i...

No. I said for what it is, Its a fun little car, I appreciate it for what it is. :)

I'm just saying I dont need the newest or fastest bmw to be happy. :unsure:

Potent dope crop up there this year is it? haha

Yes! I get my stuff from mr. j. key.

the cops sell it here too. :ph34r:

Anti western consumerism

hell yes :D

usa_vs_russia.jpg

:lol:

back_on_topic.jpg

:lol:;)

Edited by MoJoJoe

Well yes, this is sorta true - I seem to recall you started it though re the speed bit, oh I dunno, 23 pages ago or something........in terms of how quick things are or could be but yes, you're now right in what you're saying, as far as this given time on a Friday anyway........this may change, & be open to further interputation once the tops start coming off bourbons later....... ;):)

Last sentance there might be open to some debate............ :D Not from me though.........

I think it depends on what you are used to and what you have driven. I generally dislike cars that are lacking in low down torque having owned only 6 cyl BMW's and above

Id never get anything below a 325i if it was going to be my fun\track car etc as you will end up wanting to go faster once you start tracking it. Once you experience more power its hard to go back to slower cars.

Once you experience more power its hard to go back to slower cars.

This is very true.

What was the topic again?

I think it depends on what you are used to and what you have driven. I generally dislike cars that are lacking in low down torque having owned only 6 cyl BMW's and above

Id never get anything below a 325i if it was going to be my fun\track car etc as you will end up wanting to go faster once you start tracking it. Once you experience more power its hard to go back to slower cars.

Well yes, I like this logic, it makes lots of sense, & I'm sure it'll bite me on the a$$ one day when I look at replacing what I've got, although to be fair, I'm hopeful my next car will be a E39 M5........ :) It'll still be slower than a 328, but I think my people will be able to slum it & just accept that............ ;)

Umm, I think the original topic was the gestation period of a Ethiopian fruit fly while its being driven seductively through a tropical area during mild weather in a 318 auto........but I'm happy to be corrected if that's wrong...... ;):rolleyes::)

• Like 1

Well yes, I like this logic, it makes lots of sense, & I'm sure it'll bite me on the a$$ one day when I look at replacing what I've got, although to be fair, I'm hopeful my next car will be a E39 M5........ :) It'll still be slower than a 328, but I think my people will be able to slum it & just accept that............ ;)

Umm, I think the original topic was the gestation period of a Ethiopian fruit fly while its being driven seductively through a tropical area during mild weather in a 318 auto........but I'm happy to be corrected if that's wrong...... ;):rolleyes::)

So it would be shortest in a 328i then?

So it would be shortest in a 328i then?

Umm, no, but yea, aka yes Grasshopper..........close, but yet only half a cigar, nice try though........ ;):)

Depending on how airtight the 328 was, & how many times we had to stop to fix the GLOVEBOX SAG on da way, then hypothetically it should actually live longer but gestate shorter if it travels via a 328....... ;):)

This of course is in parallel perspective with it travelling in a 318, because either A) It would die of boredom on the journey through it taking so long, or C) It would probably drown on the way. :) Through falling into a ditch...............

Edited by Blue-540i

Once you experience more power its hard to go back to slower cars.

Very true, on that point, I want to know more about the e34 5 series. How fast are they really? Getting mixed numbers. Some are saying thy are as fast as 6.5 to 0 -60 on an auto, some say they can hold their own infront of an e36 m3. If I got one would I have to spend thousands to redo the whole suspension back to stock/factory standards if I was to occationally track one? Also hows the fuel economy on them compared to a 328i??

Have you been hitting the cheap bottle with black african immigrants again?? Or is it the Shex? :lol::o:D:lol:

my house is full of fruit fliys :(

IMO E34 or E36 needed suspension etc refreshed at this point doesnt really matter as they are both old cars, its really down to who cared for it. You can get cars in good condition, tidy, look good etc but they are rolling on shitty tyres and cheap shocks, vise versa.

Having sport suspension optioned doesn't mean much as its quite likely been replaced with something inferior or maybe better if you lucky.

