Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Opinions E39...

I did the deed and sold my old E38 baby (*snuffles*) and am looking for something to pull a trailer load occasionally (my E38 was too low)

I know the best is SUV/4WD but I have owned nothing but a BMW and really don't want to look the other way... So I ask you fellow forum members, for opinions on the E39.

I have found a really nice 540i that I am keen on, but what are the benefits to the others (528i, 530i, 535i) and it will need to be able to pull a braked trailer load of 1200kg occasionally..

So the things I know are the basics, bigger engine, more NM and HP/KW, but what about reliability, consumption and the lot. It will be my daily drive.

Ups and downs, personal experiences etc all welcome

hey amber, i think with that weight trailer you are on the right path with a 540i. Driven normally the V8 has pretty decent fuel consumption.

I wouldn't want to regularly tow anything that heavy with a 6cyl.

Oh I should add. I've owned a e39 for the best past of the last 10 years. As long as you look after them they are brilliant cars.

Edited by M5V8

540i would be the best for towing due to low end torque. As reliability they both got their flaws but i think it would come down to the individual car(whats been replaced, service life etc) Obviously the V8 would cost a bit more to maintain\run and wont handle quite as good as the 6's but it does have a quite a power advantage.

I think you'd have to drive both to see what you'd prefer as they both got their advantages

I am going from the 728i, which I found for a cruiser was awesome, had a little power there when I had those lead foot days.

Opinions on the 535i? I see there is one on TM pretty reasonable price.
I have heard they are amazing cars, and the past 740iL I had with the same engine as the pre 98s, was just amazing, and so reliable. Never ever had problems with it...

I am leaning severly towards 540i now!

For me E39 535i is just a poors mans 540i(like a 320i vs 325i) it no benefits besides being potentially cheaper than 540i but i wouldn't bother. The <98 V8 is a good engine not quite as durable as the 4L but yeah still pretty reliable as long as its been looked after.

For me E39 535i is just a poors mans 540i(like a 320i vs 325i) it no benefits besides being potentially cheaper than 540i but i wouldn't bother. The <98 V8 is a good engine not quite as durable as the 4L but yeah still pretty reliable as long as its been looked after.

Thanks for that - I am going to ask a blonde question, but all the E39s sport a 4.4L yes/no? I believe the facelift one is slightly quicker with about 440NM? Would it be worth pursuing a Facelift model, or just keep with the general M62B44? (I think that was the engine in post 1996 740i/Ls) Or are there also 4L E39s? :huh:

No 4L E39's

I prefer the M62B44 over the facelift TU one myself but how well its been looked after and whats been replaced on it etc takes priority.

+1

like anything, but especially older european cars the service history is important. you want to know it's had quality regular servicing and by a reputable place.

otherwise you are buying the unknown. when things go wrong they can go expensively wrong.

also.

if you are buying one with a towbar already make sure you get it checked. Gearbox's can get knackered really easily from lack of service / towing over the rating.

• Like 1

I think the M62TU is a better engine performance-wise but because it is a bit more complex than the M62 so there's more that can go wrong. The unique issues are generally around the Vanos timing unit. A lot of the people who prefer the non-vanos M62 do all of their own maintenance and the double vanos on the M62TU is a b*tch of a thing to work on if you're a DIY mechanic. If you're planning to have it serviced by a professional mechanic I think the TU is the better engine.

The TU engine came in before the facelift so if you don't want it make sure you check the VIN rather than banking on pre-facelift.

+1

like anything, but especially older european cars the service history is important. you want to know it's had quality regular servicing and by a reputable place.

otherwise you are buying the unknown. when things go wrong they can go expensively wrong.

also.

if you are buying one with a towbar already make sure you get it checked. Gearbox's can get knackered really easily from lack of service / towing over the rating.

Cheers for that pointer - good idea to check if it already has one.

What's the suspension like for hopping a load on the back of a 540i? Don't want it dragging it's ass on the ground :/

I think the M62TU is a better engine performance-wise but because it is a bit more complex than the M62 so there's more that can go wrong. The unique issues are generally around the Vanos timing unit. A lot of the people who prefer the non-vanos M62 do all of their own maintenance and the double vanos on the M62TU is a b*tch of a thing to work on if you're a DIY mechanic. If you're planning to have it serviced by a professional mechanic I think the TU is the better engine.

The TU engine came in before the facelift so if you don't want it make sure you check the VIN rather than banking on pre-facelift.

Thank you :)

I would of been the one to bank on the Pre-Facelift Idea. Ta

Cheers for that pointer - good idea to check if it already has one.

What's the suspension like for hopping a load on the back of a 540i? Don't want it dragging it's ass on the ground :

someone correct me if I'm wrong. But at least some 540's come with self leveling rear suspension.

basically once the car starts up it registers there's load in the rear and will raise the back to level the car. It really depends on the car if it was optioned.

someone correct me if I'm wrong. But at least some 540's come with self leveling rear suspension.

basically once the car starts up it registers there's load in the rear and will raise the back to level the car. It really depends on the car if it was optioned.

