Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Speeding and speed limits

Sometimes Brands are Important.

Every time Surviving Crashes are important.

I would pick an 90's BMW over a safer new Honda/KIA.

off topic: nice price on the car. I am in the market for a good e36. wasn't expecting to get something decent for that much. are you considering selling yours by chance?

Sorry, but hell no! Took me years to save for and install the manual & LSD- I ain't about to walk away from it now! Bought it as an auto from a guy that wanted to be completely rid of an ex girlfriend.

Besides which, I still need to work out how to fit an M60 into it ;)

Yes, I think that was me! Are you the same bmw driver that was stopped by that tourist?

Haha! No... Maybe was my father - he said something about it... though I think he came later on - while the cop was there, parked in the drive on the corner?

Seems the cops got there faster than when my house was broken into earlier in December... At least they did a good job when they DID get here though.

It's pretty rugged down over that bank - the last car I saw pulled out required a salvage truck, and the back end was bent up a long way! It's a complex corner with the start of decent, changing camber and tightening radius.

There's about 4 spots where I regularly see cars parked in the weeds (often 4WD/SUV's) - where you went, and a few spots on Whareora Road (the straighter bit!), where the bumps just before or after the corners seems to upset them. Seen a couple of Pajeros and Hiluxs wrong way up, and the same Telstar V6 XRi in a paddock... twice :lol:

Yea probably, but the cop was still there when I left. I waited an hour for them and the tow to show up so I could leave. have some damage to my rear quarter too. I go down that way at latest once or twice a week. sometimes just for a drive up mt. tiger. All the bends and twists are nice with just me and no one else around. you really feel the car up that road. My car felt like on rails all the time I have been up there. So I drove as usual with rain as the contributing factor + my stupid radio with iggy pop. counter steering didnt help other then make the car go do a 180. Maybe I should have applied more throttle but I just felt since it was kinda down hill, so once it hydro planed and started to skid all bets were off and i decided to just give up and let it do its thing,

dont worry, I will be back soon up your way in another bmw, any other car just wont cut it that way. :D

...that was bought for less than 3k and on the basis of proven safety rather than the badge glued to it. if a kia could prove mechanical reliability and soundness of engineering then i'd just as happily drive one. brands aren't important. surviving crashes is.

I'd much prefer to just avoid crashes, full stop personally........... ;):)

• Like 1

I'd much prefer to just avoid crashes, full stop personally........... ;):)

Agreed! Both crashes were E36's, one an M3 that was t-boned on the passenger side (belonged to a mate, happily he was the only one in the car) and my partners 320i. She got hit across the drivers front corner, sending her through a 720 deg spin, coming to rest on the pavement against a concrete block fence. She walked away from the crash with a minor concussion and a small bruise on her left ankle. I have photos of the wreck, the drivers chassis rail had migrated across by about 8 inches, and there wasn't a straight panel anywhere on the car except the roof.

Thats why I buy BMWs. Both people quite possibly would be dead were they in cars less over-engineered.

• Like 1

I tend to stick to the speed limits, I don't begrudge people who travel marginally above the limit but they know the consequences of being caught.

My main issue is with the "war on speed" which seems to be going on. I wish there would be such publicised and energetic campaigns by the police on burglary, public drunkenness/fighting, petty crime such as graffiti and drug crime. I think the police are just creating a simmering sense of resentment among the public with this kind of thing whilst the perception is that the streets are becoming more unsafe for joe-public. I certainly have less respect for them and their leadership with each lowering of the sensible 10km/h tolerance we currently have.

• Like 2

Thought I should do a follow up. :)

Guess what turned up in the mail this morning! I got some good news and some bad news!

The Police sent me a letter, seems they knew it wont hold up very well in court. So they came up with something else, sent me a $400 fine "for breaching condtions on my FULL NZ lisence" I guess condtions include do not call the cops. :lol:

The Police has Reviewed the circumstances and as there was no other car involved in the matter has decided to issue you with a warning for careless driving and have withdrawn the careless driving charge.

You will no longer be required to attend court, and sumons served on you at road side has been cancelled.

As you were the only occupant of the vehicle you have been issued with an infringment notice for breaching the condtions of your license with is a $400 fine.