You can track E34 like any car. E34 suspension isn't as complex as E36 so less to replace\fix

Ahhhhh, no son - Im looking @ the bottle, well current bottle anyway, & it has a Woodstock label on it - its goooood $hit - you should try it sometime. That weasel pi$$ Lion Red you keep persisting with when having some amber Fanta's with the Ethiopian fruit-flys, we tend to use it as weed-spray down-here ae, good for that & washing out your gumboots but hey, that's bout it........... ;):rolleyes::)

So, what we looking at this weekend dude - hate to point it out but tick tock dickory dock sorta thing, time is counting down on your 2 weeks being up. We need ya to actually tip the piggy bank out so we can then be proactively helping ya on mods info........... ;):) cos we're good like that here. Opps, my baaad - we're awesome like THAT here........... :D

IMO E34 or E36 needed suspension etc refreshed at this point doesnt really matter as they are both old cars, its really down to who cared for it. You can get cars in good condition, tidy, look good etc but they are rolling on shitty tyres and cheap shocks, vise versa.

Having sport suspension optioned doesn't mean much as its quite likely been replaced with something inferior or maybe better if you lucky.

You can track E34 like any car. E34 suspension isn't as complex as E36 so less to replace\fix

Well I've read this a few times now. Sounding waaaay too sensible for a Friday night, but umm, yea, in terms of planet alignment etc, could very well be true. ;):) You're right in that sometimes ppl buy $hit, & then make it take 3 steps backwards from what it should be buy fitting, umm, very average tyres or shocks or whatever.....

Mojo is keen on the red E36 coupe, and I've offered to take a look for him as while I'm working in Hamilton and it's in Morrinsville, I'm a sight closer than he is.

Sadly, the 'quiet week' at work has been anything but, and it'll be near dark before I get out tonight - I'm still here. I'd planned to be away by 4 at the latest... :(

couldnt agree more with the sh*t maintenence, i have an E34 525i sedan here, it is done 350,000kms. my opinion on the way it drives is one thing, but i had a guy come to look at it today and he said it shifts better and drives better than an E39 with 160,000kms earlier that day. Even the Vanos works, must have been rebuilt at least once or twice.

okay this car is scruffy, seats a bit ripped, door cards coming away etc, but the critical stuff is what matters, suspension, gearbox, engine

about the only thing letting it down mechanically are the four different tyres on it

I'd anticipated the E34 being a bit of a bus when compared to an E36, but I was surprised to find the difference in weight is only about 200lbs.

Ahhhhh, no son - Im looking @ the bottle, well current bottle anyway, & it has a Woodstock label on it - its goooood $hit - you should try it sometime. That weasel pi$$ Lion Red you keep persisting with when having some amber Fanta's with the Ethiopian fruit-flys, we tend to use it as weed-spray down-here ae, good for that & washing out your gumboots but hey, that's bout it........... ;):rolleyes::)

So, what we looking at this weekend dude - hate to point it out but tick tock dickory dock sorta thing, time is counting down on your 2 weeks being up. We need ya to actually tip the piggy bank out so we can then be proactively helping ya on mods info........... ;):) cos we're good like that here. Opps, my baaad - we're awesome like THAT here........... :D

You sure its Woodstock and not the cheap potato beer you guys make at home up south with fancy lables? You know back in my day I would drink only fancy wines from Italy. But I have been sober for many years now, half a decade. Dont drink the grape juice, fanta and what have you either. Just a ice cold glass of water will do.

I dont know man, I am still relying on the "sport wagon". options on the e36 328i that I wanted dont look too bright. They all seem to be in the same/similar condtion with the only variable factor being the price and choice of colours. So if I pick one it will be the one with least issues, and best service record. Seems the red one fits that. I AM also looking at a few 540i's but as you know I wanted a 3 series coupe. I will just wait it out for now and see what comes up. :)

cos we're good like that here. Opps, my baaad - we're awesome like THAT here........... :D

WE? Whos We? Speak for yourself..you are living a lie... you are living a lieeee... :lol:

Lay off the booz, would ya?

Edited by MoJoJoe

Mojo is keen on the red E36 coupe, and I've offered to take a look for him as while I'm working in Hamilton and it's in Morrinsville, I'm a sight closer than he is.

Sadly, the 'quiet week' at work has been anything but, and it'll be near dark before I get out tonight - I'm still here. I'd planned to be away by 4 at the latest... :(

Yea, I am still quite keen on it, the owner was quite straight forward and showed me the issues, it seems to have a nice service record aswell, So if everything checks out and Graham finds it any good, I might take it for the right price. Curerntly she lowered the price to 5.5. but even 4.5K would be a bit too much for it.

