Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

I wouldn't either.............. ;):)

yeah I wouldn't take that bet

I would. :wub: m3 cams, m50 manifold, shark injectors, a tune (+ some optional 3.5" 540i maf, headers, a ca) will get the m52 around 210 - 220whp. Close to the us spec m3 s52 motors power curve minus the 200cc. Or invest in a m54b30 to m52b28 stroker kit to make it a 3.0L. and the weight diffrence should also be considered so I would think a 328i wouldn't have any problem keeping up with a 528i and wouldn't be that FAR behind a 540i.

but then almost any car can be made faster if you are willing to throw enough money at it. remember the E30 M3's produced about the same power as the e36 328i's. So at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, I dont think I need an M5 or a M3 or the fastest car out there to be happy and content. :)

I think 'Up North' came out with that gem coupla pages back - you counted with what the 540 0-60 time is from memory.......... :) Or some-one did.........

Times nearly up on him buying something, he reckoned 2 weeks............ ;)

He's probably on a Merc forum too, talking bout C200's, & occasionally just to get their attention he'll be going "Bro, I'm thinking bout a 328i......."...... :D;):)

Or are we at the 330 now........haha!! :D

ahh shaddap.. Dont be so senile, Blue. We are comparing a boat with a fat coupe. They are both slow cars, Both (likely) automatics that can do 0 -60 in mid- high 6 seconds. On highway the poor mans m5(540i) will probably be neck to neck with an e36 M3. 328i is no fast car with around 192hp. but they aren't snails to be underestimated either. Driving is not just about going in a straight line or around a circle all the time(ouch), Take it to the track and the luxury sedan (boat) will get out run by the 328i, thats the drivers car. I like both and wouldn't mind keeping the 5 series as a option, but I just like the E36, E30 2 doors better, as well as e34's but. I cant get myself to like a sedan specially the E38 or E39 enough, over a coupe. Just like I prefer the shape of an e36 over an e46. but if the price is close enough I might just pick a e46. Thats not what I am trying to do but does it hurt to have it as an option?

If you wanted fast straight line car I am sure you could get a 300zx tt or a wrx that would keep up with the M3. But I appreciate the 328i / e36 BMWs for what they are.

Edited by MoJoJoe

I like this idea...........theres a new dragstrip over Masterton way (for racing cars, not the other kind that Masterton also does...........!!!!) :huh:

They've just about finished rubbering Meremere for this weekend's racing, too. :D Good grief... Rubbering up for a drag race... :o:unsure:

Back on topic, would it be fair to say an E36 is most likely a simpler car than a E46? (I don't know - I've never owned an E36.) That may be a consideration if longer-term ownership is likely.

I would. :wub: m3 cams, m50 manifold, shark injectors, a tune (+ some optional 3.5" 540i maf, headers, a ca) will get the m52 around 210 - 220whp. Close to the us spec m3 s52 motors power curve minus the 200cc. Or invest in a m54b30 to m52b28 stroker kit to make it a 3.0L. and the weight diffrence should also be considered so I would think a 328i wouldn't have any problem keeping up with a 528i and wouldn't be that FAR behind a 540i.

but then almost any car can be made faster if you are willing to throw enough money at it. remember the E30 M3's produced about the same power as the e36 328i's. So at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, I dont think I need an M5 or a M3 or the fastest car out there to be happy and content. :)

ahh shaddap.. Dont be so senile, Blue. We are comparing a boat with a fat coupe. They are both slow cars, Both (likely) automatics that can do 0 -60 in mid- high 6 seconds. On highway the poor mans m5(540i) will probably be neck to neck with an e36 M3. 328i is no fast car with around 192hp. but they aren't snails to be underestimated either. Driving is not just about going in a straight line or around a circle all the time(ouch), Take it to the track and the luxury sedan (boat) will get out run by the 328i, thats the drivers car. I like both and wouldn't mind keeping the 5 series as a option, but I just like the E36, E30 2 doors better, as well as e34's but. I cant get myself to like a sedan specially the E38 or E39 enough, over a coupe. Just like I prefer the shape of an e36 over an e46. but if the price is close enough I might just pick a e46. Thats not what I am trying to do but does it hurt to have it as an option?