I have been Driving here for almost a decade, and i owned that car for 5 or so years. I want to pay the fine but I wont, my records are clean, it was my mistake calling him to report it as a good citizen would, but since he cant come up with some rap to put on me for sliding the car into a ditch other than this rubbish "careless driving without an occupant"...(What a load of.. :rolleyes: )..then screw it

I am thinking to take this up to court, he gave me like 28 days from the 7th. Maybe go talk to one of those free lawyers you some guys here mentioned? Maybe represent myself or have him talk for me. eitherway, this would be fun... :D

Edited by MoJoJoe

I am thinking to take this up to court, he gave me like 28 days from the 7th. Maybe go talk to one of those free lawyers you some guys here mentioned? Maybe represent myself or have him talk for me. eitherway, this would be fun... :D

I had something similar-ish happen (nobody else involved, called police out of some misplaced sense of good citizenship), went to court- was given diversion and told to donate $100 to a charity they had a list of. Cheaper and much less drama than the road you're thinking of :P

If you've got a full Class 1 licence issued before the ditch parking happened, they haven't got a leg to stand on mate...........but by the same token, the careless use of a motor vehicle being withdrawn is a major plus, as it means the chance of disqualification is no longer hanging over your head...... ;):)

Which by default, also means it'll be so much easier for you to get your $hit together on making the planets align on BUYING SOMETHING ELSE........... :D:)

I had something similar-ish happen (nobody else involved, called police out of some misplaced sense of good citizenship), went to court- was given diversion and told to donate $100 to a charity they had a list of. Cheaper and much less drama than the road you're thinking of :P

Lol. But he pulled me out of court? They knew it was a overeaction which wont hold very well in court, so they dropped it and went after the lisence. I hear stuff like this happens around that that road once in a while. I am not the first guy and surely wont be the last to have lost controll or had something gone wrong.

Here's what it says on the back of the ticket he printed out for me

4. You must write to the enforcement authority if you wish to do any of the following

a. raise a matter concerning circumstances of an alleged offence for consideration by the enforcement authority

b. deny liablity of the offence and request a court hearing

c. admit liablity for the offence and have the court consider submissions as to penalty. or otherwise in your letter you must request a hearing, admit liablity in respect of the offence, and set out submissions that you would like the court to consider.

I am thinking either a or b or both.

PS: I am sure they will eat away the money that goes into charity aswell. from what I gather 90% of the time most of the proceedings never reach where it should. :o

I thought breaching license conditions is suppose to be a $100 fine now days not $400.

One thing ive learnt is never put trust police and never admit liability, they love to scare\trick you.

Option A, then B if you have to. Like Blue-540i said i they haven't got anything to stand on and will probably drop their balls.

If you've got a full Class 1 licence issued before the ditch parking happened, they haven't got a leg to stand on mate...........but by the same token, the careless use of a motor vehicle being withdrawn is a major plus, as it means the chance of disqualification is no longer hanging over your head...... ;):)

Which by default, also means it'll be so much easier for you to get your $hit together on making the planets align on BUYING SOMETHING ELSE........... :D:)

Hey Blue, how ya doing :P

I dont get it, the letter says "We have decided to issue you with a warning of careless driving and withdrawn the carless driving charge". So he takes out the charge and just issues me with a warning.

Yea I have a Class 1 Lisence, My lisence has the number 9.c/e on the back (looked up at http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/photo/about.html). I have held my lisence like this for nearly a decade now. I wonder if this is an issue of the lisence they are now trying to use against me, It says 'Checks on your lisense status shows you having a FULL lisense with the condtion to have a supervisor accompany you?

edit:

Thanks guys, I just read the other replies; So should I write a letter to them describing my side and asking them to reconsider? as a. or go in to visit them in the doughnut shop? I bet written statements have move weight then speaking to one of the po po in person.

Edited by MoJoJoe

On your full licence it has this 'Must be accomoneed by a supervisor' as a condition, on the back of it..............??? Is so, you're f#cked - you've got no defence to that.........

Edit; As a hint though, if that's there, there will be a reason that was originally imposed............. ;) which only you will know. Maybe you now need to work on getting that condition removed...........after ya pay that 4hundy fine............ ;)

Edited by Blue-540i

I thought breaching license conditions is suppose to be a $100 fine now days not $400.

One thing ive learnt is never put trust police and never admit liability, they love to scare\trick you.

Option A, then B if you have to. Like Blue-540i said i they haven't got anything to stand on and will probably drop their balls.

'Learner driver unaccompanied' is a different charge, different fine I think you'll find...........slightly different from Mojo's situation.

On your full licence it has this 'Must be accomoneed by a supervisor' as a condition, on the back of it..............??? Is so, you're f#cked - you've got no defence to that.........