Ah.. Its almost 9. Sucks. thanks for helping me out Graham, I appreciate it. another day maybe :)

Edited by MoJoJoe

Well I've read this a few times now. Sounding waaaay too sensible for a Friday night, but umm, yea, in terms of planet alignment etc, could very well be true. ;):) You're right in that sometimes ppl buy $hit, & then make it take 3 steps backwards from what it should be buy fitting, umm, very average tyres or shocks or whatever.....

Hahaha what we do without you.

I'd anticipated the E34 being a bit of a bus when compared to an E36, but I was surprised to find the difference in weight is only about 200lbs.

Better rear suspension design and probably a stiffer chassis helps but come track day a good driver in the E34 could make up the difference. Ive been faster around a track in my 535is than cars that should of destroyed me.

I was somewhere else too....but now I've come back here. Like, the wind is gone, so I'm outside filling up the weedsprayer at a tap. As ya do, time to exit a few Lion Browns from this world. So, waiting for the sprayer to fill, & hmmm, turns into dumb question time, as the other half rockz up with "whatchadoing"?? "Well, at the moment, I'm difusing an atom bomb, as ya can clearly see........" :rolleyes::) Picture my weedsprayer is attached to a Honda 500 quad, which is also idling away at the tap........ :rolleyes:

But anyway - I degress - trouble there Graham is ya shoulda been more specific on wheather it was 4pm, or 4am on when ya wanted to hack a track outa there.... ;):)

Good on ya though for going to have a look @ the red gem...........picture 'thumbs-up smillie here"

You sure its Woodstock and not the cheap potato beer you guys make at home up south with fancy lables? You know back in my day I would drink only fancy wines from Italy. But I have been sober for many years now, half a decade. Dont drink the grape juice, fanta and what have you either. Just a ice cold glass of water will do.

I dont know man, I am still relying on the "sport wagon". options on the e36 328i that I wanted dont look too bright. They all seem to be in the same/similar condtion with the only variable factor being the price and choice of colours. So if I pick one it will be the one with least issues, and best service record. Seems the red one fits that. I AM also looking at a few 540i's but as you know I wanted a 3 series coupe. I will just wait it out for now and see what comes up. :)

WE? Whos We? Speak for yourself..you are living a lie... you are living a lieeee... :lol:

Lay off the booz, would ya?

Awww dudeeee - the only gooood things that come from Italy have 2 wheels.........its not found in a bottle ae. I'm struggling with yr 'up south' a bit tooooo - mostly, we're all 'down south' once past Bombay - like, everywhere worth anythink is south of there.......... ;):):D I tend to find water is a bit overated - fish do nasty things in it apparently........ :rolleyes:

We talked bout you & 'sportz wagonz ' the other day from memory - now, much as then, a $2.95 sticker & a set of mags on a hearse, does'not maketh it a 'sport wagon', unless of course you're the one selling it........ ;)

REd, coupe - hmm, soundz good - lets see how it unfolds, haha........... :D

Mojo...you need to pull the trigger...just go and buy, and buy, ....well a BMW 328 really...That was the start of the thread I reckon.

Then let us know how you get on...

I bought my NZ new e39 12 months ago off a guy in Auckland by hitting the `buy now `( $3900) button on tardme after a couple (!) of Steinies. It had 2 owners, same family .

Got it down to ChCh, got it nicely sorted and now I drive a car that was $112000 new ex Jerry Clayton BMW in 1998, for around $6000 at the moment. And my local mechanic who has looked after it wants to buy it off me. These are magnificent cars, they just need to be looked after.

Hit the button brother !!!!!!! Buy one...NOW !

• Like 1

Right - I've got everything sorted here. Time to go home.

Where'd the sun go? It was lovely out, earlier. :(

Sorry Mojo - won't be today. Monday is a possibility, but would it be worth just making your offer and seeing what she says? You know you're in for suspension and/or wheel changes, but the other things you mentioned don't sound like show stoppers.

Unbelievable, how much these cars have depreciated. Still $3900 for an E39 in good condition is a steal. Why did they sell it so cheap? I saw a few riced out ones but even those were asking 7K+. Do you have a link to your ride? I am curious to see just what you got.

You are right on brother, i am going to go for it, lets see how Graham finds it, the red one seems to be the only one I found that I like on tm apart from the other one in Christchurch (your neck of the woods lol), although the interior is falling apart in places as usual, but it has some options and a good service record, its just that I think the owner of the red one might react in a negative manner if I made the offer just yet. So Waiting till I get some feedback from Graham, who knows it could be that it looks good from the outside but drive and motor is crap. I think I will take it if she lets it got for 3.5K or grab a nice 540i.