My E38 and Dad's old E320 Merc had this - was great. But I think it's only E39 wagons that sport the SLS? Or as you say, if it was optioned.

• Like 1

Have not seen an E39 sedan with self levelling, but they did come with EDC, which basically gives you comfort or sport damper settings.

around 12-13l/100km of mixed environment driving for the Sep 98' onwards 540i. Slightly less for the 528i.

Problem with the e39's are that they're getting old, and too expensive for some people to keep in good condition which is why they're on sold, and look to be a real bargain.

If your heart's set on a 540i go for one that has the best Engine, drive-train and suspension condition, regardless of it being the M62TU model, or if it's a sport or non sport model. Especially if it's going to be towing that much.

• Like 1

Go for M62 if possible Amber and if the seller is agreeable bring it to us for a check over. Have some new H&R /Bilstein adjustables for the rear if needed.

Hellboy went to Whangamata and back round trip (440k`s) in E39 540 touring towing tandem car transporter with E46 M3 on board- used $170 gas.

Keeping in mind that it gets driven like there is nothing being towed that is pretty economical.

Forget the 6 cyl idea if you are towing horse float.

Go for M62 if possible Amber and if the seller is agreeable bring it to us for a check over. Have some new H&R /Bilstein adjustables for the rear if needed.

Hellboy went to Whangamata and back round trip (440k`s) in E39 540 touring towing tandem car transporter with E46 M3 on board- used $170 gas.

Keeping in mind that it gets driven like there is nothing being towed that is pretty economical.

Bugger Ray, you know me too well lol.

Sweet, hoping to have a nosy at it, and will ask them if I can bring over to you guys (can't see any reason why they would say no!)

Just going through a list of things that I know can/could go wrong and too look for,

Anybody feel the need to add to it?

Radiator Necks - Cracking

Cooling system,

02 Sensors

Worn Bushes (My 728i cost me an arm and leg for failings its wof everytime on this!!)

Gearbox smooth running

And generally good condition, ticking over nicely, not dripping oil or burning oil.

Not worried on the pixels in the dash or pity things that won't affect the cars performance or well being :)

And depending on what your towing you will need a trans cooler, i towed my old e34 race car a few times with my old 2002 540i motorsport, suspension was too low and didnt like stop starts, the trans would get too hot, common fault, a friend towed his 2002tii race car with his 540i only a couple of years older same issue, but other than that....what trailer!

And depending on what your towing you will need a trans cooler, i towed my old e34 race car a few times with my old 2002 540i motorsport, suspension was too low and didnt like stop starts, the trans would get too hot, common fault, a friend towed his 2002tii race car with his 540i only a couple of years older same issue, but other than that....what trailer!

How much extra will this set me back - Shouldn't be towing more than 1200kg, but could possibly on the odd occasion...

I've done a bit of towing with my 540i touring and its the ducks nuts!! Towed an e34 on a braked trailer no problem! Didnt notice any issue with the trans overheating, they have a cooler (of sorts) as standard. Mine is m62tu, also the sls is great, try and get one with a factory towbar, theyre less likely to have wiring gremlins! Good luck!!

Pretty sure 540i's if auto already have a trans cooler factory fitted, I know the Vanos models do (Sep 98' onwards). Have you got the rego or chassis # of the 540i you like?

Bushes and balljoints in the e39 are common wear - expect to replace some

Brownish coloured plastics for the cooling system a sure sign the end is near

A full diagnostic check including the trans and once over by Ray is your best bet.

Pretty sure 540i's if auto already have a trans cooler factory fitted, I know the Vanos models do (Sep 98' onwards). Have you got the rego or chassis # of the 540i you like?

A full diagnostic check including the trans and once over by Ray is your best bet.

Got a few I have my eye on -

ESM918 - Towbar already on, saves me some $$, so leaning towards this one.. High Ks so a bit mmmahhh.

FPY709

and 535i

695446121 - no Number plate.

Got a few I have my eye on -

ESM918 - Towbar already on, saves me some $$, so leaning towards this one.. High Ks so a bit mmmahhh.

FPY709

and 535i

695446121 - no Number plate.

ESM918 - This car was a member's (DarkWolf) on here. You should buy on condition not mileage.

• Like 1

I feel alot more comfortable towing with a manual transmission

I did Christchurch to Hamilton on about bit a less than 2 tanks of fuel in my 540i6, mostly driving at speed limit.

The M62TU has more pull down low till around 3000rpm but M62 makes more power. Plenty of dyno's showing the M62 non vanos is the better engine for overall performance.

ESM918 - This car was a member's (DarkWolf) on here. You should buy on condition not mileage.

Generally do - but have noticed things to start conking out the higher the ks are. In two weeks after hitting 170ks my E38 needed a new starter motor and Fuel pump, so a bit on the careful side when looking at higher ks

Ahh sweet, thanks for that :)

Yep they do have one, but its small, needs to be bigger, and to be fair it was almost 30 degrees outside which didn't help