Edit; As a hint though, if that's there, there will be a reason that was originally imposed............. ;) which only you will know. Maybe you now need to work on getting that condition removed...........after ya pay that 4hundy fine............ ;)

Yea it does :ph34r: But says Moped/ATV. wtf. But I am not a learner, I have been driving for a long time. lol I had my full international lisence converted to an NZ Full lisence when I was a student here. Never had a problem, Maybe there has been a misunderstanding somewhere. maybe I should try b. instead or talk to a lawyer? or just try a. and write to them explaining the situation. Worth a try before I just give them $400 ;)

Edited by MoJoJoe

Where exactly does it say this? In the letter they just sent you?

The letter from the doughnut shop says this. And I checked at my license says something thing like that! :(

Definitely option a but I'm not sure you should be asking them to reconsider. You sound like you're in a position to tell them to STFU (politely). If my understand is correct that:

1. You have a full license; AND,

2. There are no conditions listed on that license; AND,

3. You are not otherwise restricted from driving (previous conviction); then,

They've made a mistake and you should let them know.

1. Yes. SAYS FULL DRIVERS LICENSE on the hollowgram.

2. There is that condtion that says accompanied by supervisor except moped/atv. :o

3. no, never had a ticket in my life. Clean Record. (They'll never get me ALIVE! Muhahahahahah!)

I should just write to them? I dont know, I am confussed. :unsure:

Edited by MoJoJoe

i recall sitting a test and then paid the fees to have this converted from an international license and got this in the mail and that was that

The License still says Full on the hologram but ah well. Who knows, guess I will just write to him and say there may be an administrative mistake somewhere, maybe talk to a lawyer and say I cant pay the fine due to financial reasons :rolleyes: or I'll just give him the lunch money for buying more doughnuts. <_<

;):) Yea, I wondered if it was international conversion that's tripped ya up. Try a), but don't hold your breath on it - high odds you're buying $400 of doughnuts dude..... ;):)

Look at the bright side though - you're not on careless use charge anymore......... ;)

Edit - the test ya sat, I'm willing to bet it wasn't a 'proper class 1 full practical driving assessment'?? Odds are high you'll maybe need to pass one of those to get that condition removed......

BTW, "Welcome to NZ"......... ;):)

Edited by Blue-540i

;):) See the supervisor you were 'supposed' to have with you, would've been profusely b1tch-slapping you silly before you tried to take that corner toooo fast in the wet.........and even if it had gone pear-shaped, that same supervisor after slapping you a bit more, would've then said "No son, no need to call the Police out, its a non-injury, non-damage to other's property incident - doesn't need reported......." :rolleyes:

But I thought I should report it. :( The whole thing is a scam man. I have been driving almost longer then one of the officers had held his job for. I have driven by that road so many times...I admit my driving skills are nothing to document or write home about, but I consider myself a good driver overall, Have you seen the asians drive in auckland? Something went wrong alright. I did replace one of the wheels a month of so ago from firestone(have receipts), it went completely flat over night. I wonder if the other wheel...

besides, supervisors are only for asian drivers and some southerners, unless if its a female supervisor of course then again most of them dont have a full license.

Lols. ^^^^ :D Hmm, maybe - look, suck it up, pay your $400, fix your licence, & go.buy.a.car. ;):rolleyes::DYou are being side-tracked from your true mission this week, which is 'buy a car' - any car. The Police are being nice at you by withdrawing the careless bit, so sing 'yippy yi yay' from here to eternity on the far horizons as you search for the new ditch magnet. It's out there, we know this - its got YOUR name all over it - its just waiting for ya.......

Car. Must have item for you. In your driveway. By end of this week. ;) You. CAN. Do. It. - Car. C.A.R............. :D Like, We're not talking nuclear science here ae... :D

fine, fine. you are right, I am getting side tracked. :rolleyes:

I can always write to him after I get the car and see if I can get them to write it off, maybe I'll send them my license.(I used to have an extra copy). Either you replace the word D with a B, or curses be on yer yapper blue, you want me to ditch another one.

the guy hasn't logged into trademe or replied to my messages, waiting for him to get back..

I have cars on my drive way, its just not that car. :wub:

• Like 1

Guys I think I found a loop in the hole of the law.

I think there's a small clearance out of it wiout buying $400 worth doughnuts.

send your blessings my way please :)

edit: blue, your picture looks ugly, thank your wife she married you. ;):P

Edited by MoJoJoe