If you wanted fast straight line car I am sure you could get a 300zx tt or a wrx that would keep up with the M3. But I appreciate the 328i / e36 BMWs for what they are.

My bad - thought we were still talking std 328 vs std 540, not the bit where you were stroking it etc :rolleyes: ......or entering a M3 into it as ya weren't buying one of those......hard to keep up with ya around here............

But yes - both are slow. What was it again that ya reckoned was quicker outa the BMW stable for the 4k ya wanna spend........?? :D

Straight fast line is nooooooooooooo goooooood for ya anyway - Al's road has got at least 1 tricky corner / ditch in it........... ;):)

Nah Graham, anything is on topic in here ae...........I'm starting to wonder bout a E36 motor/box transplant into a E46 - how quick would that be??

As an eg of topic - yea, nah, I dunno, I think that $1200 option on yr turbo sounds not baaad.........the newer technology one might be 'better', but is dearer, & probably just adds bit extra loading maybe on the motor that's done 320,00km....... :)

Edited by Blue-540i

Hahaha this has a topic

dsc0120.jpg

:D

Davis hit St Clair's head, knocking him out, then grabbed his underwear and gave him an "atomic wedgie," by pulling the underwear over his stepfather's head.

"I'd never seen this before, but when we first looked at our victim seeing the waistband of his underwear was around his neck," Pottawatomie County Sheriff Mike Booth told NewsOK.

My bad - thought we were still talking std 328 vs std 540, not the bit where you were stroking it etc :rolleyes: ......or entering a M3 into it as ya weren't buying one of those......hard to keep up with ya around here............

But yes - both are slow. What was it again that ya reckoned was quicker outa the BMW stable for the 4k ya wanna spend........?? :D

Straight fast line is nooooooooooooo goooooood for ya anyway - Al's road has got at least 1 tricky corner / ditch in it........... ;):)

Lol..We are :D

1996 BMW 328i 0-60 6.3. 1/4 mile 14.8

1993 BMW 540i 0-60 6.8 1/4 mile 15.1

Okay Both 328i and 540i autos are going to be about the same in a straight line, Race will be driver and cars condtion dependent. But you gotta keep the weight as a factor too, specially on a track where weight, menuvurablity, breaks and stuff matter, the 328i would win. i would say high ends are where we would see the sweet spot of the 540i V8 Power. I am not stroking it, I am just giving an example. the M50/M52 engines have some potential to make some extra grunt even with minor modifications.

:rolleyes:

I wanna spend more, I Can Strech it to 7- 8K if I have to. But regardless what I spend, more or less, I am getting the same deal give or take. The e36 is an old car, most have over 150K on the odo, have this and that falling apart, interior will need work on almost all of them, from the looks of it all will need the cooling system overhauled aswell. So I am looking for something with a good maintenence history and better condtion, and if that can be had for a wee bit less then I dont mind.

To be honest I would say the 540i would be the better deal due to better interior, more room, more features, better engine torque/ power. Not essientially that its faster then a 328i or the otherway around, its just that I dont think a 4 door luxury sedan is what I am looking for. But it wont hurt to keep as an option if all else fails I will jump the 540i bandwagon.

Hahaha this has a topic

It all went south...... ;):lol::P:)

getting back on topic....

Edited by MoJoJoe

:o I can soooooo do this - it goes mike fastest, then Davis, & due to being dead - St Clair is slowest ae...........aka third place.

Let me guess - I win a ride in a 318?? 2nd prize is 2 rides............ ;):rolleyes::)

Lol how come we've changed the e39 to a e34

I noticed that too, but its on topic & relevant............ :rolleyes: I think it might be auto vs manual too.......... :rolleyes: & my voices are thinking the 328 is measured from 10,000ft. Up. Outa the back of a plane. Without a chute....................

Lol how come we've changed the e39 to a e34

I thought thats what blue said he had?

1995 BMW 540i 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.6

1998 BMW 540i Sport 0-60 mph 5.4 Quarter mile 14.0

^ e39 wins. <_<:(:unsure:

But I still dont think I want one, yet. Just a personal preference I dont think I like the shape that much. If we are going the speed route, probably faster cars too.

Edited by MoJoJoe

But I still dont think I want one, yet. Just a personal preference. If we are going the speed route. probably faster cars too.

Noooooooooooo Grasshopper :rolleyes: ..........no. :rolleyes: But yes, it is what I've got ;):D ...........but umm, you're not buying that :rolleyes: .............you were talking bout 540's in terms of buying the one Jamie has got that's not for sale, so it was E39 540 stats.............

E34 540i is under rated power wise and does a low 6 second 0-100 too. I agree they are basically the same until you start reaching high speeds where the 540i would start to pull away from 328i.

If you want a affordable robust E34 you can take to track etc the 535is is the go. 540i is a good daily driver and cruiser

I'll be putting my E34 540i on the market shortly for cheap

Noooooooooooo Grasshopper :rolleyes: ..........no. :rolleyes: But yes, it is what I've got ;):D ...........but umm, you're not buying that :rolleyes: .............you were talking bout 540's in terms of buying the one Jamie has got that's not for sale, so it was E39 540 stats.............

I know what you guys are trying to do, ;) they are a lot more car for the money, I have nothing against the cars. Its just that I dont want anymore 4 doors. I wanted a coupe with some grunt, doesn't have to be the fastest car out there. Something nice and fun to drive and track thats all. I want a more driver oriented car, not one that makes me look too old and boring. Fine I will look at some e39's too on tardme. happy?but it cant have those gay lowring springs and rims that make it look ricey/ghetto/gay. -_-

I'll be putting my E34 540i on the market shortly for cheap

Why are you selling it? Anything wrong with it?

Have you done any work apart from the regular upkeep? Show me some pictures, after the e36 and e30, e24. the e34 is my favorite car. I have never driven one though. :)

You live up north - just do what everyone else up there does to make a coupe :rolleyes: - mig the rear doors shut, bita bog, can of spray, you're away..........we could do ya a primo deal on a E39 coupe or fast-back............(fast back being a Touring with rear doors migged shut........) ;)

• Like 1

You live up north - just do what everyone else up there does to make a coupe :rolleyes: - mig the rear doors shut, bita bog, can of spray, you're away..........we could do ya a primo deal on a E39 coupe or fast-back............(fast back being a Touring with rear doors migged shut........) ;)

You're a very bad man... B);)

Why are you selling it? Anything wrong with it?

Have you done any work apart from the regular upkeep? Show me some pictures, after the e36 and e30, e24. the e34 is my favorite car. I have never driven one though. :)

PM'd

you guys are on some f**ked up sh*t eh

you guys are on some f**ked up sh*t eh

:D Some worse than others............but yea, cheers for that, we aim to please around here......... ;):):lol:

But I still dont think I want one, yet. Just a personal preference I dont think I like the shape that much. If we are going the speed route, probably faster cars too.

I'd like to see an E39 do that time, even the manual ones in magazines haven't been that quick, 5.9 is the best I've seen and generally 6.2-6.4 for an auto. An E34 at 6.1 seems optimistic too.

6.5s for an E34 540i is probably more realistic but diff ratio and driver influence it. Best ive seen quoted for an E39 540i is 5.6s which was from a manual motorsport with M62B44 engine. End of the day i don't think most people would care too much about 0-100 times.

i don't think most people would care too much about 0-100 times.

;) Dead right IMO - I don't, in relation to my own car anyway - its quick enough for me for what it is & as a package I think its primo, specially given the era its from etc. Its funny though, as there was some dribble somewhere from Toyota saying 'how quick' the new 250?? Lexus is on 0-100, (8.3secs) & I automatically thought to myself when I seen it "My 540 is quicker than that......" I know its not comparing apples with apples by any stretch of the imagination, but its interesting how the mind works sometimes...... :)

Mines quick enough, & if I wanna go faster, I'd just jump on a bike....... :D

Anyone got the time for a 318 auto, or does that involve a calendar instead of a stop-watch.........

Edited by Blue-540i

Na one gives a shhhhiiiaat but it's funny to argue about it

• Like 1